Newcastle United 1-2 Watford - 19/09/15 - Post-match reaction from page 21

Greg

We were much better in the second half - arguably as good as we've been this season (obviously not saying much mind) - but we are so chronically sluggish coming out of the blocks. Colback offers no protection whatsoever to the backline and was nowhere to be seen for their second goal. I actually thought Thauvin was one of our better players today, alongside Janmaat, Sissoko and Wijnaldum in the second half. Cisse is just a waste of a shirt these days, pathetic display once again.

Thauvin showed for the last 15 mins of the first half, I wouldn't write him off yet. Watford defended really well down that side, and Haidara offered no help like Janmaat did on the other flank.

We were much better in the second half - arguably as good as we've been this season (obviously not saying much mind) - but we are so chronically sluggish coming out of the blocks. Colback offers no protection whatsoever to the backline and was nowhere to be seen for their second goal. I actually thought Thauvin was one of our better players today, alongside Janmaat, Sissoko and Wijnaldum in the second half. Cisse is just a waste of a shirt these days, pathetic display once again.

Can't really fault Colback for second goal. Colo loses the header and decides to stand and let the opponent turn and pass through without putting any pressure :D That is the basic of defending man. Mbemba didn't follow the run but awful from Colo

That was was one of the worst Newcastle performances I've ever seen. I think I've probably said that a lot over the last two years, but that one really was dreadful. It's a good job Watford are shite because we would've been crucified against a decent side.

Plenty of criticism all round, but Winjaldum's disappearing act seems to be so good that he escapes scrutiny. Absolute shite. Shite shite shite.

I'm disgusted with this team right now, it started pre-season, I know result mean nothing, blah, blah, blah, but you could see we had problems back then and nothing has changed since. McClaren has had 14 games now (including pre-season) we've won 3 of them against Gateshead, Sacremento and Northampton !!! FFS that's terrible.

Flores has been in the job less time than him has his team playing well and picking up points, no more excuses for needing time in my book.

We should have had two penalties today mind.

I'm surprised the players didn't make more of a argument for the second one. It didn't look like the defender got anywhere near the ball and clearly took down Perez.

It is quiet worrying that again De Jong was very little involved. He made nice touches and played few brilliant passes, but very quiet game again for him.

Looks to me to be neither a midfielder or a forward. You might be able to do that in the Dutch league but in the premier you've got to be prepared to put your foot in.

It is quiet worrying that again De Jong was very little involved. He made nice touches and played few brilliant passes, but very quiet game again for him.

Looks to me to be neither a midfielder or a forward. You might be able to do that in the Dutch league but in the premier you've got to be prepared to put your foot in.

Aye I mean we really can't find a way to get him involved. He should be floating between the lines playing through balls to Sissoko, Thauvin and Perez. Now he is a bit like more intelligent and technical Cisse. No involment in the build up.

I'm on the train back home from the game. First time I've been in a while and on what I saw I doubt I'll be going back any time soon. Colback tries really hard but he can't pass five yards. Haidara is a wreck of a player and needs instantly dropping. He played a huge role in their first goal and then far from learning from it, he gave the ball away in the same position in the second half. That nearly cost us again. Cisse is literally not trying, to the point where Wijnaldum had to come out and pressure the keeper because Cisse wouldn't bother.

De Jong literally has to start. As soon as he came on, he was looking for a positive pass in a way nobody else in the team can. Janmaat despite some poor crosses was our best player by absolutely miles. Thauvin kept knocking it forward, running into a defender and diving. I didn't think much of him on my first live viewing of him. Aarons looked more positive in ten minutes than Thauvin did the whole game.

In summary we were better second half but that's not saying much. We also failed to push on once we got the goal back. We look like we never have energy and urgency. At present we're a dreadful side destined for relegation.

I know people want to see more attacking football but I just don't think we've got the defenders. Reckon our best hope is to ditch trying to pass and just grind the shit out of games until January and get a proper centre back in (fat chance) and a centre mid that knows how to shield defence that isn't a midget.

First half was shit, too many players looked scared and didn't take responsibility. Played 4-3-3 in the first but we were too congested with Thauvin and Perez dropping inside a lot (and neither are quick to go on the outside), the lack of space totally nullified Wijnaldum and Sissoko, and Cisse was his current shit self. The 4-2-3-1 opened up some of the pitch for Wijnaldum in the second and Sissoko out wide pinned them back and he caused more damage there but it just wasn't enough. We're missing presence up top, badly, and presence at the back. I don't like Tiote but, Christ, he'd do a better job than Colback and Anita at protecting our joke of a captain from shitting himself.

The players' attitude in the first worried the shit out of me, hardly any backbone between them.

I don't know where you go from here, really.

I know people want to see more attacking football but I just don't think we've got the defenders. Reckon our best hope is to ditch trying to pass and just grind the s*** out of games until January and get a proper centre back in (fat chance) and a centre mid that knows how to shield defence that isn't a midget.

First half was s***, too many players looked scared and didn't take responsibility. Played 4-3-3 in the first but we were too congested with Thauvin and Perez dropping inside a lot (and neither are quick to go on the outside), the lack of space totally nullified Wijnaldum and Sissoko, and Cisse was his current s*** self. The 4-2-3-1 opened up some of the pitch for Wijnaldum in the second and Sissoko out wide pinned them back and he caused more damage there but it just wasn't enough. We're missing presence up top, badly, and presence at the back. I don't like Tiote but, Christ, he'd do a better job than Colback and Anita at protecting our joke of a captain from shitting himself.

The players' attitude in the first worried the s*** out of me, hardly any backbone between them.

'kin hell...that sounds bleak and true, in equal measure. I'm coming home on Wednesday & going to the match: enthusiasm just dropped-off a cliff.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I know people want to see more attacking football but I just don't think we've got the defenders. Reckon our best hope is to ditch trying to pass and just grind the s*** out of games until January and get a proper centre back in (fat chance) and a centre mid that knows how to shield defence that isn't a midget.

First half was s***, too many players looked scared and didn't take responsibility. Played 4-3-3 in the first but we were too congested with Thauvin and Perez dropping inside a lot (and neither are quick to go on the outside), the lack of space totally nullified Wijnaldum and Sissoko, and Cisse was his current s*** self. The 4-2-3-1 opened up some of the pitch for Wijnaldum in the second and Sissoko out wide pinned them back and he caused more damage there but it just wasn't enough. We're missing presence up top, badly, and presence at the back. I don't like Tiote but, Christ, he'd do a better job than Colback and Anita at protecting our joke of a captain from shitting himself.

The players' attitude in the first worried the s*** out of me, hardly any backbone between them.

My assessment of the situation too.

Would be nice to see him play a game where we aren't already losing

Wtf was Haidara doing for their first goal? Kick it out or kick it up the line, no, try and play it infield and leave us horribly exposed for no good reason. I've just got back and could go through almost every thread on here and find legitamate reason to slag us off.