The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Active day for NUFC in Africa:

Atsu started for Ghana, who suffered a very damaging 2-0 defeat today in Cairo against Egypt. Combined with a lacklustre draw in Accra against Uganda in the first match, the Black Stars are in a precarious position for the World Cup with 2 of the 6 groups matches played.

Mbemba started for DR Congo and as usual played in defensive midfield, rather than defense. Northampton's Zakuani plays as central defender and also captains the side. They played pretty poorly (Mbemba included) , imo, but scored two goals in three minutes in the second half (one of which was thunder bolt by Bolasie) to steal a 2-1 win against Guinea in Conakry, which is a tough place to play. RDC are now my second team and I think we are in a good position to qualify for the World Cup, but it will really come down to the home and home with Tunisia.

For my personal enjoyment, we got a big win yesterday. Many consider Algeria the best team in Africa and yesterday they had Slimani, Mahrez, Brahimi, Bentaleb, and Feghouli in their ranks, but they left Nigeria with a fairly comprehensive 3-1 defeat. The defence still is questionable under the new manager, but the team we had yesterday with Moses, Iheanacho, and Iwobi (with players like Musa, Ighalo, and Success in reserve) attacking and Mikel dominating the middle, is very exciting and absolutely loaded with fire power. Even 4 points clear after 2 matches, qualifying above Algeria and Cameroon in the "group of broken dreams" won't be easy, but this team could be special in 2018 without the usual self-destruction. Fwiw, Abeid came on for the final 20 minutes. I didn't notice much from him.

Portugal were dogshit at the Euros with Ronaldo or without him. Shouldn't have got beyond the group stages were it not for ridiculous cash grab format from UEFA as was. Still not that they didn't deserve to win, they did what they had to do, but one of the worst international sides to win a tourney ever. Dire to watch.

Ronaldo obviously had a big part in the euros win, but it wasn't a dragging them to the title situation.

Not in this thread, but it's bizzare to see elsewhere in online comments people either basically saying he won it for them or saying he had no part in it because he was injured in the final.

The truth, as usual (but boring), is somewhere inbetween.

I suspect the Portuguese couldn't give a flying fuck how good they are this very second or in two years time having achieved more than was even possible last summer with a bang average but supremely well organised team.

Suggesting they won the Euros without him is retarded like.

I've only said that to try to rile the other guy up. Think they're an underrated team apart from him though and it wasn't a fluke that they won the final without him