Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The tricky thing about Prem players being wary of us works the other way for the Championship. We're seen as the big fish, meaning Championship clubs know we have money and will try to rinse as much as possible for their best players. Which all means we will likely end up with f*** all or some flakey loan deals at the end of the window.

The days of NUFC being a top draw for players are well and truly over, at least for the foreseeable future.

Once KK got us promoted, lots of players wanted to join us and that continued throughout the 90s and a few years after because SBR eventually took over.

Once players saw what happened with KK after Ashley took over and then the shambles of relegation they began to be wary and we only wanted to sign players who were below a certain age or foreign...usually French.

We got lucky with Cabaye and at first, Tiote but when we failed to strengthen the squad properly after finishing 5th, we began to acquire the reputation of being cheapskates and unambitious...this has carried over to today's transfer window and top players - whether they be in the PL or Champ lge are not necessarily going to be in a rush to join us.

Our lack of success in the past few years is going to raise red flags with decent foreign players too and in my view we will not be a magnet for decent players until we get promoted...even with Rafa at the helm - unless we pay stupid fees.

If moderate players like Cleverley want to sign for the likes of Watford above us, it highlights the problem we face.

We may make a signing or two, we may not, but Knockaert staying at Brighton is no surprise really. They have at least as good a chance of promotion, are playing better and he doesn't have to move.

Players go to the team who pays them the most money. A club's stature and other characteristics, like the manager or division, are relevant factors of course, but money's the kicker. There's nothing to get depressed about, it's just the state of the game. We're not one of the mega-rich Champions League elite, like 99.9999999% of all other football clubs on the planet, that's all.

I'm sure our lack of signings so far is a decision made on our terms.

We can't just make signings because we want to. The club needs to sell and the player needs to want to go. Often either or both will not happen this month and those who do are simply not good enough.

It always surprises me how people forget this every year.

Downing is apparently wanted on loan by Allardyce for Palace but he's reluctant to leave home. It does sound like he'd be a decent short term signing for us given he's left footed and even without pace, has to be a better option than Gouffran.

If you look back to January 2010, the signings we made were extremely easy in the grand scheme of things.

There was an obvious hole at right-mid; Routledge was a good Championship player and was always gonna be happy to leave QPR to come here. Easy peasy and made a huge difference.

We needed cover at centre back; Williamson was proven at a lower level and never going to play at Portsmouth. He'd have probably accepted any transfer and was cheap. Again, easy transfer and made a good impact on the squad.

Best was a strange choice but again, we hardly had to move the Earth to bring him here. The rest were free agents and loans, signed purely because the squad wasn't very big and we needed backup to the backup.

Completely, completely different this time. I've mentioned this more than once this season but I still feel that some people are basing their expectations for the season on our last Championship campaign. And whilst there are certain similarities, it's really actually chalk and cheese. The club is in a different type of place, the squad is a different type of squad (I.e completely new), it's a very different sort of manager and the whole landscape of the game (and the disparity between the top two leagues) is a different kettle of fish to 2010.

We can't just make signings because we want to. The club needs to sell and the player needs to want to go. Often either or both will not happen this month and those who do are simply not good enough.

It always surprises me how people forget this every year.

Nobody forgets it, it's just a completely irrelevant point. If we want to sign a LM and a CM we absolutely can. It's the job of the scouts and Charnley to find ones who fit our requirements and who "the club [is willing] to sell and the player [wants] to go". People go on like there's half a dozen players available every window, and not like an entire world out there.

If during an entire transfer window we cannot find a CM and LM we could sign better than Colback and Gouffran we may as well just liquidate the club.

What if they are aiming higher than replacing those two? Surely we shouldn't just except shite to slightly less shite?

If during an entire transfer window we cannot find a CM and LM we could sign better than Colback and Gouffran we may as well just liquidate the club.

What if they are aiming higher than replacing those two? Surely we shouldn't just except s**** to slightly less s****?

