Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest firetotheworks

Didnt he assist Joselu's goal vs Liverpool anyway?

He did, but I don't think it was counted due to Joselu's finish coming off Matip. Could be wrong though.

I honestly wouldn't care about his assists or goals that much if he was doing the rest of the work for 90 mins. If he's winning tackles, making passes, and generally getting up and down the pitch to good effect, he's doing his job. I don't think he does enough.

Merino's a good example actually, despite not being the finished article he's physically imposing, good tackler, great in the air, decent enough passer who looks forward, seems to have good strike on him, good technique, yet he's still not able to impose himself properly in midfield and make a decent impact on the game. We're just absolutely shite.

Merino's a good example actually, despite not being the finished article he's physically imposing, good tackler, great in the air, decent enough passer who looks forward, seems to have good strike on him, good technique, yet he's still not able to impose himself properly in midfield and make a decent impact on the game. We're just absolutely shite.

That's a case in point. Even if he's having a poor game, he's always involved, getting up and down the pitch, he's not going to go missing for large periods of the game. That's what I expect from midfielders.

Aye but it still amounts to nothing as the team is rubbish. We replace Shelvey with Hayden and we still create fuck all and get fucked in midfield, we replace him with another Merino and we'll still create fuck all and get fucked in midfield. Shelvey sauntering about the pitch has literally zero negative impact on us over the competition as we've seen when he's out of the side. He's never going to be a dynamic midfielder.

It's all a lie anyway, people couldn't give a shit about attitude hence how Ritchie is getting slated, and Dummett (who's an average Premiership fullback) gets the same. When we're shit it's just open season on anyone for any reason.

Guest ManDoon

Thats the problem with Shelvey if he isnt on, he's a total passenger and you carry him. He's as bad off the ball as I've seen as a CM.

We don't have any athletes in midfield.  We don't really have many in the squad, full stop.  The mobility of someone like Gueye for them, compared to Diame, Merino and Shelvey all struggling to cover ground and dominate physically, is pretty evident. 

They brought that Blasic on out wide and he was a right handful.  Manquillo had been good up until that point, but suddenly lost the plot.  There isn't a lot of pace, power or tenacity in our team.

But we replace him with Hayden and we're no better. We replace Merino with Hayden and we're no better. Defensively they're technically stronger players but we still get fucked in midfield. We play 2 defensive midfielders with Perez working his arse off ahead of them and we're still awful in midfield.

Shelvey isn't a great midfielder but he's easily the best we have on the ball, it doesn't amount to anything though as with him out of the side we're still weak in midfield and with him in the side we still create nowt.

I suppose what I'm saying is (and this isn't directed at you Santoon as I don't think you've said out wrong) we can look to individual players and point out positives and flaws but it ultimately means nothing until we actually have a proper squad. We pretty much went a season with people calling Cabaye shite. We went like 4 year with people calling Ben Arfa shite (Shelvey isn't anywhere near as good as either).

Even then I think that's more down to the dynamic of the game shifting rather than him being better because he's fitter. It happens with all of our players - look at the first half yesterday and against Bournemouth for example. It's not necessarily tired opponents, just opponents who either aren't in the game or have dropped out of it.

When they're organised like Everton were in the 2nd half we pretty much can never score or even look close to scoring other than from a set piece or individual error. I don't think any player we have changes that coming on at 60 minutes.

Guest ManDoon

Ndidi for Leicester is exactly the sort of player we need. Thought he was class for them against us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye, we're back in that pre-Tiote phase again (to use a comparison from the last time we came up). Need someone with his aggression and mobility.

While I agree, I'm not sure that type is a great fit with Merino.

Obviously that means we are crying out for 3 in midfield, not particularly sure Rafa is comfortable with that though.