Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Its not always about goals scored with a striker, its about what they bring to the team in other ways especially in a Rafa team. People who would turn their nose up at Deeney are mad :lol:

I agree about the goals bit. Play to a player's strengths (Think Mitrovic V Norwich last season and QPR away). However if you think Deeney will chase about the line the way Rafa likes his forwards to then I think you're in for an unpleasant surprise.

Hopefully it's just paper  talk and nothing of substance.

Guest firetotheworks

£20m for an established premier league striker who'll get around 10-15 a season, in January, from a team in a bit of a free fall is absolutely fair enough. It's not Watford's problem that we're stuck in the pre-Chelsea/Man City era, never mind the pre-TV deal era.

See my point about how he's not even an upgrade on Mitro when it comes to PL goals per minutes played or an upgrade on disciplinary records.

Not saying £20 million isn't the asking price for a player like Troy Deeney, but if it is, we clearly need to pay even more for a better striker.

We should, but it's never going to happen, nor is paying £20m probably.

I've done the whole Mitrovic thing to death like, so I'll just summarise by saying that I completely disagree with the comparison. Mitrovic might go on to be the undoubtedly better striker, others seem adamant that he's going to be really good, but I'm not. At the moment we need someone for now.

Guest firetotheworks

Deeney is similar to Mitro in far too many ways, and much older. If you don't turn your nose up at it, you're mad. We should be aiming for better. Can't go exchaning like for like if we want to improve.

We should be doing a lot of things, but it's a bit of an empty argument when it's a certainty that we won't aim higher and will almost certainly look lower again in terms of transfer fee.

Deeney is similar to Mitro in far too many ways, and much older. If you don't turn your nose up at it, you're mad. We should be aiming for better. Can't go exchaning like for like if we want to improve.

Its pointless comparing him to someone who clearly doesn't have a future here.

As for better.... in our position and with our budget?

If he's available and at the right price that we can afford (ha) I'd have him here in a heart beat.

That's a key point, for £20m and silly wages there must be better options out there.  For me it's not just that, though, i'm not sure he's what we need.  We already have Mitro and Joselu in that sort of mould, for me we need someone more mobile who'll work across the line, opening up space and sticking the ball in the net.

£20m for an established premier league striker who'll get around 10-15 a season, in January, from a team in a bit of a free fall is absolutely fair enough. It's not Watford's problem that we're stuck in the pre-Chelsea/Man City era, never mind the pre-TV deal era.

See my point about how he's not even an upgrade on Mitro when it comes to PL goals per minutes played or an upgrade on disciplinary records.

Not saying £20 million isn't the asking price for a player like Troy Deeney, but if it is, we clearly need to pay even more for a better striker.

I've done the whole Mitrovic thing to death like, so I'll just summarise by saying that I completely disagree with the comparison. Mitrovic might go on to be the undoubtedly better striker, others seem adamant that he's going to be really good, but I'm not. At the moment we need someone for now.

My comparison is more that Mitro actually has a better goals per minute ratio in the PL than Deeney, and they are very similar players in style. Obviously we won't persist with Mitro and need to replace him, just don't see why we should waste £20 million on Deeney.

In no way am I disagreeing we need a new striker, or saying that we should play Mitro (we won't, we all know that). Just that it would be idiotic to go for Deeney in my opinion when stat wise we have a younger player on our books that has a better goal ratio. My issue is that we need to improve our striking options, which to me means bringing in better than what we already got.

Mitrovic > Deeney and it’s not even close

Righto :lol:

I’m not saying that Mitrovic is the answer, just that Deeney isn’t any better. He can’t get a f****** game for Watford ffs!

Well Mitrovic can't even get a game for us! :lol:

Matter of fact ... Mitrovic couldn't even get a game for us in the Championship! :lol:

Now can you see how ridiculous your statement is :lol:

It’s all about opinions I guess and yours is wrong ?

Deeney is not good enough.

13 goals, 7 assists the first season and 10g, 4a last season. In the summer I would have been pretty excited about him, but the first half of this season has thrown up some huge red flags. Assuming we're operating under Ashley conditions though I'm not sure we're going to do much better.

I'd definitely want Slimani over him though if that's an option.

He takes penalties as well, if Mitro got as many games and took the pens he might have those sort of stats. I know Mitro is not in the squad because he's disruptive, my point is, Deeney's not really a goal scoring forward, and as we play with only one striker, he'd need to do better than that.

Guest firetotheworks

My comparison is more that Mitro actually has a better goals per minute ratio in the PL than Deeney, and they are very similar players in style. Obviously we won't persist with Mitro and need to replace him, just don't see why we should waste £20 million on Deeney.

In no way am I disagreeing we need a new striker, or saying that we should play Mitro (we won't, we all know that). Just that it would be idiotic to go for Deeney in my opinion when stat wise we have a younger player on our books that has a better goal ratio. My issue is that we need to improve our striking options, which to me means bringing in better than what we already got.

