Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest firetotheworks

There really isn't a lot of dross in the Premier League anymore, like. Now that the likes of Sunderland, Hull, Villa, Boro, Norwich have gone, and we're the only team not to have made any significant signings around the bottom, we're the dross. And we've already lost to one of our rivals. We have a Championship squad and a Champions League manager, without him we're almost certain favourites for the drop.

The only movement in or out on transfer deadline day saw two loan moves for players who had been told they had no future at the club:

Tim Krul - a season-long loan move to Brighton.

Achraf Lazaar - a season-long loan move to Italians Benevento.

That'll help our bid to avoid relegation....

A year ago today we were congratulating everyone involved for the completion of 45 deals (including five contract extensions) that set up what ultimately proved to be a successful promotion campaign.

But this Summer's transfer window couldn't be more different.

It has been a complete shambles and everyone associated with the club: the owner, management, agents and players have all contributed to an incredible lack of professionalism even for this club. 

It can hang its head in shame as a dispirited squad now faces a season of struggle.

This looks like a re-run of Summer 2012 when we only brought in Vurnon Anita and then had to panic buy when we got to January in 15th.

Sadly the world - and the Premier League - has moved on and we won't be so fortunate this time round.

These penny pinchers are gambling with our future yet again - Premier League survival on a shoestring - having twice come a cropper and sailed close to the wind on a few other occasions.

But we can't absolve Rafa Benitez from some of the blame as a lot of his signings needed to be unloaded and disgruntled and mismanaged players still remain at the club.

To be without a first team left back until January and to offload an international goalkeeper without a replacement is something that few of us expected from this regime.

Whatever positivity was at the club in May after winning the Championship, it has dissipated in just three months. That seemed unthinkable.

What an irony that Benitez returned from a prestigious UEFA coaching forum to try and manage a club with absolutely no ambition and run like a pub side....

If anyone mentions the word hindsight in May 2018 should disaster strike again then we will not be responsible for our actions. It will have been totally predictable and preventable.

The transfer window closed at 11pm on Thursday, here's a recap of what Toon-related business had been completed before then:

Inbound:

Christian Atsu bought

Florian Lejeune bought

Jacob Murphy bought

Javier Manquillo bought

Mikel Merino loaned (with option to buy)

Joselu bought

Outbound:

Vurnon Anita released

Sammy Ameobi released

Yoan Gouffran released

Haris Vuckic released

Lubo Satka released

Florian Thauvin sold

Kevin Mbabu sold

Matz Sels  loaned

Adam Armstrong loaned

Daryl Murphy sold

Ivan Toney loaned

Emmanuel Riviere released

Siem De Jong sold

Grant Hanley sold

Achraf Lazaar loaned

Tim Krul loaned

This needs highlighting more.

4 out of 17 were his signings, 2 of whom were signed specifically for the champo.

But yeah highlight that over the fact that the other 13 were responsible for holding him back in the transfer market.

Yeah I don't get that from nufc.com, none of this shambles is Rafa's fault, yes he had some failures in the market, but which manager hasn't ? You absolutely need to absolve him from any blame here, it's all completely on the shoulders of the owner and his lackies.

Even though i saw this coming it doesn't make me any more dissapointed or angry.  It's very clear now that Ashley and his cock slaves are trying to force Rafa to resign.  Rafa thought he had a good relationship with Charnley but i'm sure he realised today that the little worm has been leading him along the whole time.  Getting rid of Carr and putting the new "head of recruitment" was purely to try and appease Rafa in the short term after we failed to get any early transfer work done, i wouldn't be surprised to see him get the boot once Rafa is gone.  This Justin Barnes c*** that's been brought in is only there to make sure Ashley doesn't get taken to court again and to make things awkward for Rafa, they're hoping Rafa won't be able to take any more and walk, or just as good he takes another job and the fat man scores for some compo.  If these rodents all die a slow, painful and humiliating death i'd be ok with that. ?

