Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

The sports press just love a narrative or an agenda. Like someone said above, see Chelsea last week. Now it's all 'don't write Chelsea off!!!' 

Better ignore it TBH, we know that Ashley and Rafa aren't in sync but that's obvious. We've played two games since we won the league, this is not a crisis.

Would much rather not have it repeated on here TBH, it's silly.

Rafa is that rare breed of manager who is deemed the most important person / thing about a football club. He knows his power here. He knows how much the public respond to him and hang on his every word. All you have to look at is post after post on here (and Twitter) saying "If Rafa's happy, I'm happy", or "If Rafa rates him, that's good enough for me". We have collectively latched onto him as a beacon for hope.

Therefore Rafa's media-facing morale levels are intrinsically linked to the fans (and probably players) morale. That's why I think he's been wrong to be so public with his views. He knows how fragile the supporters relationship with the club is, and he has misjudged (IMO) how much influence he has over that.

There's some truth in this. Then again, he's honest when asked a question and he also wants to put pressure on Mike Ashley. The chat will change when the window closes.

At the end of the day we wouldn't be having this discussion if we had won one of our two games. So it's only the results which have allowed this agenda to be peddled.

Rafa is that rare breed of manager who is deemed the most important person / thing about a football club. He knows his power here. He knows how much the public respond to him and hang on his every word. All you have to look at is post after post on here (and Twitter) saying "If Rafa's happy, I'm happy", or "If Rafa rates him, that's good enough for me". We have collectively latched onto him as a beacon for hope.

Therefore Rafa's media-facing morale levels are intrinsically linked to the fans (and probably players) morale. That's why I think he's been wrong to be so public with his views. He knows how fragile the supporters relationship with the club is, and he has misjudged (IMO) how much influence he has over that.

What you're not appreciating is that Rafa has gambled on public utterances will unite the fans behind him and apply pressure on Ashley to loosen the purse strings. It is something Rafa has done at virtually every club he's been at.

However, he's not had to deal with someone quite so retarded as Ashley before, and the gamble failed. Instead of Ashley bowing to pressure, the fat cunt has doubled down and refused to budge from his position which is, apparently, that we need to sell before we buy to ease the wage budget.

To say Rafa is responsible for low morale is shooting the messenger because the news is bad. Morale is low because Ashley hasn't permitted our squad to be improved, not because Rafa is telling the media the squad hasn't been improved.

Guest firetotheworks
:thup: Exactly, this idea that Rafa needs to be the one to keep up appearances by keeping the people who are being lied to in the dark is completely flawed.

Guest neesy111

Horrendous. Fair play to Mark Douglas.

Strange comment, seeing as you apparently agree?

That's a different Chris Billany by the way. :lol:

Really? :pilko:

He follows me as well, always think it's nut when he posts.

I thought a couple of weeks ago that perhaps Rafa should keep the issues "in house", but if I'm honest it's only because I find the issues hard to accept. I find it hard to believe that we are going through the same shit again.

Do I want Rafa, perhaps, to tone down the politics? Yes but only because i can't stand the press using it as a stick to beat us with, not because it will change one jot of our performances on the pitch.

A "good vibe", won't change performances, our fans are fantastic at getting behind the team (on the whole). Let's stop blaming the fans again.

The only way results will turn, is when (not if) Rafa finds a tactical solution to our deficiencies and when it happens the press will soon shut up and move onto their next easy target.

To be fair, Rafa is only getting stick from one direction... The southern press. The local guys are much more grounded and have actually defended his honour.

And even then it'll only last for a couple of days. Certainly only until we win and they have another crisis to talk about.

What you're not appreciating is that Rafa has gambled on public utterances will unite the fans behind him and apply pressure on Ashley to loosen the purse strings. It is something Rafa has done at virtually every club he's been at.

However, he's not had to deal with someone quite so retarded as Ashley before, and the gamble failed. Instead of Ashley bowing to pressure, the fat c*** has doubled down and refused to budge from his position which is, apparently, that we need to sell before we buy to ease the wage budget.

<b>To say Rafa is responsible for low morale is shooting the messenger because the news is bad. Morale is low because Ashley hasn't permitted our squad to be improved, not because Rafa is telling the media the squad hasn't been improved.</b>

I get where you're coming from, but think it's more fluid than that. You could easily argue that if Rafa had appeared more positive throughout the summer, regardless of his battles behind the scenes, morale would be a lot higher than it is now.

You can't polish a turd, and I think Rafa's frustration is that he's being forced to assemble a squad of turds. All the feelgood spin or hoopla in the world isn't going to help when you put them out on the pitch. So I think he's right to put the pressure on publicly if there's any chance Ashley will budge from his potentially disastrous position.

Hindu - Rafa has united the support behind him and has the entire fan base for his every word precisely because he's been honest with us since day one. He knows the fans up here aren't stupid and him telling it like it is simply goes along with his personal code of conduct we have all thirsted for for years.

Ashley's interview damaged the morale a lot more than Rafa's soundbites. I was still confident that Rafa might pull something out of the bag until that interview.

Aye that Ashley interview was fucking idiotic. He not only ruined morale but he also seemingly stuck another target right on his forehead again. 

Yep, Ashley just couldn't resist biting back. Despite the 'honest working geezer' persona he tried to peddle he is self-important as anything.

I don't think Ashley realised just how damaging that interview was. The comment about us not spending like Man City for example was infuriating. Rafa specifically addressed that point in a following interview when he said we don't want to compete with Man City but we do want to compete with middle of the table sides and those below. Imagine how angry Rafa must have been listening to that.

I don't think Ashley realised just how damaging that interview was. The comment about us not spending like Man City for example was infuriating. Rafa specifically addressed that point in a following interview when he said we don't want to compete with Man City but we do want to compete with middle of the table sides and those below. Imagine how angry Rafa must have been listening to that.

For a billionaire he's pretty dim. Another one in the long line of one idea and luck/timing mob. Doesn't understand the club or football and probably regretted getting involved way back when the KK crisis broke. What is clear though is that his ego took over...Just couldn't put up with Rafa and his excellent relationships with the press and most fans. This is an owner bites dog scenario.

However, he's not had to deal with someone quite so retarded as Ashley before, and the gamble failed. Instead of Ashley bowing to pressure, the fat c*** has doubled down and refused to budge from his position which is, apparently, that we need to sell before we buy to ease the wage budget.

<b>To say Rafa is responsible for low morale is shooting the messenger because the news is bad. Morale is low because Ashley hasn't permitted our squad to be improved, not because Rafa is telling the media the squad hasn't been improved.</b>

I get where you're coming from, but think it's more fluid than that. You could easily argue that if Rafa had appeared more positive throughout the summer, regardless of his battles behind the scenes, morale would be a lot higher than it is now.

You can't polish a turd, and I think Rafa's frustration is that he's being forced to assemble a squad of turds. All the feelgood spin or hoopla in the world isn't going to help when you put them out on the pitch. So I think he's right to put the pressure on publicly if there's any chance Ashley will budge from his potentially disastrous position.

Depends on the outcome doesn't it. If Rafa making people aware he wasn't happy results (or has already resulted) in that extra player that somehow makes the difference over the course of the entire season then he'll have been right to do it. The entire season is bigger than the effect it has on the first few games.

The narrative of Rafaisnothappy is definitely all over the media though & probably hasn't helped us at the start. But then losing someone like Lejeune & Shelveys red card probably have an equal or bigger effect to the following game in terms of morale. Difficult when you take out your brand new higher level defensive signing & your main playmaker.