Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I'm surprised he hasn't signed anyone yet.

I think the priority has always been to try to hold on to what we have, if we lose a player, he'll use the money to buy a replacement. Right now bar Steven Taylor's release, the squad is slightly strengthened by Armstrong, Ameobi, Vuckic, Thauvin (at the minute) and the returning injured players like Krul, to the one that finished up last season. That squad should in theory be more than capable under Rafa of coming straight back.

I think we will see though some movement both in and out next week, don't think though there will be whole sale changes unless more players leave than they are expecting.

With Rafa in charge and with what we have already we were able to smash Tottenham in the last game of the season and hold the likes of Liverpool and City to a draw.

We don't need to sign anyone if we can hold on to what we have

With Rafa in charge and with what we have already we were able to smash Tottenham in the last game of the season and hold the likes of Liverpool and City to a draw.

We don't need to sign anyone if we can hold on to what we have

yes we do. the squad isnt nearly big enough for a 46 game season, especially with our record of injuries. we were already short of CB's and strikers last season.

IMO the ones who will definitely be off are Janmaat, Sissoko and Wijnaldum, therefore we need to replace those three on top of the 4-5 extra players we still need.

I have the utmost trust in Rafa but I hope there's plenty going on behind the scenes and we're just waiting to make our move, because we are in need of a fair amount of players, and we need the right players, another season in the champ even with Rafa would be depressing as f.

Guest chopey

When the fixtures came out yesterday I just thought " erh what the fuck is Rafa Benitez doing managing us in the championship?"

yes we do. the squad isnt nearly big enough for a 46 game season, especially with our record of injuries. we were already short of CB's and strikers last season.

Short in the Premier League, but some of the shit we have as cover that weren't nearly good enough in the Premier League will be good enough in the Championship.

Quite a good chance we'll lose the likes of Tiote, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Janmaat possibly even Townsend too.

But as of right now they aren't going, so I'd think we just have players lined up to replace them but won't go for any until that becomes clearer.

Guest reefatoon

Just love listening to him speak. The bloke is a revelation.

Still can't quite believe it's real TBH. Loco.

I know, it feels so strange. Can't remember the last time I have been as excited as this for a season to start.

I like how he responds to the question about teams seeing us as the big scalp in the Championship this season, in his interview in the transfer rumours thread. Says he's used to it after managing Liverpool, Chelsea, Napoli, Real and discusses how we might have to approach it tactically with teams sitting a bit deeper. If Pardew was here it would be all 'it's going to be difficult because everyone wants to beat us, we have to fight and battle etc etc.' Tactics wouldn't come into it. Such a relief that we have this guy in charge now.