Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

But HTT said he is bang average and can't play with a Hayden so we must all be wrong

He is an average PL player and I don't think I've ever said he and Hayden cannot play together, I think you are mistaking me for someone else perhaps. Shelvey was fantastic yesterday, however, which I managed to witness in the flesh. Huge work rate as well. p*ss poor tactics from Birmingham though, they just sat off and didn't press or do anything really. One of the worst teams I've seen at SJP as good as we were.

Utter Bollocks! He's much better than your average PL player. Some of the passes he makes most PL players would never even contemplate, he's got the close control to get out of trouble when pressed and his composure when he gets forward is superb, apart from his long distance shooting.

His consistency has always been an issue but, under Rafa, he's putting in top performances week in and week out.

Well, I disagree. I think he's just an average player in that division. His passing is of a very high standard, but switching play wide with long balls to players not being marked or in space isn't that hard a skill. Through balls, one twos etc. are more difficult and while he's capable, he is no Fabregas or Özil.

Anyway its his all-round game that is average. Does he create enough, does he score enough? He's quite a luxury player in many ways. He's bossing this league as he should, but he's quite an easy player to nullify because he has no pace or dribbling skills so press him and man mark him and he can become very one dimensional. I'm absolutely shocked that he is constantly allowed the freedom of the pitch to be honest.

His best games for us is when he has acres of space and time. If he can dominate midfield against better sides and players where space and time is of a premium, then fair enough. He hadn't shown he can do that not even on an average basis never mind consistent so I won't hold my breath.

I'd be worried if he's our main man next season in midfield if we are a Premier League side. He could work in a midfield three, but we would need someone like Kante in and around him.

Not sure I agree there, Pirlo at Juve made a career out of it and was rightly lauded for being probably one of the best playmakers in the world for a long period of time.

FWIW I think HTT raises valid points. Just everyone is wanking Shelvey off relentlessly at the moment because he is noticeably on of the best players in this particular division. Understandable I guess. HTT is just looking further ahead.

FWIW I think HTT raises valid points. Just everyone is wanking Shelvey off relentlessly at the moment because he is noticeably on of the best players in this particular division. Understandable I guess. HTT is just looking further ahead.

In the PL he dominated some games for us, especially when he first joined. He has the potential to be a lynchpin for almost any team imho, tactics permitting.

In the PL he dominated some games for us, especially when he first joined. He has the potential to be a lynchpin for almost any team imho, tactics permitting.

Aye, he has the potential to. Like you say tactics permitting. As HTT (I think) said though you'd need a box to box midfielder (or two) in alongside him in the top flight though for me.

Guest Howaythetoon

I am thanks. It's weird on here at times, if you don't flat out rate someone, you are either talking complete bollocks or have lost your mind. I'd agree now if I said he was an average Championship player, but I'm not.

People are rightly getting dizzy what with the Rafa love in, team spirit, top of the league etc. but many will be in for a shock next season when the likes of Shelvey don't produce their Championship form in the top division because as good as they are at this level or are showing, there is very few in our team I'd be happy to see playing for us regularly as a Premier League side. I think the current team would struggle massively.

By the way I actually wanted us to sign Shelvey and rated him based on what I saw if him at Swansea, but when you see them regularly up close you get to see things that you otherwise wouldn't watching the odd match live or MOTD highlight.

why cant we enjoy the present.

there's been so much negativity over the years that even now we're looking to put dampeners and negative spin on any positive situation.

lets leave it for the summer and enjoy this season while it lasts.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's not Fabregas or Ozil :lol:

I don't mean as players, I mean with his passing. A lot of Shelve's passing is very Hollywood and something most footballers should be capable of doing with time and space. To his credit he has cut out a lot of the needless Hollywood type balls and seems far more in tune passing wise and that is helped by better movement around him and of course more time and space.

Guest Howaythetoon

why cant we enjoy the present.

there's been so much negativity over the years that even now we're looking to put dampeners and negative spin on any positive situation.

lets leave it for the summer and enjoy this season while it lasts.

It's a message board with the topic about a player, of course we should discuss said player good or bad. I'm personally enjoying Shelvey this season very much, I was over the moon yesterday seeing him perform so well in person especially given my concerns and criticisms of him. He was majestic yesterday. The whole team were. Each man minus the keeper as he had nowt to do looked really good, even the subs.

Even though he was largely shite last season he showed enough to suggest he has far more to him than your average Premiership midfielder like. I think a lot of his issues are/were solvable and I trust Benitez to get the best out of him if and when we return.

No player plays great every weekend, Shelvey's problem was that on the frequent occasion he wasn't playing great he might as well have not been on the pitch. His attitude was shocking.

Guest Howaythetoon

Even though he was largely s**** last season he showed enough to suggest he has far more to him than your average Premiership midfielder like. I think a lot of his issues are/were solvable and I trust Benitez to get the best out of him if and when we return.

No player plays great every weekend, Shelvey's problem was that on the frequent occasion he wasn't playing great he might as well have not been on the pitch. His attitude was shocking.

His poor attitude certainly didn't help. He looked unfit at times as well, even this season, but yesterday he was like a bull charging around. He has this lovely swagger and style on the ball mind, which is amazing given his height and frame. He's a good player to watch when on form that's in no doubt.

His vision is almost as good as it gets, at any level of football and his passing his excellent.

His attitude is questionable, along with his physical capabilities. He's improved on both scores this year though.

Basically, if you can get someone athletic to play alongside him, your laughing. Needless to say, ginger pubes isn't the answer.

His vision isn't as good as it gets. He often hasn't made his mind up as to where he's going to pass until he has the ball. That's why your average PL midfielder can take Shelvey out the game with a bit of pressure. Your average PL midfielder can't do that to a Carrick, Fabregas or Alonso. Their thinking is too quick. Need less time to find their pass.

I think a part of that is Shelvey often looking for a pass he doesn't have to make. Knowing when to keep it simple should help.

He often hasn't made his mind up as to where he's going to pass until he has the ball.

TCD just saying random things and hoping they make sense again :lol:

Understand what he means tbh. If you watch a lot of the top players they know before they get the ball whether they are going to try something spectacular or just keep it simple. Shelvey often takes a touch, then looks up and then just plays the simple pass because there's nothing on wasting a bit of time. We know that he can do it in the Premier League if given time and space like against West Ham last season but he was lacking towards the end of last season and it remains to be seen whether Rafa has improved him that much until we get back to the PL

Shelvey has ridiculous time on the ball down here and uses it really well. I'm not sure why you would translate that to him not knowing what he wants to do with the ball before he has it.

He can and does make quick passes.

I meant last season when we were in the PL. No doubt he's outstanding at this level

Shelvey has ridiculous time on the ball down here and uses it really well. I'm not sure why you would translate that to him not knowing what he wants to do with the ball before he has it.

He can and does make quick passes.

Exactly. He's barely wasted a pass this season and produced a range of passes including long, short, quick and slow. To say he hasn't made his mind up is ridiculous