Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IMO its a silly fee for a lad who has scored a goal every 4 games for the last one and a half seasons and barely plays at all for a side 3 points above us.  Then again why would Watford want to sell to a club 3 points below them for a reasonable fee? :dontknow:  Better just to spend that money elsewhere if we have it anyway.

20M! Who are they trying to kid? It's not so much the player he is but the fact that they've signed up to pay him 100,000 a week till 2021. Aging non-first teamers on long tasty contracts are liabilities, not assets. The fee has to reflect that.

As a player he'd improve us, but the fee would have to be low and he'd have to take a pay cut. If that's not on, Watford can merrily continue giving him five million a year and he can continue sitting on their bench watching his "Watford legend" status evaporate and generally stinking the place out, which he will if he's on that much and not playing.

That's the sort of price we're going to get quoted for basically any player in the PL.  If we're on a limited budget (if :lol:) we're best off looking to some of the other decent European leagues.

edit:  He's on £100k a week?? Troy Deeney? Insanity.

I wouldn't take him for any less than 7m and that obviously won't happen. I think he'd show more strength than any of our forwards, but as others have pointed out, it's been misplaced aggresion this season and it seems Rafa isn't keen on that.

Mitrovic > Deeney and it’s not even close

Righto :lol:

Nah. Fully agree with that. Much rather persist with Mitro than sign a 29 year old Deeney who has less goals per minute in his PL appereances (not counting the season we were down in the Champ) than Mitro. Not to mention his disciplinary record is somehow worse :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

£20m for an established premier league striker who'll get around 10-15 a season, in January, from a team in a bit of a free fall is absolutely fair enough. It's not Watford's problem that we're stuck in the pre-Chelsea/Man City era, never mind the pre-TV deal era.

Guest firetotheworks

Troydini's currently a much better option than Mitrovic, man. [emoji38] Fucking hell. Still a bit of a nutter and I'd much rather see us look elsewhere like, but that's the situation.

£20m for an established premier league striker who'll get around 10-15 a season, in January, from a team in a bit of a free fall is absolutely fair enough. It's not Watford's problem that we're stuck in the pre-Chelsea/Man City era, never mind the pre-TV deal era.

See my point about how he's not even an upgrade on Mitro when it comes to PL goals per minutes played or an upgrade on disciplinary records.

Not saying £20 million isn't the asking price for a player like Troy Deeney, but if it is, we clearly need to pay even more for a better striker.

Mitrovic > Deeney and it’s not even close

Righto :lol:

I’m not saying that Mitrovic is the answer, just that Deeney isn’t any better. He can’t get a f****** game for Watford ffs!

Well Mitrovic can't even get a game for us! :lol:

Matter of fact ... Mitrovic couldn't even get a game for us in the Championship! :lol:

Now can you see how ridiculous your statement is :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Its not always about goals scored with a striker, its about what they bring to the team in other ways especially in a Rafa team. People who would turn their nose up at Deeney are mad :lol:

I must be the only one who would welcome Deeney - although no long term target, he is someone who has the capability and pedigree to help see us over the line this year.

I am pretty sure he also thinks highly of us. I am aware he's not very different to Mitro but Rafa is obviously not interested in having Mitro around anymore for reasons probably beyond what we already know also, given how he hasn't given up on Shelvey.

Guest Howaythetoon

Deeney is similar to Mitro in far too many ways, and much older. If you don't turn your nose up at it, you're mad. We should be aiming for better. Can't go exchaning like for like if we want to improve.

Its pointless comparing him to someone who clearly doesn't have a future here.

As for better.... in our position and with our budget?

If he's available and at the right price that we can afford (ha) I'd have him here in a heart beat.