Newcastle United 1-1 Sunderland - 20/03/16 - Post match discussion from p.47

BlufPurdi

Defoe saying they were the better team and that he can only remember us having one chance other than the goal. I guess having 4 more shots in total than them, double the amount on target (one of which was cleared off the line), and 60% possession counts for fuck all.

If you look at the financial outlay that has been made on these players, you are shocked at how bad they can be...also, in the first half especially, there was a distinct lack of bite and willingness to get stuck in to win the second ball..Perez especially guilty, had a mare in the first half, and Wijnaldum disappeared(as usual) too. We lost possession far too easily up front and the only player to cause them any problems was Townsend when he used his dribbling/pace to run at them.

If we go down - and its still odds on as far as I am concerned - both Carr and Charnley should be fired for some awful transfer buys as well as pathetic decisions about management. Clearly, Rafa will make a difference but was brought in FAR too late to have a realistic chance of keeping us up.

Sunderland were clearly the better side in the first half and we have Elliott to thank for keeping them out for so long. They had a better balance throughout the side and the fact that we signed Colback from them shows what a mess our transfer policy is compared to their recent signings. Colback was dire and I am glad Rafa took him off because he and Janmaat were odds on to be sent off. Shelvey does not look happy in his current position, although it should be his forte.

Although we got a late equaliser, it is hard to see how this side can survive - Norwich look a side determined to fight to stay up and that is something we lack in many positions throughout the side. I will be very surprised if we beat them when we meet and frankly, on this performance we will be lucky to get a point. Survival is Sunderland and Norwich's to lose....it is now a distant goal for us because we have dropped too many vital points to relegation rivals, cannot score goals and lack physical courage(apart from Mitro, although he lacks other necessary qualities for a striker).

If Rafa had ANY doubts as to the size of his task, he will have had them well and truly dispelled after watching yesterday's game. If he had been able to sign a couple of players, I have no doubt he would have done so........

Defoe saying they were the better team and that he can only remember us having one chance other than the goal. I guess having 4 more shots in total than them, double the amount on target (one of which was cleared off the line), and 60% possession counts for fuck all.

If you can't see they were the better side, there really is no hope for you.

Defoe saying they were the better team and that he can only remember us having one chance other than the goal. I guess having 4 more shots in total than them, double the amount on target (one of which was cleared off the line), and 60% possession counts for f*** all.

I think we were as dominant in the 2nd half as they were in the first, neither team looked anything special.

The defending on their goal was fucking pitiful. All of it.

I know it was hit hard but Elliott's parry was fucking terrible too, I have no idea what the defenders were thinking though, 4 of them followed the ball and left every Sunderland player in the box free, bizzare.

We're really bad at getting the ball away from danger in general though, it's worrying.

Defoe saying they were the better team and that he can only remember us having one chance other than the goal. I guess having 4 more shots in total than them, double the amount on target (one of which was cleared off the line), and 60% possession counts for f*** all.

I think we were as dominant in the 2nd half as they were in the first, neither team looked anything special.

As far as I saw they controlled the game until they dropped deep protecting what they had and took off Kirchhoff and Khazri. We were better second half agreed , but definitely not the better side overall.

I do believe under our previous three managers we'd have lost the game convincingly though.

Their players were 'smarter' than ours in the respect that they won fouls often accompanied in Borini's case with a full throated scream.  Every time they were touched they threw themselves to the floor.

The defending on their goal was fucking pitiful. All of it.

I know it was hit hard but Elliott's parry was fucking terrible too, I have no idea what the defenders were thinking though, 4 of them followed the ball and left every Sunderland player in the box free, bizzare.

We're really bad at getting the ball away from danger in general though, it's worrying.

Any half decent keeper would have parried it over the bar.

Their players were 'smarter' than ours in the respect that they won fouls often accompanied in Borini's case with a full throated scream.  Every time they were touched they threw themselves to the floor.

They know who the clumsy tacklers are and our lack of pace and exploited it well in their pressing and the stuff you describe.

They know who the clumsy tacklers are and our lack of pace and exploited it well in their pressing and the stuff you describe.

Mind you, these theatrics won them the reverse fixture too.