Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Nothing new there though? We new he wasn't happy in the January window, he's already said he had expected more at this stage following his talks with Ashley.

It paints a very bleak picture and is coming from the most reliable source yet, I personally haven't seen the "four players" or "top five" bit mentioned anywhere else but I might have missed it.

Top five is a massive stretch tbf.  We can only hope to usurp Everton at best within five years imo.

Even if we did have a one-off season similar to under The King, all of our players would be courted by the press to go to one of the 'elite'

How much better though must the club come across in one of these when it's Rafa talking to the likes of Conte, Mourinho and Wenger rather than Pardew.

Don't think him and Mou will be doing much talking

rafa just said he in the talk-in that he was speaking to mourinho over the phone etc.

The detail he left out was that it's mostly prank calls.

"I'd like to talk to you about one matter. Sorry,  I mean I'd like to talk to you about Juan Mata. "

Guest firetotheworks

What a surprise, people still refusing to look at things objectively. Why would Hardy lie?

FWIW, aiming for top 5 isn't necessarily anything other than getting the right mentality into everyone. Aim for the moon and you might get the stars and all that, to paraphrase Keegan.

Yeah the top 5 thing has to be crap, it would take us a number of years to challenge that high.

Not sure Hardy is the type to talk shite in such an open way. Why would he risk his relationship with Benitez for a Q&A with Sky?

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks very carefully about what he says about the club and the manager, to the extent he'll even be trotting out a particular message to suit the latter's agenda.

i think the top 5 comment has more do with the sustained growth and continued investment to improve, not this nickel and diming bullshit.

Yep. Those who thinks Rafa would be content with a side that wouldn't be challenging for a top 5 spot are the ones who are deluded. He's not daft, he wouldn't expect to do it first season back, but within a year we could have been more than pushing on for it. Obviously you need better players though, you can't do it with Championship players.

This quote from Hardy should be shown to fat Mike...

When Benitez goes, Newcastle will crumble.

I really don't think he understands how bad it will be if Rafa walks away.

I think he doesn't care; he'd rather run it into the ground than not get his way.

Yeah the top 5 thing has to be crap, it would take us a number of years to challenge that high.

Not sure Hardy is the type to talk shite in such an open way. Why would he risk his relationship with Benitez for a Q&A with Sky?

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks very carefully about what he says about the club and the manager, to the extent he'll even be trotting out a particular message to suit the latter's agenda.

He said similar on one of the TF podcasts. Top 5 as end goal for the 'project'.

Top 5 as newly promoted :lol:

Clickbait bullshit.

Doubt it means this season, just potentially after a few years of improvement.

:thup: Its amazing whenever a trusted source talks about Rafa's ambition and frustrations with the club people accuse them of lying :lol:

Rafa seeing the potential of a club like this, setting high goals but getting fucked around really doesn't sound like bullshit to me.

What a surprise, people still refusing to look at things objectively. Why would Hardy lie?

FWIW, aiming for top 5 isn't necessarily anything other than getting the right mentality into everyone. Aim for the moon and you might get the stars and all that, to paraphrase Keegan.

Rafa is big time, Ashley's Sports Direct United is and will always be a zombie club in need of a company man, without any semblance of professional & competitive pride to coach the team. The disconnect between the current manager and the regime is massive. May as well bring back Pardew.

This lot must have breathed a huge sigh of relief when when a potential albeit costly gem/Iheanacho (on Rafa's hit list) evnetually secured a move to Leicester. Will be a gut punch, for Rafa, if Perez secures an escape from Arsenal, with a move to Turkey or Spain, while we were playing the sell-to-buy game.

Rafa is big time, Ashley's Sports Direct United is and will always be a zombie club in need of a company man, without any semblance of professional & competitive pride to coach the team. The disconnect between the current manager and the regime is massive. May as well bring back Pardew.

This lot must have breathed a huge sigh of relief when when a potential albeit costly gem/Iheanacho (on Rafa's hit list) evnetually secured a move to Leicester. Will be a gut punch, for Rafa, if Perez secures an escape from Arsenal, with a move to Turkey or Spain, while we were playing the sell-to-buy game.

I don't know about Perez since it seems he wants to go back to Spain, but we should have been in there pitching for Iheanacho at that price. Hard to see past one more season with Rafa here tbh. He's going to be sickened to the core by the time he's done with this lot.