Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

has it been covered in any detail how many signings we've made before july since we came back up last time for instance?  really doesn't feel like it'll be many and atsu had to be bought due to the fixed fee iirc

2010: 0

2011: 3 (Ba, Cabaye, Marveaux)

2012: 1 (Amalfitano)

2013: 0

2014: 2 (Colback, Perez)

2015: 0

2016: 1 (Sels)

2017: 1 (Atsu)

:thup:

of them colback & marv were free transfers aye, marv in particular signed to get him ahead of other interest iirc - was amalfitano free as well?

that being the case it's 4-5 over 7 years then :lol:

has it been covered in any detail how many signings we've made before july since we came back up last time for instance?  really doesn't feel like it'll be many and atsu had to be bought due to the fixed fee iirc

2012: 0

Quickly taken from NUFC.com / Wiki.

2012: 0

:thup:

of them colback & marv were free transfers aye, marv in particular signed to get him ahead of other interest iirc - was amalfitano free as well?

that being the case it's 4-5 over 7 years then :lol:

Updated, as Amalfitano didn't officially join until July 1st (despite .com having him listed in May).

We average less than 1 per year by July, basically.

Ba, Colback and Marveaux were freebies. Cabaye and Atsu were clauses.

Perez and Sels the only ones that were pure transfer deals, which I assume were done quickly due to competition from other clubs (and in Sels' case because pre-season training had begun due to Championship season starting sooner).

It's massively tedious all this waiting around, but hopefully it means we're in for a busy July again!

I mean we'll probably still sign players, like everyone else will as most teams have been quite so far. Issue is our owner is and the history of ineptitude that surrounds the football club.

So i don't really blame people for getting concerned over this.

Well you would chill if you ignored the fact that in nearly every one of those seasons we have been shocking, fighting at the wrong end of the table, and eventually going down.

I can't remember a premier league season under Ashley when i'v thought we were ready come the first game. Obviously with Benitez as manager it helps a great deal and subsides any panic to a degree, but posting a list of the lack of activity around now is just posting a list of examples of the club not learning their lesson imo.

Our most successful year was the one where we signed the 3 players there before July. No coincidence me thinks.

Well they are also two of the best players we've had in the Ashley era, think that means more than them being signed early.

Our most successful year was the one where we signed the 3 players there before July. No coincidence me thinks.

It is though. Ba didn't hit the ground running at all, Cabaye benefitted although he had to go to Holland with the kids because he couldn't get into the USA, and Marveaux wasn't in the team.

Rich and Hughesy posted something earlier about Statsbomb, :thup: great site. Had a look at this

http://statsbomb.com/2017/06/passing-percentages-are-mostly-useless-quantifying-passing-ability/

Gives a good explanation why pass completion rate is a nonsense number. Uses a more sophisticated analysis and mentions in passing that Cairney is one of the best passing midfielders in England. Splash the cash Ash!