sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wrapped in my ST at SJP 4 years ago. I've been to 3 games at the ground since - Everton last boxing day, Wolves in the cup the other week and Norwich at home last week. The atmosphere on all 3 occasions has been absolutely desperate bar the last few minutes vs Norwich.

I haven't been at a Sunderland home game for a few years. I used to go along for the odd corporate do - the last one being Sunderland v West Ham on a midweek night. The atmosphere then was also absolutely s****.

In fact, in recent years, every home atmosphere I've been to has been hopeless apart from Glasgow Rangers games, and I thought Leicester were decent against us last season - they were going for the league and had them stupid clapper things so a good atmosphere was to be expected.

I can't think of any other stadium I've visited over the last 5 years or so, where the home crowd have racked up a good atmosphere. I think it's a nationwide problem more than a regional problem with Newcastle/Sunderland.

On the reverse side, Newcastle and Sunderland have two of the best away followings going at the minute given our geographical location.

The atmosphere at Ibrox for run of the mill league games is even worse than at St James'.  Most of their home games are played out in near silence with most of the crowd starting to drift away after 70 minutes.

I went to around 10 games at Ibrox last year and it was a marked improvement on anything I've seen in England in recent times. The 4-0 Quarter Final win over Dundee was superb.

I was there on Saturday vs Partick and the atmosphere was very good for an hour, but died off towards the end as did the game as Rangers killed the game off to preserve the 2-0 lead.

There's a thread of follow follow absolutely slating the atmosphere at Ibrox on a Saturday. Here's the very first post on it;

I sit in the govan front and have done for over ten years. I thought today when I heard we had just about a full house the place would be rocking and get the team going. Unfortunately I have to say that the atmosphere was so negative and flat from just about the first whistle. So called fans berating players for not doing something and just sucking all the confidence out of young guys like McKay. Far too much of this attitude this season from too many so called fans. its bad enough that the media are all over us but we don't need the same from our own.

I wrapped in my ST at SJP 4 years ago. I've been to 3 games at the ground since - Everton last boxing day, Wolves in the cup the other week and Norwich at home last week. The atmosphere on all 3 occasions has been absolutely desperate bar the last few minutes vs Norwich.

I haven't been at a Sunderland home game for a few years. I used to go along for the odd corporate do - the last one being Sunderland v West Ham on a midweek night. The atmosphere then was also absolutely s****.

In fact, in recent years, every home atmosphere I've been to has been hopeless apart from Glasgow Rangers games, and I thought Leicester were decent against us last season - they were going for the league and had them stupid clapper things so a good atmosphere was to be expected.

I can't think of any other stadium I've visited over the last 5 years or so, where the home crowd have racked up a good atmosphere. I think it's a nationwide problem more than a regional problem with Newcastle/Sunderland.

On the reverse side, Newcastle and Sunderland have two of the best away followings going at the minute given our geographical location.

The atmosphere at Ibrox for run of the mill league games is even worse than at St James'.  Most of their home games are played out in near silence with most of the crowd starting to drift away after 70 minutes.

I went to around 10 games at Ibrox last year and it was a marked improvement on anything I've seen in England in recent times. The 4-0 Quarter Final win over Dundee was superb.

I was there on Saturday vs Partick and the atmosphere was very good for an hour, but died off towards the end as did the game as Rangers killed the game off to preserve the 2-0 lead.

There's a thread of follow follow absolutely slating the atmosphere at Ibrox on a Saturday. Here's the very first post on it;

I sit in the govan front and have done for over ten years. I thought today when I heard we had just about a full house the place would be rocking and get the team going. Unfortunately I have to say that the atmosphere was so negative and flat from just about the first whistle. So called fans berating players for not doing something and just sucking all the confidence out of young guys like McKay. Far too much of this attitude this season from too many so called fans. its bad enough that the media are all over us but we don't need the same from our own.

Is that from Saturday just gone? If so that's very surprising. I was reading an article of Sunday with quotes from Kranjcar saying how good the support was.

It also helps that I normally sit not too far away from the Union Bears and they constantly get songs going.

I'm convinced I wasn't that pissed that I was hearing things - Tennants isn't that strong :lol:

Sounds like SJP to be fair.

Don't know too many 65 years old folks who use the words "mint" referring to something good (rather than the herb used on lamb chops) or freaking as an expletive...

Aye Carumba!

