Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He's a liability that has maybe 1 good game in 8. Get rid of him.

He's our 2nd best central midfielder. We can't just be getting rid of him like that.

Agreed. We have much bigger priorities in the transfer market that need addressing before Shelvey.

We’ve had so many players over the years who were almost very good but for some fatal flaws

Titus Bramble for example could have been a force of nature at the back but was thick as pigshit and had no concentration.

Shelvey is another with a distinct lack of intelligence, he has all the tools to be a dominant midfielder but hasn’t the character to really put it on the line for the team.

Disagree.

Titus had all the raw ingredients of a top player. Strength, good pace, good in the air, good natural tackler and pretty comfortable on the ball with both feet.

Jonjo Shelvey is really good at mid-to-long range passing. That's it. There's nowt else of value to his game. You get a CM to get on his toes, he's completely done.

We’ve had so many players over the years who were almost very good but for some fatal flaws

Titus Bramble for example could have been a force of nature at the back but was thick as pigshit and had no concentration.

Shelvey is another with a distinct lack of intelligence, he has all the tools to be a dominant midfielder but hasn’t the character to really put it on the line for the team.

It’s frustrating because he really could be a top player. But going back to the original point, because he’s thick as pigshit he'll never realise this. He’ll drift from club to club earning lots of money but ultimately never realising his potential.

To get his full potential you would need to make someone like him a captain. As silly as it sounds and nobody would agree, he would benefit from being a leader. Hes the kind of player who needs an arm around him now and then, but would feel immensely important and loved if he had a big role to play. Trouble is somewhere someone might trust a lad like him with this responsibility, but Rafa would never.

He's captained us a few times under Rafa iirc and anyway there is nothing to back up anything you just said

Its not that I was dealing in facts, just my opinion, and I thought he had been given the band in the championship.

But not just for one or two games where he knows he will be handing it back.

Disagree.

Titus had all the raw ingredients of a top player. Strength, good pace, good in the air, good natural tackler and pretty comfortable on the ball with both feet.

Jonjo Shelvey is really good at mid-to-long range passing. That's it. There's nowt else of value to his game. You get a CM to get on his toes, he's completely done.

No, you’re just reinforcing my point.

Shelvey has a lack of intelligence yes but his biggest failing is his lack of character.

He has the size to boss a midfield, but no character to be tough. He has the skills to make a difference in a game but not the character to impose them.

There’s nothing about him.

Titus wanted to do well for us and boy could he have been something if he had the intelligence to read the game better and the concentration to not make massive mistakes every second game.

He had all the tools, pace, power, size (must have been at least 17 stone?!?)

I could list a bunch of other players who were “almosts” as well. We’ve had a load of them.

Guest neesy111

He doesn't have the game to boss the midfield, if he did he would had shown it in his career by now.  We are the 3rd PL club he's been at.

He's a 'final third' player for me and I'd like to see him given a chance as furthest forward of a midfield 3. He's too immobile and hasn't got enough stamina to play in a 2 but he's got quick feet, is relatively strong. obviously got a good pass and although he doesn't show it often, has a good shot on him. People are taking about KDB but he does 90% of his best work in the final third whereas Shelvey spends 90% of his time in our half or barely over the halfway line. In the role we play him, for someone who is supposedly so talented, he literally affects nothing in the game positively. How many shots does he have? Assists? Decent crosses? Through balls? Bursts into the box? It's barely nothing, nowt, zip, zilch. There's is also a tendency for the rest of the team to treat him like Baggio or Letissier and give him the ball when it's not the best option. It does my head in.

Yes, I know it would depend on Rafa taking a completely different view on what Shelvey has to offer and if he was to play in that link role we would need to play into feet for starters, but keeping him there just in case one his 732 attempts at a Hollywood pass comes off is a massive waste and a shame.

People seem to hugely overrate Shelvey's passing ability and creativity.  He undoubtedly plays some great passes but they are so few and far between,  he's often a passenger in a midfield two.

Merino is a superior midfielder in general, but indisputably so in a midfield 2.

Disagree.

Shelvey has a lack of intelligence yes but his biggest failing is his lack of character.

He has the size to boss a midfield, but no character to be tough. He has the skills to make a difference in a game but not the character to impose them.

Titus wanted to do well for us and boy could he have been something if he had the intelligence to read the game better and the concentration to not make massive mistakes every second game.

I could list a bunch of other players who were “almosts” as well. We’ve had a load of them.

Im not reinforcing your point.

Shelvey is not athletic.... at all. He has slow feet. He's not seeing a 34 year old Tugay for example. He's not a goal threat. He's likely to be sent off. He can't tackle well. Off the ball he's awful. He's not missing 1 or 2 ingredients... he's missing  5 or 6. While offering 1 great ability.

Titus Bramble had it all except for 1 thing. Titus could read the game fine. It was only concentration. He could play 2 or 3 games in a row, absolutely perfect, everything you want from a CB. Then he would airkick it or drop another type of clanger leading to a goal. He would spread panic with his mistakes. 1 mistake would lead to another.

Disagree.

Im not reinforcing your point.

Shelvey is not athletic.... at all. He has slow feet. He's not seeing a 34 year old Tugay for example. He's not a goal threat. He's likely to be sent off. He can't tackle well. Off the ball he's awful. He's not missing 1 or 2 ingredients... he's missing  5 or 6. While offering 1 great ability.

Titus Bramble had it all except for 1 thing. Titus could read the game fine. It was only concentration. He could play 2 or 3 games in a row, absolutely perfect, everything you want from a CB. Then he would airkick it or drop another type of clanger leading to a goal. He would spread panic with his mistakes. 1 mistake would lead to another.

I’ve seen Shelvey go on runs a few times to suggest he does have “some pace”, he doesn’t tackle well because he doesn’t have the character to man up, anyone can tackle if they really want to do it.

He tackles like a petulant forward, this is why he constantly gets booked (along with his reputation for being petulant)

He’s a coward.. his sending off against Spurs was something a 4 year old would do when they pinch someone not wanting to be caught.

Shelvey not taking on people is not down to not physically having it in his locker.. it’s all down to attitude/character

I'm talking athleticism. He has none. He makes getting up and down the pitch look like hard work. His entire career he's battled with fitness and stamina. I remember Jenas running the entire length of SJP to miss an absolute sitter in about 10 seconds in the 89th minute. Jonjo is incapable of that athleticism. While he is lazy he does seem physically incapable of moving around the pitch like a Merino. You are over-rating his physical condition.

Tackling requires technique to do well, Jonjo doesn't have it.

He's also a coward. Yes.

Despite his flaws he's arguably our 2nd most talented player after Merino. Not sure why there's such fervour to sell him the squad is lacking in genuine talent.

I agree with whoever said his problems comes from cowardice (or to put it another way, an inherent lack of drive & motivation to be the best player he could be) rather than his athleticism, or lack of thereof.

Guest neesy111

If we can be sure that he'll be replaced, then yeah, sell him.

We can never be sure of that though. [emoji38]

I think Rafa will be very wary of doing that for that very reason.