Stoke City 1-0 Newcastle United - post match standing watching from page 24

Disco

Don't see the point of saying the Bournemouth game is massive now when we're going to get hammered in the next game after that. And that being title chasing Leicester. Get McClaren and maybe, just maybe someone can fix this mess before the Leicester game.

10 matches to save the season. If I knew nothing about this season already I'd say there were some winnable games in there besides the 3 or 4 we could just write straight off.

[pre]

05 MAR H Bournemouth

14 MAR A Leicester City

20 MAR H Sunderland

02 APR A Norwich City

09 APR A Southampton

16 APR H Swansea City

23 APR A Liverpool

30 APR H Crystal Palace

07 MAY A Aston Villa

15 MAY H Tottenham

[/pre]

The trips to Southampton & Liverpool, combined, should result in a major blow dealt to the goal difference column. Will be a difference maker given that our immediate strugglers are fighting, and effectively drops us another point behind (or underneath) the curve.

I think Dummett and maybe the centre backs, are the only ones that can actually come away with any credit from that.  TBF, Lascelles and Taylor had very little to do.  But they targeted Dummett a fair bit and for the most part, I thought he did alright. 

As for the manager and the rest of the players  :gm's patter:

To be Fair Stoke were not much better than us, a bit like the W.B.A away  a daft goalkeeping mistake cost us the game..

When you don't try win games you don't really deserve anything from them though...

Not sure the either sides back four would have had an easier game all season...

I just can't believe how shit his subs were. 30 minutes before the goal the Stoke team were getting tired and we were just logging on with backpass-Gouffran trying to play left back instead of Dummett. Perez should have been in for him at the 55th minute. The pace of Aarons would also have been useful. But then he brings on Riviere and I just want to puke. Then we get the goal against and he panics and its too late.

I just can't believe how s*** his subs were. 30 minutes before the goal the Stoke team were getting tired and we were just logging on with backpass-Gouffran trying to play left back instead of Dummett. Perez should have been in for him at the 55th minute. The pace of Aarons would also have been useful. But then he brings on Riviere and I just want to puke. Then we get the goal against and he panics and its too late.

Spot on ..

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonjo-shelvey-calls-big-balls-10983737

Shelvey said: “If we keep performing like that I have no problems about us maintaining Premier League status.”

:serious:

And reflecting on the loss at Stoke, Shelvey, speaking to NUFC TV, said: “I thought we stuck to our game plan for as long as possible.

“It took a wonder strike to break us down and we should have closed him down if we’re being honest.

“We are gutted as we thought we deserved something from the game.

We have been working on the game plan all week and wanted to be in the game at half-time, then kick on from there.

“We grew into it in the second half, I thought we were very unlucky not to come away with anything.”

So the game plan was to sit back and then attack them near the end of the game? I though Alan Pardew no longer managed NUFC.

I saw the extended highlights for the first time yesterday and we weren't as bad as I thought from reading the comments on here. We generally defended well and everyone put a shift in. The problem was there was no outlet because of two nothing players in Gouffran and Colback. Take at least one of those out and play Aarons and another striker and you would be able to threaten the opposition rather than rely on a defence to not make any mistakes. Totally self inflicted by McClaren.

I saw the extended highlights for the first time yesterday and we weren't as bad as I thought from reading the comments on here. We generally defended well and everyone put a shift in. The problem was there was no outlet because of two nothing players in Gouffran and Colback. Take at least one of those out and play Aarons and another striker and you would be able to threaten the opposition rather than rely on a defence to not make any mistakes. Totally self inflicted by McClaren.

As negative as it was, I also didn't think we were that bad under the circumstances where a clean sheet and at least a draw would have been a good result.

I don't like setting up for nil nil draws though, the whole point of the game is to try and score at least 1 more goal than the opposition and we carried zero threat of doing so.

Its been just as bad with Townsend, its a philosophy. He doesnt think we can beat sides away, so he sets up not to lose.

No winners in any profession set up not to do badly anyway. You set up to win, its in the word. What successful person or side goes into a situation going "Hopefully manage to not come last here". If you go out not to lose, you've already lost. You're already stating the opposition is superior to you & you've done well not to lose to them. You give yourself a psychological disadvantage. Why would we be confident when we get chances if we think we're lucky to even get the chance? Why would you be relaxed? As opposed to someone who thinks its one of many more than will follow. The psychology of it is completely wrong.

As negative as it was, I also didn't think we were that bad under the circumstances where a clean sheet and at least a draw would have been a good result.

I don't like setting up for nil nil draws though, the whole point of the game is to try and score at least 1 more goal than the opposition and we carried zero threat of doing so.

Which is fair enough if you achieve the point you set out to get a la Stoke at SJP. On the other hand when it doesn't work you can't exactly grumble about it and you especially can't whinge that the opposition keeper saved your only meaningful shot so you deserved a point.