Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest neesy111

Shelvey seems to be better off the bench against tired opponents, allowed a more free role to create without as much need to run around chasing.

This is where I’m at.  Better at joining a stretched game. 

I'd say that's when Mitrovic seems to be better as well.

It's a shame we don't have the strength in our team to carry him a bit, a prolonged period starting next to Merino might be what he needs, he's just in and out so much through suspension or cantgiveashititis.

Guest neesy111

Other than passing (mainly over distance), what’s he good at?

Shooting, set pieces.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/006/026/NOTSUREIF.jpg

Shooting, set pieces.

I mean he's no superstar but he can hit a football.

Guest neesy111

Shooting, set pieces.

5 goals in 70 appearances for us, all in the championship.  Terrible for a midfielder.

Shooting, set pieces.

5 goals in 70 appearances for us, all in the championship.  Terrible for a midfielder.

I don't think he actually runs hard enough to get into goal scoring positions. He's the modern day Liam O'Brien.

Guest neesy111

Shooting, set pieces.

I don't think he actually runs hard enough to get into goal scoring positions. He's the modern day Liam O'Brien.

That's the thing, he never makes runs into the box etc.  One issue of many with our midfield.

Shooting, set pieces.

Yeah. His record for Swansea is better though. Not a great goal scorer but that doesn't mean he can't knock a good free kick/corner in.

Shooting, set pieces.

That's the thing, he never makes runs into the box etc.  One issue of many with our midfield.

He strolls around easy areas of the pitch being a 'playmaker'. Can't deny his skills, he can pass beautifully when he wants, but there's a lot of stuff he doesn't do that well at either end of the pitch, i.e,  tackling and getting beyond the strikers.

He's a great passer but only on his right foot when he's given time and space.  Close him down quickly or make him turn onto his left foot then he's pretty useless.  He was great in the Championship before the other teams finally worked this out.  He's been w*** since.

I remember a performance, West Ham i think, at the end of our relegation season when he was pinging first time passes all over. Maybe I've made itbetter in my memory but he looked quality that day.

He's a great passer but only on his right foot when he's given time and space.  Close him down quickly or make him turn onto his left foot then he's pretty useless.  He was great in the Championship before the other teams finally worked this out.  He's been w*** since.

I remember a performance, West Ham i think, at the end of our relegation season when he was pinging first time passes all over. Maybe I've made itbetter in my memory but he looked quality that day.

It was his debut i think.

We sat high up the pitch that day and he had options ahead of him. Put him in a team that can hang onto the ball and he'll be creative. Put him in a team like this, you'll get the occasional nice pass. And a lot of dawdling looking for an option.

We sat high up the pitch that day and he had options ahead of him. Put him in a team that can hang onto the ball and he'll be creative. Put him in a team like this, you'll get the occasional nice pass. And a lot of dawdling looking for an option.

I think that's the case for some of our other players as well, Ritchie comes to mind. They'd look a lot better going forward, but we'd probably get murdered on the counter.

He doesn't looks interested imo and hasn't found any form.  Has he even assisted a goal the season? I can't think of any.

Was a stupid tackle to get sent off - the players was going no where.