Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

Ritchie is basically Scott Sellars - great championship/average prem player, and you'd always upgrade him with Ginola

We played some of our best football with Sellars in the team, a very underrated player for us. According to KK it was niggly injuries and a lack of hunger that prevented him being a bigger player for us, in that he was happy to just play a part and wasn’t one to bray the door down when not picked or dropped. You need squad players, team players, but KK if a player had talent he did just could not fathom such a player being OK with playing a bit part.

Sellars could play ACM, a keen eye for a pass, hard working, deceptively quick and also able to play wide with a great cross on him. I rated him highly and always thought why didn’t he feature more. he seemed to have a good thing going with Clark and Cole early doors.

Ritchie is nowt like him by the way.

Commentary on the Swe-Swi match compared Ginola to Shaqiri in that they have scored the equal highest number of goals from outside the box in the PL. Maybe we should replace Ritchie with him?

(Not serious, been done to death. But it's a modern day comparison)

The comparison between Sellars and Ritchie has validity in that they were both hard-working professionals who lacked that bit of quality and were replaced by better players. Good squad players - Ritchie isn't out the door yet (nor his replacement in), but he'll be remembered in a similarly positive way as Sellars is.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sorry, but Sellars wasn’t this hard working player, yes he put a shift in, but KK’s side meant he didn’t have to put the kind of shift in that Ritchie does and he was a much better passer and crosser, he wasn’t confined to the wings either. Sellars was an intelligent player who fitted KK’s way of playing really well even if he lacked pace and wizardry with the ball at his feet. He was upgraded on because we become more direct and quicker going forward hence Ginola. Sellars was more intricate, more someone who would slip into various positions and areas of the field and look for one twos, short passes, crosses or balls into space which is how we played with Cole up front. Once Sir Less arrived it was about crossing and cutting in to shoot or play infield passes for Lee and Beardsley and even then we were moving away from the kind of football that made Beardsley key to how we played. That’s how I saw things anyway.

Commentary on the Swe-Swi match compared Ginola to Shaqiri in that they have scored the equal highest number of goals from outside the box in the PL. Maybe we should replace Ritchie with him?

(Not serious, been done to death. But it's a modern day comparison)

The comparison between Sellars and Ritchie has validity in that they were both hard-working professionals who lacked that bit of quality and were replaced by better players. Good squad players - Ritchie isn't out the door yet (nor his replacement in), but he'll be remembered in a similarly positive way as Sellars is.

Considering 90%+ of Robert's goals for us were Free Kicks / out the box, he must be up there too I would have thought?

Ritchie is basically Scott Sellars - great championship/average prem player, and you'd always upgrade him with Ginola

We played some of our best football with Sellars in the team, a very underrated player for us. According to KK it was niggly injuries and a lack of hunger that prevented him being a bigger player for us, in that he was happy to just play a part and wasn’t one to bray the door down when not picked or dropped. You need squad players, team players, but KK if a player had talent he did just could not fathom such a player being OK with playing a bit part.

Sellars could play ACM, a keen eye for a pass, hard working, deceptively quick and also able to play wide with a great cross on him. I rated him highly and always thought why didn’t he feature more. he seemed to have a good thing going with Clark and Cole early doors.

Ritchie is nowt like him by the way.

Nolan is probably a better analogy. Decent player if you look at performances in isolation, good stats (well, season before he left), popular with fans and a leader/positive influence in the dressing room, but needed to be upgraded on for us to progress and wouldn't have been happy sitting on the bench. Nolan also had to step down a division to find a team willing to pay comparative wages.

Guest Howaythetoon

There was certainly some activity at SJP earlier on with an entourage of sorts walking up to the Milburn stand, I’ve had the kids out all day at the Hancock museum and Leazes park and decided to have a drive around the stadium for the boys. Man it’s looking dated :(

Guest Howaythetoon

:lol:

The Hancock makes our stadium look like something from the stone ages. Beautiful building, canny displays and nice and relaxed in terms of numbers there. Leazes Park right next door as well. My boys have been loads of times, but they still enjoy going even if they've seen it all before. It’s free so I always make a habit of buying something for the boys and leaving a small donation. They have a Tiger Shark on display at the moment which is why I dragged the boys along of course :D

There was certainly some activity at SJP earlier on with an entourage of sorts walking up to the Milburn stand, I’ve had the kids out all day at the Hancock museum and Leazes park and decided to have a drive around the stadium for the boys. Man it’s looking dated :(

It needs a masive make over but we aren't going to get that when Ashley barely wants to sign players.