Championship Planning

Tiresias

I understand the worry, how can any newcastle fan not be constantly worried, but logically we should be at the top end of the league all season. Obviously anything can go wrong but out of the starting blocks we should be confident.

Besides us, who's going to be battling for promotion this season? Norwich, Brighton, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Villa, Brentford and Cardiff? Because I can't recall many clubs being in the race last time we were down there aside from West Brom. Probably because we just ran away with it, like.

Their new owner has the potential to shake things up a bit in the next month, but their squad and manager as it is would be very lucky to get automatic promotion

I think Derby will be our main rivals now they've got a manager who's won the league previously with a similar stature club

Was looking at Norwich's squad today, as I assume they'll be one of our rivals, and their out and out striker options seem to be Cameron Jerome,  Kyle Lafferty and Ricky van Wolfwinkel which are pretty uninspiring

van Wolfswinkel just left to join Vitesse so going to be interesting to see if they go into the new season with just Jerome and Lafferty as their out and out strikers. Can see why they're desperate for McCormack and/or Assombalonga

Our fans love to worry for the sake of worrying.

So what don't you agree with?

You are saying player x, y or z is going to perform in a certain way and that's it.  Our manager has been here for 10 competitive games and individual players are already improving.  Anita the most, Lascelles was brought in from the cold and became a monster in defence.  I think Rafa can make them improve as individuals but get us functioning better as a unit than any previous manager at NUFC. 

It's only pre season but Shelvey looks sharp, he will become a better player imo and in this league he could be very good for us.  A lot of worry is around the expectation that we should "p*ss the league", football isn't like that but under this manager, the signings we've made and signings to come we should be there or there abouts.

Looking at the current squad compared to that of the one at start of the 2009 season, is there any players you'd take from that season into this one? I think i'd only take Carroll, Nolan, Enrique and Jonas. Other then that, i'd say our current squad is much better then the one of that season.

Looking at the current squad compared to that of the one at start of the 2009 season, is there any players you'd take from that season into this one? I think i'd only take Carroll, Nolan, Enrique and Jonas. Other then that, i'd say our current squad is much better then the one of that season.

Coloccini was quality. 28 year old Coloccini would get in this side without a question.

Colo, Barton

Colo, Barton

Barton could barely get into the 2009 team. :lol:

Started the season on the bench, and by the end the best front 6 was Routledge, Guthrie, Nolan, Jonas, Lovenkrands & Carroll from memory.

Barton was only ever effective for us at RW. Routledge was better.

:thup:

Signing Routledge and him hitting the ground straight away pretty much secured our promotion.  He was the best opposition player at SJP that season when he played for QPR