Mike Ashley feels threatened by anyone who is popular with the fans - Keegan, Shearer, Hughton and now Rafa all forced out and treat like s***.  Even popular players with an opinion get shown the door (Nolan, Barton etc.). It's much easier for him to appoint a yes man and use him as s*** deflecter, no matter how useless he is.  Thinking about who our next manager is gona be genuinely makes me feel sick.  Whoever it is, i won't be "giving him a chance" i'm afraid!

Top post

Wey not to worry. Only 18 league games left until the window slams open again.    The remaining 17 league games after that maybe seeing a couple of quid thrown at it to try and salvage another season of PL lolly for the fat man.

Something tells me that things wont go as smoothly as he thinks from now on.

Even though i saw this coming it doesn't make me any more dissapointed or angry.  It's very clear now that Ashley and his cock slaves are trying to force Rafa to resign.  Rafa thought he had a good relationship with Charnley but i'm sure he realised today that the little worm has been leading him along the whole time.  Getting rid of Carr and putting the new "head of recruitment" was purely to try and appease Rafa in the short term after we failed to get any early transfer work done, i wouldn't be surprised to see him get the boot once Rafa is gone.  This Justin Barnes c*** that's been brought in is only there to make sure Ashley doesn't get taken to court again and to make things awkward for Rafa, they're hoping Rafa won't be able to take any more and walk, or just as good he takes another job and the fat man scores for some compo.  If these rodents all die a slow, painful and humiliating death i'd be ok with that. ?

Mike Ashley feels threatened by anyone who is popular with the fans - Keegan, Shearer, Hughton and now Rafa all forced out and treat like s***.  Even popular players with an opinion get shown the door (Nolan, Barton etc.). It's much easier for him to appoint a yes man and use him as s*** deflecter, no matter how useless he is.  Thinking about who our next manager is gona be genuinely makes me feel sick.  Whoever it is, i won't be "giving him a chance" i'm afraid!

If Ashley wanted rid of Rafa because he's popular, then why not get rid after promotion when talks were held to persuade Rafa to stay? He could, in theory, have parted ways with Rafa and brought in a puppet with barely a murmur of discontent (most of us would have considered it a real possibility that Rafa would leave after what happened in January). Could have put out news stories about Rafa wanting to move on or wanting different challenges compared to what NUFC can offer to placate fans.

Obviously we don't know if contract clauses would have affected those discussions, though if Rafa was unhappy with the discussions what other option would he have had other than to leave? And whilst I imagine Rafa allegedly communicating his unhappiness with the transfer situation through the media during the summer may have irked Ashley, Rafa did the same in January, so it's nothing new.

Nothing makes sense with Ashley. There's many possibilities, but one of them that I won't rule out just yet is that this is all to do with not wanting to spend until the money is actually received and banked. Wishful thinking probably, but it's still a possibility.

If Ashley wanted rid of Rafa because he's popular, then why not get rid after promotion when talks were held to persuade Rafa to stay? He could, in theory, have parted ways with Rafa and brought in a puppet with barely a murmur of discontent (most of us would have considered it a real possibility that Rafa would leave after what happened in January). Could have put out news stories about Rafa wanting to move on or wanting different challenges compared to what NUFC can offer to placate fans.

Obviously we don't know if contract clauses would have affected those discussions, though if Rafa was unhappy with the discussions what other option would he have had other than to leave? And whilst I imagine Rafa allegedly communicating his unhappiness with the transfer situation through the media during the summer may have irked Ashley, Rafa did the same in January, so it's nothing new.

Nothing makes sense with Ashley. There's many possibilities, but one of them that I won't rule out just yet is that this is all to do with not wanting to spend until the money is actually received and banked. Wishful thinking probably, but it's still a possibility.

I think that is absolutely the case, despite this TV money being guaranteed he's standing to his stance that Rafa can have all the money that we make but no more. The thing that will piss of Rafa most though is the mixed messages he's undoubtedly received, expected to be able to spend that 30 million plus he made last window, expected to be able to spend the upcoming PL TV money, told to ship players out to cut the wage bill, but then not able to secure replacements for the players left. Gibbs was a strange one for me, we were in for him at the start of the window, he goes to Stoke and doesn't agree terms but then ends up at WBA for 7 million. That's a figure surely we should have been all over, but we didn't appear to be interested yet we were desperate for a LB. 

