Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Soz like, I'd choose Mourinho over Benitez.

I would have done a few years ago. But no way after the way it ended at Chelsea and how he treated his staff. Rafa is the perfect manager for us, understands the club but also how to succeed and strong enough to stick to his convictions.

Kid Icarus and HandsDownHisPants, and others seem very adamant that Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2.

Err, I've never said this like :lol:

When you stated 'that would be like asking McDonald's to change the recipe of their fries.' What did you mean?

Choosing the Mourinho of now is pretty much like choosing the Brian Clough of 1992. A busted flush.

It might even be like choosing the Brian Clough of now....

You don't win the honours he has by luck, he'll be back, although he was never a proponent of the beautiful game even at his height. In any case, Rafa is a much better fit for us. He seems to thrive on passion for the game, and few clubs match us for that. Liverpool are very similar to us, although obviously a lot more successful now, but you can see why he wanted to come here after being idolised there.

Kid Icarus and HandsDownHisPants, and others seem very adamant that Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2.

Err, I've never said this like :lol:

When you stated 'that would be like asking McDonald's to change the recipe of their fries.' What did you mean?

Not "Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2" :lol: You sort of put those words into my mouth there, for some reason.

I think wanting Rafa to switch to 4-4-2 is pretty moronic given 4-5-1 is the system he's played for most of his career with great success. He might play 4-4-2 now and then, he might even switch to it full time at some point, I don't think he's allergic to the formation or out. The wish for him to move away from his preferred system (that is currently working to great effect) is daft.

I was given an interesting question last night.

Benitez or Mourinho who would you have right now?

Think i'd stick

Benitez ANY day. Much more chance of some longevity and seems to have an affiliation with the area already. I can't be doing with all that arrogant bollocks either.

And another thing, this clamouring for 442 in various quarters from fans desperate to Mitrovic and Gayle together. We're winning with the current system why change it ffs?

It's always a good sign when your keeper starts throwing the ball out to defenders rather than hoofing it long down the pitch. Our football now is the most consistent, well drilled passing game we've had since SBR I reckon. Not always riveting attacking stuff by any stretch of the imagination, but it's well organised and slick. Teams like Birmingham can't live with us.

Yeah, the Rafa brand is high on lots of possession and build up. I was in school/college back then so I might be wrong, but my memory of SBR's team was moving with the ball quickly and attacking. Closer to Klopp/Keegan than Rafa.

Did we play a passing game under Sir Bobby? My memory was it was fast flowing wing play and hitting on the counter. Plan B being aim for Shearer for Bellamy's trusty left foot to feed off.

There was definitely a lot of fast counters, but the ball was usually on the floor. Funnily enough though, one of my complaints during his last year was that the keeper was kicking the ball long too much. I can never understand that from a team that wants to play possession football.

Did we play a passing game under Sir Bobby? My memory was it was fast flowing wing play and hitting on the counter. Plan B being aim for Shearer for Bellamy's trusty left foot to feed off.

We did until teams started sticking 5 in midfield and we had to bypass the congested middle with a ball up to Shearer and then Bellamy would work off him, then the midfield could join in.

We did until teams started sticking 5 in midfield and we had to bypass the congested middle with a ball up to Shearer and then Bellamy would work off him, then the midfield could join in.

Aye when the game moved to 5 man midfield our play got more direct. Solano out for Bowyer, Jenas started more games at CM rather than Dyer.

Guest firetotheworks

I know it was mentioned a few pages back but here's the link for the Podcast about True Faith's most recent meeting with Rafa.

Been listening to this. As I suspected, Carr wasn't really to blame for some of our shit signings and he has been under exactly the sort of restrictions that some of us suspected he was.