Don't know if it's of any relevance or even if you give a toss but I'm also into Deftones , Tool , some Messugah and Martin Grech... So stereotyping by age isn't always accurate

Is that from Saturday just gone? If so that's very surprising. I was reading an article of Sunday with quotes from Kranjcar saying how good the support was.

It also helps that I normally sit not too far away from the Union Bears and they constantly get songs going.

I'm convinced I wasn't that p*ssed that I was hearing things - Tennants isn't that strong :lol:

Aye that was from the weekend;

Atmosphere was crap because we got a couple of goals up and Partick Thistle were happy with a 2-0 defeat.

Could have called it off after 55 minutes and I think they'd have taken it.

Let's get this into perspective; man comes into the NUFC forum (albeit the Sunderland thread) with the user name of an Indie Rock band claiming not to be a mackem, then uses a couple of "youth culture" words mixed in to the posts and dropping in some cool band names that he is in to while claiming to be 65 years old....  This is the exact opposite of what we expect from mackems, they are generally old while claiming to be young so they can fiddle with 15 year olds...  I am really confused...

Are you also into Sunderland-based band Young Legionnaire?

Not particularly Sunderland based really... One guy lives lives in America , the other is a Toon fan and yes , the singer is a mackem.... Caught them live at the Cluny and it was the best live set I've ever seen

First timer , old timer , and definitely not a mackem , I went to my first match at St.James's for 20 years , my last one vs. Metz , my latest vs. Wolves . So I don't regard myself a supporter any more , merely a fan . Revisiting the stadium just served to reinforce the reasons I stopped going . I fell out of love with the match day experience when the whole thing became so sanitised and unspontanious . I fell out of love with the game .

By pure chance my work necessitated my being at the Stadium of Light , match vs. Palace , the very next week. And this is the crux of my post .I found the lacklustre atmosphere at St. James's so inferior to the passion displayed by the mackems on the day . Their fans did display spontaneous and widespread vocal support for their team , something sadly lacking the week before at St. James's . Now admittedly it was just a one game comparison , but the contrast was alarming . And perhaps in part due to the ,shall I say , more basic and less cranially evolved species inhabiting the  Wearside stadium . Nevertheless , my recent Sunderland experience was ,unfortunately , much more akin to the match day experience of old .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My take on the atmosphere is this.

I sit under the away supporters so to me it sounds dreadful the noise from us.you cant really here a peep apart from the teeny boppers up on level 7.

However i sat in the strawberry corner for the Reading game and from the off the atmosphere was brilliant down there.Others have mentioned it depends where you sit at SJP as the atmosphere /acoustics at SJP has an effect? I can only go on this current experience, a few times ive sat in the corner and its been great throughout.

However if you were an away fan youd be hearing very little

Agree with Shintonsghost, the area around the "corner" always has a good atmosphere but, this cannot be heard at the opposite end of the ground.

I sit in the East Stand towards the Gallowgate corner and there is almost constant singing from there, I have sat in the Leazes and it sounds like a church apart from the usual mocking of the away fans above.

The East Stand, as a rule, would need a bolt of lightening to get the majority of fans back to life. 

By the way I'm 65

Pretty weird that your name is the twitter handle of an obscure rock band formed in 2010 by the mackem in YCNI:M and The Automatic...

Zero Worship is freaking amazing

Yep, your average 65 year old uses phrases like ''Zero Worship is freaking amazing'' all the time. You sad little child.

Guest reefatoon

I am not a Mackem,  BUT Sunderland are so much better. I am being honest here because I am old.

Probably just burst out laughing on RTG letting everyone know how he hoodwinked thousands with the jape of the year.

Guest homersthirdnipple

Why are you trying so hard...?  just give up.  It really isn't worth it!

OK then , the age thing...... Tommy the Dog who used to lead the singing in the Gallowgate end ring a bell with anybody?

He never rang a bell but he sang a song made famous by Tommy Steele

OK then , the age thing...... Tommy the Dog who used to lead the singing in the Gallowgate end ring a bell with anybody?

I remember Billy the Fish?

Andy Coke Andy Coke

Andy Andy Coke

He really is a splendid bloke

Andy Andy Coke

Closely followed by

Harry Ramp Harry Ramp

Harry Harry Ramp

He is a tramp and he shits his pants

Harry Harry Ramp

Halcyon days indeed