The "How would you set the team up?" thread

Shak

Colback isn't even the funniest thing tbh.

Wijnaldum through the middle and Perez on the wing where both are more ineffective than if you swapped them round is more humorous tbh.

Not that it matters because i trust Benitez more than i do any formation or set up i can think of.

Really unbelievable that anyone can still see fit to put Colback in the team, more so with the caveat that everyone is "fit and available". Depressing stuff.

In such a scenario he shouldn't even make the squad.

Lets try something bonkers

Elliot

Lascelles - Mbemba - Mbabu

Janmaat - - - - - - Saivet - - - - - - Sissoko

Shelvey - Wijnaldum

de Jong

Cisse

Back 3 job is obvious, Janmaat & Sissoko provide the width, Saivet sits and keeps it simple - acts as the DM when necessary and gives it to Shelvey. Shelvey picks out de Jong who will be more like the #10 playing the width of the box, or goes long to the wing backs. Gini supports Cisse and makes the runs in behind when Cisse goes short. De Jong and Gini both bust a nut to get in the box and support Cisse when Janmaat/Sissoko get it wide, Shelvey offers them the option inside if necessary

Works class in my head and we batter Norwich 7-0

For Norwich, i'd try this given the amount of injuries.

Elliott

Mbemba---Lascelles---Sissoko

Janmaat--Shelvey

Wijnaldum------------------------Townsend

De Jong

Mitrovic--------Perez

Tiote getting fit again will be a huge part of our staying up if it happens, for all his faults. We play better when he's in the team. If only just for his physical presence, think Norwich will come a little too soon for him but maybe next game.

For Norwich, i'd try this given the amount of injuries.

Elliott

Mbemba---Lascelles---Sissoko

Janmaat--Shelvey

Wijnaldum------------------------Townsend

De Jong

Mitrovic--------Perez

Tiote getting fit again will be a huge part of our staying up if it happens, for all his faults. We play better when he's in the team. If only just for his physical presence, think Norwich will come a little too soon for him but maybe next game.

Don't think even Rafa will be brave enough to keep all the players close to the touchline and let the opposition run at us easily down the middle :lol:

Sissoko LB with Wijnaldum ahead of as LW, De Jong #10 behind Mitro, Townsend wide right, with Anita or Janmaat the RB. Shelvey pushed a little further with Tiote sitting playing simple. CB pairing of Mbemba and Lascelles.

After yesterday I'm convinced that our only hope for the rest of the year is to play Cisse and Mitrovic up top together. Cisse up top on his own is a disaster because he can't hold the ball up worth a shit. Mitro meanwhile looks a completely different man with a partner alongside him.

So while I've never been a huge fan of 4-4-2 generally, right now it looks like the best option to me.                               

Darlow

Janmaat            Mbemba            Lascelles            Sissoko

Townsend            Shelvey              Tiote                Perez

Cisse                  Mitrovic

The defense is hardly worth talking about. They're pretty much all shite, but less shite than the alternatives. Maybe. Sissoko is probably the best bet at LB. No worse defensively than the other options there and actually has the energy to get up and down the flank and offer us something going forward. Being at LB also takes him away from our midfield, where he's become an utter waste of space.

Tiote. Yeah, I know. I'm sorry. Saivet seems to be a non factor and if we're going 4-4-2 I figure we need a proper ball winner and Tiote is basically the only option. Shelvey alongside him in CM, let him try and hit Mitrovic with some of his long passes.

On the wings it was two of Perez, Townsend and Wijnaldum and after yesterday's shitshow I think you have to drop Wijnaldum. He was so shit. Personally still would prefer Townsend on the left, but it seems that's not an option for some reason.

I know that SDJ probably deserves a game but realistically you need to play him as a #10 with a functioning pass and move team around him. We are so far away from being able to put a team like that on the pitch that it's ridiculous to try at this point.

After yesterday I'm convinced that our only hope for the rest of the year is to play Cisse and Mitrovic up top together. Cisse up top on his own is a disaster because he can't hold the ball up worth a shit. Mitro meanwhile looks a completely different man with a partner alongside him.

So while I've never been a huge fan of 4-4-2 generally, right now it looks like the best option to me.                               

Darlow

Janmaat            Mbemba            Lascelles            Sissoko

Townsend            Shelvey              Tiote                Perez

Cisse                  Mitrovic

The defense is hardly worth talking about. They're pretty much all shite, but less shite than the alternatives. Maybe. Sissoko is probably the best bet at LB. No worse defensively than the other options there and actually has the energy to get up and down the flank and offer us something going forward. Being at LB also takes him away from our midfield, where he's become an utter waste of space.

Tiote. Yeah, I know. I'm sorry. Saivet seems to be a non factor and if we're going 4-4-2 I figure we need a proper ball winner and Tiote is basically the only option. Shelvey alongside him in CM, let him try and hit Mitrovic with some of his long passes.

On the wings it was two of Perez, Townsend and Wijnaldum and after yesterday's shitshow I think you have to drop Wijnaldum. He was so shit. Personally still would prefer Townsend on the left, but it seems that's not an option for some reason.

I know that SDJ probably deserves a game but realistically you need to play him as a #10 with a functioning pass and move team around him. We are so far away from being able to put a team like that on the pitch that it's ridiculous to try at this point.

I said Mitro and Cisse should start before yesterday's game based solely on that being our best bet for goals. We have to recognise that the puffs in central defence are going to bend over and concede goals no matter how compact we play, so the only option is to attack teams with two strikers.

I said Mitro and Cisse should start before yesterday's game based solely on that being our best bet for goals. We have to recognise that the puffs in central defence are going to bend over and concede goals no matter how compact we play, so the only option is to attack teams with two strikers.

Agree.

First half yesterday we found it impossible to get the ball into Norwich's half, never mind look like creating chances. Expecting the ball to stick up front with Cisse and his flubber ankles leading the line and the invisible man in Wijnaldum playing just off him was insane.

We were basically just giving it straight back to Norwich every time we got the ball. Actually being able to keep the ball and push teams back and make them defend us for a change would be the best thing we could do for our horrible defenders.