Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

forgot about this quote

I had to think long and hard in the summer about what I wanted to do; stay and play in the Championship did not cross my mind, in the end.

“I had to go with my head and not my heart.

“I did not want to take a drop down, especially while the options were still there in the Premier League.”

He will be decent for us, can't say i like the guy though.

Don't think that quote is that bad  :dontknow:

Be unhappy with Townsend, he can be good on his day but his career is full of flattering to deceive after a couple of performances.  Ritchie across a season would still be better.

Yeah but for Rafa he was great, what he did for other managers is pretty irrelevant.

forgot about this quote

I had to think long and hard in the summer about what I wanted to do; stay and play in the Championship did not cross my mind, in the end.

“I had to go with my head and not my heart.

“I did not want to take a drop down, especially while the options were still there in the Premier League.”

He will be decent for us, can't say i like the guy though.

Don't think that quote is that bad  :dontknow:

Add the context of who he was going to play under and who he left.

Wasn’t aware of this quote, it leaves a bit of a sour taste imo.

It shouldn't cross his mind either, remove the emotion for a second and see it from a pro footballer's point of view and pretty much all of them should want to stay in the league with the most exposure.

Because some players do step down doesn't mean it's wrong to want to stay in the Premier League, it's very unfortunate he chose to join Pardew but there's nothing wrong with what he did or said.

He also implies that if he follows his heart he would stay at us. It's not the best quote but don't think it's an unforgivable one. Most players are going to want to stay in the PL. Obviously him choosing Pardew is pretty sour but I don't blame him too much for wanting to stay in the PL in the prime years of his career

Ritchie didn’t stay with us in the Championship, he joined us as we went into the Championship. You could argue that he was loyal to us and willing to take a risk with us, you could also argue that he was disloyal to Bournemouth who gave him a chance in the first place.

If people want to play the ‘loyalty card’ then we’ll end up with no one.

Can't see it happening. In fact, these links seem like very lazy Sunday links.

I'm sure Townsend is a name on a list but I would be surprised if we were interested for the sort of prices mentioned.

He hadn't played Championship football since 2012 though so I imagine 4 years later, in possibly the best form of his career, he wouldn't have wanted to go back down to the Championship.

England had just had a terrible tournament too and getting back into that set-up would have played on his mind too I imagine, which would be more achievable in the Prem than the Championship

It shouldn't cross his mind either, remove the emotion for a second and see it from a pro footballer's point of view and pretty much all of them should want to stay in the league with the most exposure.

Because some players do step down doesn't mean it's wrong to want to stay in the Premier League, it's very unfortunate he chose to join Pardew but there's nothing wrong with what he did or said.

all about context though isn't it? He literally spent the majority of his career bouncing around the lower leagues on loan, was completely out of favour at Spurs, we revived his career, he played his best football under us, and is under a world class manager. He'd also only been here since January, and joined knowing there was a chance we could go down.

I fully understand it when players have been there a full season, and are going on to bigger and better things. For it not to even cross his mind though? He's mainly been a player in the lower leagues.

Or, he'd spent a lot of his career on loan in the Championship and had just established himself as a regular in the Premier League and had just got himself back into the England squad. Why would he then want to go back into the Championship? 

I disagree but it's whatever, he made the choice and that's up to him. I personally think he's very lucky to be getting another chance under a manager of Rafa's calibre. Also he left for palace/pardew. So there's that.

And the Premier League, and London.

He was only here a few months.

I'd have no problem with him coming back as if he replicates his previous form under Rafa (the best football of his career) he would be a very good addition. It's a shame he left as sometimes a player and a club and manager just click and it felt that way with him here in that short spell under Rafa.

I thought Townsend played his best stuff here under Rafa. I thought he was a dick to move on after relegation to where and whom he ended up with, but it was a short affair here so don't really feel need to hold a grudge.

If we get him he will bring quality and Rafa will get good things out of him again. A few goals and assists and all will be forgotten.

Being greedy, I wouldn't want Townsend if it stopped Kenedy coming. Rather we got both and moved on someone else. Kenedy and Townsend on the wings would immense.

I thought Townsend played his best stuff here under Rafa. I thought he was a dick to move on after relegation to where and whom he ended up with, but it was a short affair here so don't really feel need to hold a grudge.

If we get him he will bring quality and Rafa will get good things out of him again. A few goals and assists and all will be forgotten.

Being greedy, I wouldn't want Townsend if it stopped Kenedy coming. Rather we got both and moved on someone else. Kenedy and Townsend on the wings would immense.

Aye, agree with all of that.

An in form Townsend opposite of Kenedy would be fucking fantastic in terms of pace IMO. Still tired of Andros links but ho him, if Rafa feels he’s the right player to go for then trusting the man.

We should be looking into getting Kenedy on one of these crazy 2 year loan deals Chelsea like to do, what they done with Torres,Cuadrado,Salah,Schurrle etc

No. We should buy him.