Dwight Gayle (now playing for Hibernian)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

657 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

This poll is closed to new votes

Doesn't seem unreasonable to judge Mitrovic's usefulness on his performances when given a chance between now and the end of the season. He has done well at times but also badly at others. I would like to see him given a shot alongside Gayle at some point but know that will not be practical in premier league possibly.

I think he'll want to go for first team football soon. He could play at a higher level than this abroad and be a regular, playing in Europe. Next season I think we'll see Gayle, and a new signing.

if rafa's history in the transfer market has shown us anything it's that he values a top quality striker very highly to lead his line, which makes sense in the system he plays, so i think that'll be one of his major targets this summer with gayle to be backup/rotation for that striker if he manages to get one

as much as i like gayle he's not going to threaten 20 in the PL imo and that's the type of striker rafa will be looking for

I agree Rafa will be gunning for a real pedigree striker next season, but those aren't easy to find. Just ask Sooper Al. He might well go for a really highly rated striker from abroad but unproven in the prem. We'll still have Gayle there to fight for the spot though, and I wouldn't put it past him to do the business once he gets his chance. It'll take a good striker to keep him out of the team, that's for sure.

if rafa's history in the transfer market has shown us anything it's that he values a top quality striker very highly to lead his line, which makes sense in the system he plays, so i think that'll be one of his major targets this summer with gayle to be backup/rotation for that striker if he manages to get one

as much as i like gayle he's not going to threaten 20 in the PL imo and that's the type of striker rafa will be looking for

I agree Rafa will be gunning for a real pedigree striker next season, but those aren't easy to find. Just ask Sooper Al. He might well go for a really highly rated striker from abroad but unproven in the prem. We'll still have Gayle there to fight for the spot though, and I wouldn't put it past him to do the business once he gets his chance. It'll take a good striker to keep him out of the team, that's for sure.

that's absolutely who we'll get imo yeah - i think he'll be aiming very high as well, rafa won't be settling for staying up i don't think

Without following Gayle's career at all before he joined us, has he ever had a decent run of games in the PL?

No. His background is similar to Vardy's, came up through the non-leagues before Peterborough took a punt on him IIRC, then Palace signed him.

I want Lacazette :lol:

hard to tell if that's a dig or not but if we're willing to spend big then there's no reason we can't get a top quality striker imo

It's not a dig, I agree with you. Don't think we'll be able to land him, he'll have plenty of Champions League clubs after him, but he would be an absolute dream and would fit so well into Rafas system.

Guest Howaythetoon

Great movement and clinical finishing. He's proving a snip like and although I'm not sold on his all-round game, he'll get goals for us in the Premier League. I'd still like someone alongside him though because he often cuts an isolated figure up top for us and that will be exacerbated even more as a PL side. He could well reach 20 goals by Xmas, outstanding stuff.

I want Lacazette :lol:

hard to tell if that's a dig or not but if we're willing to spend big then there's no reason we can't get a top quality striker imo

It's not a dig, I agree with you. Don't think we'll be able to land him, he'll have plenty of Champions League clubs after him, but he would be an absolute dream and would fit so well into Rafas system.

:thup: i said i thought we'd be in for him a while back and got laughed at...agree with you i think it'd be virtually impossible but i suspect rafa might try if they back him with the cash

4 goals and 5 assists in 13(2) from LW in the league.

Imagine the jump in terms of an upgrade if we went from Gouffran to him in that position. :megusta:

Without following Gayle's career at all before he joined us, has he ever had a decent run of games in the PL?

Just looked at his time in the prem cos i enjoy a quick stat browse. He was often played out of position or barely got any time looking at it, let alone getting a run of games.

Based on http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dwight-gayle/leistungsdaten/spieler/196522/plus/0?saison=2013

Played CF or second striker for atleast 45 mins in the prem 20 times, got 11 goals. Most of those games isolated and for example in four he literally just got 45 mins. If you include cup games it becomes something like 21 goals from 25 games where he played more than one half.

The vast majority he was played either on the wing or for less than a half hour. He was managed by Neil Warnock & Alan Pardew  :mysterysolved: