Newcastle United 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday 23/09/09 Post match reaction from pg.15

BlueStar

A bugbear of mine but something that seems to matter to a lot of fans is players applauding the supporters after a game.

McClaren is making a big issue of this.

I want it to be a spontaneous gesture - it is meaningless when they are told to get back on the pitch to do it.  And surely it is the most hollowest of gestures when they have put in such an inept and disinterested performance.

If they cared, they would do it on the pitch and would then not have to be persuaded to acknowledge the fans.

Doing it after a performance like last night is inviting the hostility they received.  When Carver did this at the Cup game at Leicester, it almost seemed provocative with the way it riled up the fans.

A bugbear of mine but something that seems to matter to a lot of fans is players applauding the supporters after a game.

McClaren is making a big issue of this.

I want it to be a spontaneous gesture - it is meaningless when they are told to get back on the pitch to do it.  And surely it is the most hollowest of gestures when they have put in such an inept and disinterested performance.

If they cared, they would do it on the pitch and would then not have to be persuaded to acknowledge the fans.

Doing it after a performance like last night is inviting the hostility they received.  When Carver did this at the Cup game at Leicester, it almost seemed provocative with the way it riled up the fans.

Any fan who went there is an idiot anyway.

Players could take a shit throw it at them and they would be back next week.

I would not worry to much if players clap them.

The players are doubtless mystified as to what the big deal is and why people are being so horrible to them.

It's because the fans still care, unllike these expensively imported and rewarded mercenaries with no soul, no wit and no conscience. Highly rated by themselves, legends in their own minds and apparently impervious to instruction and encouragement.

They've got one thing right though, sauntering round in tuxedos - the preferred dress code of the rat pack....

Liked this part of the NUFC.com review like. There was also some other amusing bits. Quite well written given they'd be proper fucked off too.

There are some astonishing text pizzas of mind vomit on this thread. After taking my nephew to his first match (...), best part of this game for me was driving back and as 2 hour journey became 3.5 hours (A1 closed, then A19 closed...) having the oddly-comforting thought that at least Wednesday's B team are also 'enjoying' this journey too. This article is worth a read: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34340357