Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I said in the relegationometer thread, we practically need a new team. Only players worth holding on to that we currently have imo are Merino, Yedlin, Lascelles and Murphy.

I really don't think it's that bad. 3 players of quality would transform the team IMO. Everyone looks 50% worse at the moment because of form.

Obviously we need much better players longer-term, but that's a different issue.

Aye just a few key players can transform a team.  I think we need at least three of those players, ideally four.  That could improve the side so much and the others would improve around them.

I said in the relegationometer thread, we practically need a new team. Only players worth holding on to that we currently have imo are Merino, Yedlin, Lascelles and Murphy.

I really don't think it's that bad. 3 players of quality would transform the team IMO. Everyone looks 50% worse at the moment because of form.

Obviously we need much better players longer-term, but that's a different issue.

Meant longer term if we stay up, didn't communicate that well.

In January I'd be delighted with Batshuayi on loan, a LB, and a CM that can screen and protect the defence instead of letting runners past him, and can play a bit of football when he needs to. A GK is an absolute must as well.

We need a bit of surgery basically. Last night opened my eyes to just how poor we are.

Fair :thup:

If the aim is to challenge for a top six spot the players I would say are good enough to be part of the 20-25 players that make up the first team squad are Yedlin, Lascelles, Merino, Shelvey, Atsu and Ritchie. So yeah, just the 15 players needed over the next couple of years, assuming there's money to spend.

Obviously not really feasible to do all that in a window or two so I could see us keeping hold of Clark, Gayle and maybe one or two others for a while more while we address the more urgent needs in the squad. Hopefully the likes of Lejeune and Murphy will be a pleasant surprise and show themselves to be worth holding on to.

I would say the most urgent areas in need of address are

- Attacking midfielder.

- Striker.

- Left Back

- Goalkeeper

Those four spots have to be addressed in January, we simply don't have anything approaching PL quality in those spots and it's killing us.

We do need a new team as they're almost to the player complete and utter shite. Unfortunately the majority of players that are (!) going to get us out of this mess were on the pitch last night.

We've got 6 players in there that are at least good enough for this league IMO but they need to have a few players of a higher standard around them to make a decent team.  Unfortunately the majority of the rest aren't of a higher standard, they're worse and not even good enough for the league for the most part.

Shelvey good enough for the top 6.  I've heard it all now.

Jesus who said that?  Certain aspects of his game are, but other parts of his game are frankly shite.  I think he can still be a good player mind but he's missing too much to be in a top 6 side.

Gayle is good enough for the PL, just not as our only striker option.

He's ok he will get a goal now and then. But championship is his level.

As much as I've had a go at Gayle in the past I think in a better side he's good enough.  He just isn't the striker that can drag us up despite a lot of the other shite around him.

Gayle is good enough for the PL, just not as our only striker option.

He's ok he will get a goal now and then. But championship is his level.

As much as I've had a go at Gayle in the past I think in a better side he's good enough.  He just isn't the striker that can drag us up despite a lot of the other shite around him.

We have too many players that could be better in a better side

Guest neesy111

None of our players are good enough for the top 6 other than Lascelles and Merino.

Merino isn't at present.  His 

lack of tracking back is a massive liability.

As a first team player no but he'd be useful in a squad IMO. Decent option off the bench when chasing a game and could start at home against weaker sides.

Not sure anybody in our squad is good enough to be a starter but Shelvey is one of the few who has some actual ability and could be worth keeping around.

Guest neesy111

As a first team player no but he'd be useful in a squad IMO. Decent option off the bench when chasing a game and could start at home against weaker sides.

Not sure anybody in our squad is good enough to be a starter but Shelvey is one of the few who has some actual ability and could be worth keeping around.

It's not just about ability though.  The bloke doesn't have a brain as he's proven countless times across his career.

I think that's the case for all of our players tbh. Lascelles and Merino have been mentioned as our two outstanding players, but Merino has been sloppy in recent games, and Lascelles has barely established himself as a Premier league defender. Both of these would be great as squad members, but we shouldn't be relying on them. We need an injection of real quality and that will raise every other player's game as well.

I think that's the case for all of our players tbh. Lascelles and Merino have been mentioned as our two outstanding players, but Merino has been sloppy in recent games, and Lascelles has barely established himself as a Premier league defender. Both of these would be great as squad members, but we shouldn't be relying on them. We need an injection of real quality and that will raise every other player's game as well.

Yeah, I reckon if we had two players of genuine quality playing in last night's team instead of Diame and Gayle then all of a sudden a lot of our players would look a hell of a lot better.

Our creative players like Shelvey and Ritchie are getting a lot of stick recently but it's a bit of a thankless task trying to carve out chances for wasters like Perez and Joselu or trying to build good attacks with Gayle offering absolutely fuck all in terms of leading the line.

Shelvey's barely good enough for us, never mind the top 6.

His contribution for us this season has been nowhere near good enough. He is supposed to be our driving force in midfield and we have, mostly, failed miserably in that department.

He's been given the chance and he's wasted it. Maybe if we had built around him in the summer it would be a different story, but I think he has since proved he is too much of a risk going forward.

Get a complete monster in to protect the back for and make Merino the driving force. Shelvey and Hayden as back up will do until next season.