Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

10 points clear of third with five matches left but we should be home and dry. Hmm.

Exactly. How many points of 3rd were we clear last time after this many games out of curiosity?

Apples, I'd like to introduce you to oranges

10 points clear of third with five matches left but we should be home and dry. Hmm.

Exactly. How many points of 3rd were we clear last time after this many games out of curiosity?

Possibly the worst ever use of this phrase.

You think the 2 scenarios are directly comparable Ian, really?

Norwich, Aston Villa. There but for the grace of God

The grace of Rafa TBF.

Yip. That's what i meant. Not possible to overestimate the job he has done in turning what was a husk of an institution round in such a short space of time. So it's a bit functional, so fucking what!

The point I was making was that everyone talks about us pissing it back then so I was curious to see what the difference is points was.

The point I was making was that everyone talks about us pissing it back then so I was curious to see what the difference is points was.

I appreciate that. Bigger I'd think as we were promoted over Easter. Some folk are using things like this as a stick to beat Rafa with is all - and i just don't think comparisons are valid, either in terms of our position as a club or the make up of the league.  I'm a bit defensive of Rafa - sorry if you're not one of the naysayers.

17 Clear of 3rd with a game in hand last time at this point. We were on 89 points & with 48 GD, so bit better all around.

Same amount of wins though, it's all draws.

Considering we largely kept together much of a prem side that season though, compared to changing near our entire team this i'd say Rafa's done very well.

17 Clear of 3rd with a game in hand last time at this point. We were on 89 points & with 48 GD, so bit better all around.

Same amount of wins though, it's all draws.

Considering we largely kept together much of a prem side that season though, compared to changing near our entire team this i'd say Rafa's done very well.

Not to mention he's had to turn around a losing mentality that has festered for years. Club has been rotten to the core for years

Guest chopey

Is anyone who is critical able to name any manager who would be doing a better job?

Steve "bulldog" Bruce ?

Is anyone who is critical able to name any manager who would be doing a better job?

Steve "bulldog" Bruce ?

That'll be the same one who until very recently was doing extremely poorly with a Villa side that was expected to be in the top two?

His dinosaur tactics have been ridiculed by the Villa support.

Guest chopey

Steve "bulldog" Bruce ?

That'll be the same one who until very recently was doing extremely poorly with a Villa side that was expected to be in the top two?

His dinosaur tactics have been ridiculed by the Villa support.

But I think his ability to eat two chips more than a pig would catch Ashley's eye

Norwich, Aston Villa. There but for the grace of God

Villa spent an absolute fortune as well in the summer and another fortune in January. Rafa wasn't backed in January when we needed more in and it's been a battle since but well on course for automatic promotion with over 90 points.

I appreciate that. Bigger I'd think as we were promoted over Easter. Some folk are using things like this as a stick to beat Rafa with is all - and i just don't think comparisons are valid, either in terms of our position as a club or the make up of the league.  I'm a bit defensive of Rafa - sorry if you're not one of the naysayers.

I think last time we were more a mid-table Premier League side with the likes of Nolan, Barton and Butt who were competitive leaders and able to dominate the Championship and the likes of Andy Carroll, Jose Enrique and Colo were all superb and the squad was well managed by Hughton. That side should never have gone down but were so badly managed.

It was a better side than we have now. Apart from Shelvey there's not a great deal of Premier League quality and he'd have struggled to get into that side of 09/10. We've signed more solid pros to get the job done and hope that the manager is backed in the summer to sign the quality needed to do well in the Prem.

Guest neesy111

Barton who played a sum total of 12 games.  Honestly the shite that is talked about him by some of our fans is pathetic.

A lot of the players here this season were bought for this division. It shouldn't be that much of a shock that they won't be good enough to do much in the premier league. Despite losing yesterday we are going up, so job done basically. There'll be big changes to the squad next season and that's when we'll see a real Rafa team.

A lot of the players here this season were bought for this division. It shouldn't be that much of a shock that they won't be good enough to do much in the premier league. Despite losing yesterday we are going up, so job done basically. There'll be big changes to the squad next season and that's when we'll see a real Rafa team.

Exactly. Sick of seeing people whinging their tits off about the lack of Premier League quality. That isn't an issue until August and will be massively irrelevant if we strengthen as we should.

The existing players stepped up - many of which were poor or didn't play much in the PL.

Colo

Enrique

Lovenkrands

Carroll

Did very well. And we brought in some good players for the level and a little higher - Simpson, Routledge & Williamson.

One of the biggest disappointments of this season is players from last season haven't kicked on. Mitro, Ayoze or Chancel you perhaps fancied to do what Colo, Enrique and Carroll did  but nope still Pap.

Truthfully I think Houghts is probably better suited to this division than Rafa too. But we'll get promoted and i'm certain if Rafa is backed we'll stay up with ease - can't say the same for Brighton.