The danger though is that we come out of the window with those two still starting for us because we aim for too high rather than better than we have. If those two remain our first choices I honestly don't think we will make the automatic positions, it's critical to me that the least we do is to ensure that Colback doesn't start another game for us this season, the bloke is costing us points at the minute.

What if they are aiming higher than replacing those two? Surely we shouldn't just except s**** to slightly less s****?

The danger though is that we come out of the window with those two still starting for us because we aim for too high rather than better than we have. If those two remain our first choices I honestly don't think we will make the automatic positions, it's critical to me that the least we do is to ensure that Colback doesn't start another game for us this season, the bloke is costing us points at the minute.

:thup: we need to bring people in imo. Our squad has looked suspect the last month and although we still should have enough to get promoted comfortably I cannot see any point in risking it for the sake of £10-15m (and wages).

If we cannot get anyone in on loan or any 'star' players we're happy with for the future then just sign another Murphy, Gamez or Hanley who are here to boost the squad for the rest of the Championship season and then either be sold on or remain in reserve in the Premiership for a year or so. I know those players look like bad examples as they haven't had much game time, but we're so short in the centre, and Hanley and Gamez atleast looked like potential first teamers at the time. LW I think we need someone really decent like.

It's not that bad like. We need signings in those positions but more than likely we'll go up even if we sign no one.

His loss if he would rather join a no Mark club like Watford.  Shows he has no ambition apart from retaining his status as a epl player...who can't get a game in the EPL.

/cringe

Not sure how this is "cringe". I've just googled Watford FC and it's true - there are NO MARKS in the squad. Closest is rene GilMARtin, Adrian MARiappa,  Honourable mentions to Nordin AMRAbat and Valon BenRAMi for trying.

Never been a fan of Downing, but I seem to remember him doing well at some point. Never impressed me for england, but by that point I wasn't impressed with England.

If Rafa was to consider him capable of contributing to our promotion, then I'd happily welcome him on loan. With a priority placed on filling that position in the summer.

My attitude is the same towards replacing Colback.

I'd love it if we got 2 players who are primed for the Premiership, but I'd hate it if we got the next Ben Arfa and some nugget lump of a Championship centre half put him out for 16 months.

His loss if he would rather join a no Mark club like Watford.  Shows he has no ambition apart from retaining his status as a epl player...who can't get a game in the EPL.

/cringe

Not sure how this is "cringe". I've just googled Watford FC and it's true - there are NO MARKS in the squad. Closest is rene GilMARtin, Adrian MARiappa,  Honourable mentions to Nordin AMRAbat and Valon BenRAMi for trying.

:lol: found this disproportionately funny.

/cringe

:lol: found this disproportionately funny.

:lol: It's excellent.

If the criteria was simply "be a better player than Colback or Gouffran" Thauvin and Saivet would still be here.

Truth be told, we would be stronger if they were. Thauvin has 10 times the quality of Gouf and I'm not sure what Saivet did to piss Rafa off but I would pick him in the side 10 times out of 10 ahead of the local lad.

Obviously Thauvin didn't want to be here but Saivet could have offered us something more than what we have in there right now, I'm sure of that.

If the criteria was simply "be a better player than Colback or Gouffran" Thauvin and Saivet would still be here.

Truth be told, we would be stronger if they were. Thauvin has 10 times the quality of Gouf and I'm not sure what Saivet did to piss Rafa off but I would pick him in the side 10 times out of 10 ahead of the local lad.

Obviously Thauvin didn't want to be here but Saivet could have offered us something more than what we have in there right now, I'm sure of that.

If it was just about ability then Gouffran would never be starting ahead of Atsu never mind Thauvin. Rafa is clearly a manager who puts a lot of stock by hard work and positional discipline, that's the only reason I can guess that Gouff gets the nod week in week out. All the skill in the world is no use if you are going to act like a fanny a la Thauvin during his time here.