Goals per minute shmoals per shminute tbh. Stats are fine and all that, but we could throw different ones back and forth all day to back up our opinions on the players - e.g. 15 and 10 in the last two Premier League seasons vs 9 and 8 in the Premier League and then the Championship - but going on gut instinct, at the moment, Deeney is a much better, more established option than Mitrovic. If we weren't battling relegation I'd say to keep Mitrovic over getting Deeney, but as we are, and there are no other options coming to the fore, or ones that are in any way realistic, it's a no brainer. Again, I think we'll be looking lower down than Deeney.

I can bet with you that if you play Mitrovic you will get the same amount of goals. After all, he scored 9 in his first season. Deeney isn't better than Mitrovic and we need someone else.

Mitrovic > Deeney and it’s not even close

Righto :lol:

I’m not saying that Mitrovic is the answer, just that Deeney isn’t any better. He can’t get a f****** game for Watford ffs!

Well Mitrovic can't even get a game for us! :lol:

Matter of fact ... Mitrovic couldn't even get a game for us in the Championship! :lol:

Now can you see how ridiculous your statement is :lol:

That means that Rafa doesn't want him, nothing more.

Guest firetotheworks

I can bet with you that if you play Mitrovic you will get the same amount of goals. After all, he scored 9 in his first season. Deeney isn't better than Mitrovic and we need someone else.

Well it's a hypothetical bet because it's never going to happen. :lol: We're not going to spend what's needed to get a better player than Deeney, like.

We should bring that damn Boakye guy that chronicle talked about last month and end this soap opera. If Ashley can't buy us a proper striker than he can bring anyone he wants, it really doesn't matter at that point. We're not going down 100% without a 20 mil striker, but we'll struggle. 

Well it's a hypothetical bet because it's never going to happen. :lol: We're not going to spend what's needed to get a better player than Deeney, like.

Hopefully we can loan one. Slimani is probably not going to happen, but someone like Remy maybe.

But spending 20mil on a player like Deeney? Come on, that's same as Andy Carroll to Liverpool for 35mil. Waste of money.

We need a striker with pace besides Gayle. Deeney, whilst he is someone I would probably take as he's better than nothing, lacks speed.

Been waxing lyrical about either Batshuayi or Sturridge on loan until the end of the season. But if the fat bullheaded t*** who owns us wouldn't sanction Tammy Abraham on loan he isn't going to sanction players like those 2 is he.

Guest firetotheworks

Well it's a hypothetical bet because it's never going to happen. [emoji38] We're not going to spend what's needed to get a better player than Deeney, like.

But spending 20mil on a player like Deeney? Come on, that's same as Andy Carroll to Liverpool for 35mil. Waste of money.

It's not though. Unfortunately in 2018 that's what £20m gets you. Look at all of the other £20m transfer fees for attacking players in the last couple of windows and tell me which ones you'd consider to be worth it. I'd probably fail to pick a single player using the pre-TV deal transfer scale.

People needn’t worry. There is no way Ashley will sanction spending 20m on a player, never mind one older than mid twenties. I’m pretty much resigned to us not spending at all this January bar maybe the odd fringe player on loan. Ashley will happily gamble with the future of the club once again in the hope Rafa keeps us up so he can go back to asking 400m for us.

Howay Amanda, save us from this bloody nightmare please!

Well it's a hypothetical bet because it's never going to happen. [emoji38] We're not going to spend what's needed to get a better player than Deeney, like.

It's not though. Unfortunately in 2018 that's what £20m gets you. Look at all of the other £20m transfer fees for attacking players in the last couple of windows and tell me which ones you'd consider to be worth it. I'd probably fail to pick a single player using the pre-TV deal transfer scale.

That's what media wants you to think. You have a lot of good strikers for 8-13 mil that could easily score 10-15 goals. It's just everyone is saying that we need ''proven PL''. We don't. ''Proven PL'' striker will only cost more money than any other and probably won't score as many goals as we want. At this point we are in a situation where our scouting system is terrible. You can easily do the research too and find striker that will score 10-15 goals and cost less than Deeney.

That's what media wants you to think. You have a lot of good strikers for 8-13 mil that could easily score 10-15 goals. It's just everyone is saying that we need ''proven PL''. We don't. ''Proven PL'' striker will only cost more money than any other and probably won't score as many goals as we want. At this point we are in a situation where our scouting system is terrible. You can easily do the research too and find striker that will score 10-15 goals and cost less than Deeney.

Well you need proven PL strikers because we are playing in the PL. Anything else would be a risk at this stage, and we aren't in a position to gamble.

I bet you're mint in Career Mode on FIFA ?

Well you need proven PL strikers because we are playing in the PL. Anything else would be a risk at this stage, and we aren't in a position to gamble.

No, you don't. That's my point. All proven PL striker are playing in PL, right? So, we are buying not needed strikers, so that means that they aren't worthy of playing in PL. Do you understand? No one will sell you their primary striker, everyone sells their 3rd of 4th striker, which isn't good for us.

I bet you're mint in Career Mode on FIFA ?

I don't play FIFA, just FM.  :lol: