Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Another with a fairly poor first touch and slow feet.  Once he gets moving he's a decent dribbler but the first 3 touches aren't great. Doesn't handle pressure well so he goes deeper to get more time on the ball. It's one thing to have that problem at the highest level like Alonso- it's another when Kirchoff and M'vila can shut you down. 

Having a more combative CM partner might help him with that.

I disagree I think the gap between our central midfielders and centre halves is huge it's like a chasm either we press as a team try to be compact, Shelvey is prone to pressing at stupid times which leaves our centre halves very vulnerable.

If we had more tactically aware players this wouldn't be an issue though...as they'd all either press or not collectively. Another thing, players would slot in to cover if they had more thought

Another with a fairly poor first touch and slow feet.  Once he gets moving he's a decent dribbler but the first 3 touches aren't great. Doesn't handle pressure well so he goes deeper to get more time on the ball. It's one thing to have that problem at the highest level like Alonso- it's another when Kirchoff and M'vila can shut you down. 

Having a more combative CM partner might help him with that.

I disagree I think the gap between our central midfielders and centre halves is huge it's like a chasm either we press as a team try to be compact, Shelvey is prone to pressing at stupid times which leaves our centre halves very vulnerable.

If we had more tactically aware players this wouldn't be an issue though...as they'd all either press or not collectively. Another thing, players would slot in to cover if they had more thought

I agree in part but I don't think that's universally the case, England tried it for years with Gerrard and Lamport and couldn't get it right, Arsenal also have struggles with this line of thought as well.

As you said though Heza we don't have much choice given the other players we have available.

Newcastle United midfielder Jonjo Shelvey feels like he is "going to school again" following the recent arrival of manager Rafael Benitez.

The Magpies have lost to leaders Leicester and drawn with local rivals, and fellow strugglers, Sunderland since the Spaniard took over two weeks ago.

"You're always being watched - you feel like you're on trial if you like," Shelvey told BBC Newcastle.

"Everyone's looking to impress and being a lot busier than normal."

The 24-year-old continued: "But that's part and parcel of football, you need to show what you're about.

"When a new manager comes in, it's like going to school again."

Following Sunday's 1-1 draw with Sunderland, the Magpies remain next to bottom, one place below the Black Cats, and three points adrift of safety - although both teams have a game in hand over 17th-placed Norwich City.

The Tynesiders have four points fewer than at the same stage of the 2008-09 season, when they were last relegated from the top flight.

However, Shelvey is confident Benitez can make a big difference during the two-week international break.

"People are listening to what he says. His record speaks for itself," he said.

"[The break] will be a good chance to really knuckle down. We've not had much time since he's come in because everything has been a bit rushed."

Newcastle are next in action against Norwich at Carrow Road on 2 April.

The former Swansea midfielder added: "Rafa will come up with a game plan because that's what he does.

"I'm sure we'll go to Norwich and give a very good account of ourselves."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35867154

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

Erratic as fuck, terrible decision making and positioning at times. Might be a handy player in the championship.

Very careless, gives the ball away cheaper.

Our best player by far, as he has been in the vast majority of games since he's joined.

He's only played two good games since he joined mate. Debut and the following home game.

I said he was the best, in a lot of cases that means the least shit.

But anyway Shelvey takes risks and most things he does are either brilliant or useless. I'll take that over the middle of the roader.

Guest neesy111

Our best player by far, as he has been in the vast majority of games since he's joined.

No chance, absolutely no chance.