The LB situation is strange.  To me it seems like we don't want to spend any money for a cover.  In other words, we are more than satisfied to have Dummett as our starting LB, contrary to most people belief here.

The LB situation is strange.  To me it seems like we don't want to spend any money for a cover.  In other words, we are more than satisfied to have Dummett as our starting LB, contrary to most people belief here.

Ashley is. Rafa wanted players ffs.

I don't actually believe our squad is a sack of shit, however I do believe that we don't have enough game changers or players that fit the number 10 role and no good left back at the club.

He should have been able to spend 20 million on an attacking player at least and Gibbs should have been bought.

I'm not sure if we will stay up, but I think it will be a lack of goals scored that does it initially. I doubt we will get hammered at any point but will struggle if we ever go a goal down because we lack the attacking players to get us those points.

Ultimately Rafa will leave. In fact he will probably get hounded out by our fans as some of the nuggets will fail to see the deficiencies in the squad and how he has not been backed

For other position yes.  I ain't that sure for LB.  Rafa seems to rate Dummett highly.

I disagree, Ashley will still want rid of Rafa. Not because he's being forced to spend more money than he'd like, that clearly hasn't happened, it might as well have been Pardew asking for more players. But because Rafa is not the type to take it lying down. Ashley was blatantly stung by the veiled criticism of the running of the club, and that led to his propaganda video on Sky. I reckon he'd be delighted if West Ham came in and bought up Rafa's contract. He'd much prefer going back to a yes man who would fall in line with less trouble.

Ashley is playing fire if he wants to wait for West Ham approach.  If I am Rafa I won't walk but try my best to lose every match from now on.  Only relegation can hit the fat cunt hard again.

I disagree, Ashley will still want rid of Rafa. Not because he's being forced to spend more money than he'd like, that clearly hasn't happened, it might as well have been Pardew asking for more players. But because Rafa is not the type to take it lying down. Ashley was blatantly stung by the veiled criticism of the running of the club, and that led to his propaganda video on Sky. I reckon he'd be delighted if West Ham came in and bought up Rafa's contract. He'd much prefer going back to a yes man who would fall in line with less trouble.

yep- Pardew- his dream ticket.

Ashley is playing fire if he wants to wait for West Ham approach.  If I am Rafa I won't walk but try my best to lose every match from now on.  Only relegation can hit the fat cunt hard again.

Are you seriously suggesting Rafa should or will aim to lose games? [emoji38]

It such a mental thing to say. [emoji38]

As long as Rafa is here I have hope.

If he leaves we can crash and burn.

Ashley is playing fire if he wants to wait for West Ham approach.  If I am Rafa I won't walk but try my best to lose every match from now on.  Only relegation can hit the fat c*** hard again.

Are you seriously suggesting Rafa should or will aim to lose games? [emoji38]

I won't blame him to do so if the aim is just to fuck off the fat cunt [emoji38]

Seriously no one will match the fat cunt asking price and we are stucked till his death if we continue like this. The only way to cut the tie is to hit him hard, either by continuous relegation, restarting the Ashleyout campaign, or start some kinda boycotting to his Sports Direct business.  The fat cunt simply won't get any harm by continue this way and we are the only one who suffer - and why should we?

I always say the Ashleyout campaign needs to restart.  Just like what we did 10 years ago.  Why is the fat cunt allowed to sit calmly in St James?

Look back if we was sold 10 years ago after relegation, imagine where we are now? 

For other position yes.  I ain't that sure for LB.  Rafa seems to rate Dummett highly.

Yes he's happy for Dummett to play. Doesn't mean he didn't want competition for his place (you know, like he's been saying all summer). Or are you trying to imply that Rafa's thinking is in line with the clubs?  :lol: