Newcastle United 1-2 Watford - 19/09/15 - Post-match reaction from page 21

Greg

Another dire performance, slightly improved in the second half, but nowhere NEAR being acceptable for a decent PL side.

Watford deserved their win, they attacked in greater numbers once they got the ball and always looked more dangerous. They are a poor side and as someone said earlier, we would have been hammered by a better team...roll on Chelsea and Man C eh..?

This Newcastle team is going down - even though this is early in the season, you cannot see any real goal chances being created around the box apart from Janmaat's crosses and they weren't always accurate although he WAS our best player by a mile, mainly because Watford either elected not to put a man on him to try and block his forward runs, or didn't have the brains to suss out what was happening. Colo was woeful and so too, on the day, was Haidara so we conceded early and easily. Colo is struggling for pace even more these days when the opposition catch us on the break and we will pay heavily for Charnley's decision not to buy another experienced CB as both Colo and Taylor are unreliable...Williamson we won't even mention..

Wijnaldum does disappear, and I have noticed this since the first game, even though he scored in that....our m/f generally is lacking in creativity and vision, Colback getting worse by the game and Charnley is responsible for the whole fiasco in my view - he was given carte blanche to control buying and selling and we are stuck with 2, possibly 3 players who do NOT want to play for us, Cisse, Tiote and Sissoko, 2 of whom are midfielders and who would make a real difference if their hearts were in it and the 3rd who plays in the area of the field that we really ARE short on - striker.

All this should have been sorted out before the season and players moved on/brought in so we had everyone pulling the same way - as it is, we face a desperate fight against relegation and after the next few games could be marooned without realistic hope of recovery.

Confidence in McClaren is now at a very low point and although he is not responsible for the summer transfer activities, he shows no sign of being able to organize or motivate the resources at his disposal. There is no way Ashley will fire him if he can possibly avoid it and the chances of us being able to get a really decent manager are nil so that avenue is closed.

The main problem is that Ashley should have tried to sell in the summer and we may then have had a board with real ambition and vision - we really are in a horrendous position and unless some sort of miracle occurs, we will struggle to stop and score goals for the foreseeable future.

While we were bad in the first, we were worse under Carver and Pardew.

Anyway I'm struggling to see where this team goes but I'm going to try and remain optimistic that we'll have an ah-ha moment and turn it around.

While we were bad in the first, we were worse under Carver and Pardew.

Anyway I'm struggling to see where this team goes but I'm going to try and remain optimistic that we'll have an ah-ha moment and turn it around.

Mitrovic seems to be our only hope at this point. Get the ball sticking to him, people out wide playing off, crosses into the box and the likes of Wijnaldum arriving late into the box or getting beyond play.

I'm starting to think that some form of 4-4-2 might be our best bet when he comes back with Perez or De Jong playing off him and get Aarons in on the left, Sissoko and Wijnaldum middle, Thauvin right.

It's shit but not sure if it'll be shitter than what we've seen so far.

I know people want to see more attacking football but I just don't think we've got the defenders. Reckon our best hope is to ditch trying to pass and just grind the s*** out of games until January and get a proper centre back in (fat chance) and a centre mid that knows how to shield defence that isn't a midget.

First half was s***, too many players looked scared and didn't take responsibility. Played 4-3-3 in the first but we were too congested with Thauvin and Perez dropping inside a lot (and neither are quick to go on the outside), the lack of space totally nullified Wijnaldum and Sissoko, and Cisse was his current s*** self. The 4-2-3-1 opened up some of the pitch for Wijnaldum in the second and Sissoko out wide pinned them back and he caused more damage there but it just wasn't enough. We're missing presence up top, badly, and presence at the back. I don't like Tiote but, Christ, he'd do a better job than Colback and Anita at protecting our joke of a captain from shitting himself.

The players' attitude in the first worried the s*** out of me, hardly any backbone between them.

I don't know where you go from here, really.

Sadly a perfect summary.

Absolutely terrible first half.  Players just looked shot of confidence and belief in what they were trying to do.

Second was better but it was clear that in the 10 or so minutes after Jaanmats goal Watford weathered the storm and could deal with us pretty easily, no penetration in this team.

For me we need PD in at left back and tbh I'd stick Taylor back in when fit for Colo, won't happen like but I think that's our best back four.  Just have to hope Mitrovic can come back and have an extended run in the side and stay fit because we are desperate for that focal point up front. 

I thought it was worth mentioning how well Deeney played yesterday. He faded in the 2nd half but caused all sorts of bother at times. It's massively important to have someone who can link play if you're only playing with one up front and it's blatantly obvious that we're lacking in that department. Hopefully Mitrovic can make a difference.

I thought it was worth mentioning how well Deeney played yesterday. He faded in the 2nd half but caused all sorts of bother at times. It's massively important to have someone who can link play if you're only playing with one up front and it's blatantly obvious that we're lacking in that department. Hopefully Mitrovic can make a difference.

Both him and Ighalo were too much for Colo to handle. I'm very excited about Mbemba pairing up with a physical central defender. We really need one becasue Mbemba looks the real deal and he needs a more physical player to play with him.

Also, we need Mitrovic back, lets just hope he's not sent off against City.

:thup:

A nice mixture of pace and strength between him and Ighalo. It was so simple for them in the first half, just get the ball long and it was pretty much guaranteed they were going to win it and they were very quick to link play from there.

Just seen it on MOTD, Cisse should have had a penalty early on, nearly had his shirt taken off him in that penalty area scramble. My god we were bad.

And possibly Ayoze as well in the 2nd half, doesn't take away anything though. We didn't deserve smack after how we played in the first half.

We played a lot of crosses, which is ridicilous when your only striker is Cisse in the first half and Perez in the second. Add to that the fact that our crossing was horrible. Mitrovic is a must to have on the field when we play like this. The worrying thing is our midfield looked very vulnerable with Colback instead of Anita as a DM. And Colback is way too slow on the ball, takes too many touches, plays slow floated balls and can only kick the ball with his left foot.

Haidara has to improve, he was horrible. So was Thauvin's crossing. I think he just tried too much and had a decent shot saved.

Seems like we have no pattern of play. No idea in the attacking third how to break the defense. No combinations, no give&go and generally not enough movement. Our play is way too slow. Either we are gonna have to start counter attacking or then find a way to add movement to our attacking play. This way we are not gonna score enough to stay up.

Watching this back, we weren't as generally awful as I thought we were in the first half (still shit, obviously). Going forward, we had a couple of decent opportunities and there were good numbers in the box on occasion but our final ball was often woeful (stop floating crosses, FFS) and some of the finishing was absolutely terrible. We tried to press them a bit higher up the pitch in the opening quarter but it's a disaster plan when 2 of the 3 covering central are Colback and Colo, so slow and weak. Thauvin was better than I remembered, despite a couple of wayward balls. Wijnaldum and Sissoko were poor off the ball, Sissoko was especially bad for their first, just let his man sprint past him and only jogged back when we were clearly in a lot of danger.

We were after Capoue at one point, weren't we? He was absolutely tremendous, got tackles in in key areas when we were attacking and set them off on counters for fun.

New manager new players no change

Same owner responsible for devaluing the name of the club until there's no pride in playing for it, and bringing in players based on who looks like a bargain who might make us money rather than players we need to solve problems with the squad.

Worst PL result ever after getting beat at home to Blackpool I reckon.

Losing 0-3 at home to an awful, awful side. The 0-6 the following week too (not for the margin, but for how easy it was for the opposition).