Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dont even know why our transfer record is such an issue now.  I remember back in the day when our record was John Trewick for 250k in what seemed ages until we paid around £400k for Paul Goddard.

Then again, 12 years and for Ashley not to trump it is just final proof as to reasons why any eventual new owner is progression. 

Immediately discounted that rumour when it stated we had out-bid someone.

I mean it's not like we haven't done it in the past, we just don't outbid teams with decent amounts of money :lol: but PL clubs have more money than most European teams.

Outbidding Lazio wouldn't exactly be surprising, although considering the source i wouldn't exactly get too excited just yet.

Virtually everyone else in the league has set their transfer record within the last 2 years, the furthest back being Torres at £50m in 2011. Ours stands from 2005. :lol:

Yeah, even when you actually splashed the cash, in the relegation season, it was spread around a bunch of mediocre players because DEALSSSSSSS.

Virtually everyone else in the league has set their transfer record within the last 2 years, the furthest back being Torres at £50m in 2011. Ours stands from 2005. :lol:

Yeah, even when you actually splashed the cash, in the relegation season, it was spread around a bunch of mediocre players because DEALSSSSSSS.

We need a balance. Sure, get as many deals as we can to bulk out the squad, and maybe the odd gem. But when it comes to making sure we have a certain level of quality in every position, you've got to be prepared to bite the bullet.

More than anything, I think there needs to be a plan in place. Many times it seemed that Penfold et al just went for whatever player they managed to find at a cut price, ending up with a players that were decent on paper, or at least decent gambles, but the squad made little sense taken as a whole. The relegation season was exasperating on that regard.

Now, if there's anything Rafa has in spades, is plans.

More than anything, I think there needs to be a plan in place. Many times it seemed that Penfold et al just went for whatever player they managed to find at a cut price, ending up with a players that were decent on paper, or at least decent gambles, but the squad made little sense taken as a whole. The relegation season was exasperating on that regard.

Now, if there's anything Rafa has in spades, is plans.

Our plan before seemed to be Graham Carr loading the latest Football Manager and sending Graham Carr on a scouting mission across Europe for players whose contracts expire in the next 2 years.

I know it's a ball ache waiting for signings, but it's probably worth mentioning that we didn't start doing business until the players had returned for pre-season last season (and the season before that).

We had Perez, Colback and De Jong in before the players returned in 2014 and 2013 was pretty quiet all round after our January splurge.

Personal opinion is that Ashley just doesn't want to pay wages for no obvious return, but it could just be that things are generally slow going across the board until July hits.

Guest reefatoon

It seems very quiet on the Number 10 front mind. No real names cropped up for that position, and it's a position we are in need for.

I know it's a ball ache waiting for signings, but it's probably worth mentioning that we didn't start doing business until the players had returned for pre-season last season (and the season before that).

We had Perez, Colback and De Jong in before the players returned in 2014 and 2013 was pretty quiet all round after our January splurge.

Personal opinion is that Ashley just doesn't want to pay wages for no obvious return, but it could just be that things are generally slow going across the board until July hits.

It's definitely slow across the board tbh, look at most teams in the league and most of them are really quiet. It's just that we need signfiicant investment and we have a history of completely incompetent transfer windows.

By the same news outlet that said we were interested in Samaris and Semedo.

I think someone is telling porkies. It's either O jogo or it's Benfica/Sporting trying to get higher prices for their players.

By the same news outlet that said we were interested in Samaris and Semedo.

I think someone is telling porkies. It's either O jogo or it's Benfica/Sporting trying to get higher prices for their players.

So they use a club renowned for spending huge on fees and wages to up their prices of course.

It seems very quiet on the Number 10 front mind. No real names cropped up for that position, and it's a position we are in need for.

Worrying indeed. More important than a striker imo.

We'll struggle to create chances in the PL with what we have, struggle badly.