Matt Ritchie: Released (Official)

Fenham Mag

I don't dislike Ritchie (although his form is frustrating me atm), and I wouldn't sell him in January, but I just don't really think he has the pace for the top flight long term.

He's a winger who can't dribble with the ball and doesn't stretch teams with his pace off it, that's a major problem in this league in this day and age IMO. Even if he had the best crossing and shooting technique in the world (he doesn't, although he's not bad) it would still be a problem.

There's a long line of one-paced midfield and wide players who have starred in the Championship over the years, racking up big numbers of goals and assists. I've said on here before that above average technical ability goes a long way in that league. Peter Wittingham having a 20 goal season springs to mind as a notable example.

His form isnt the best right now, but selling him would be mad. He is very useful, even when out of form offensively he's still working hard and harrasing the opposition.

If we are taken over and money is spent in the summer I'd still want him as a squad player. He works so hard and has a top attitude. He has quality at this level and playing in a better side would help see more from him.

Didn’t we have this exact discussion around the same time last year when his form massively nosedived?

Yes he was horrific for a while after a great start then found an even better level at the end of the window.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I think he's struggled this season, he's a quality championship player but a mediocre premier league player

Selling him would be stupid. We need to be building a squad. We should keep him and look to bring in more wingers in the summer. To have Ritchie as back up/ fighting for a starting 11 position would be great.

Also he compliments Yedlin well. People keep mentioning pace, but he allows Yedlin to overlap and offers a more solid foundation defensively in front of Yedlin. How many times have we seen Yedlin overlap and get a good cut back in this season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Its not his lack of pace that makes him an average player, despite what some would have you believe, you don't have to be quick to succeed in the PL. Its the way he slows the game down from an attacking sense. He cannot carry the ball because he doesn't have the ball carrying skills so he's constantly checking himself looking for a safe pass and it effects our game going forward. He doesn't have a good range of passing either. Defensively he's fine, works hard, has a good attitude and takes a good set piece. He can be effective in tight games, but going forward the likes of Atsu and Murphy give us much much more just with their ball carrying skills, pace and ability to play on the cuff of the game.

Its not his lack of pace that makes him an average player, despite what some would have you believe, you don't have to be quick to succeed in the PL. Its the way he slows the game down from an attacking sense. He cannot carry the ball because he doesn't have the ball carrying skills so he's constantly checking himself looking for a safe pass and it effects our game going forward. He doesn't have a good range of passing either. Defensively he's fine, works hard, has a good attitude and takes a good set piece. He can be effective in tight games, but going forward the likes of Atsu and Murphy give us much much more just with their ball carrying skills, pace and ability to play on the cuff of the game.

Well he can't carry the ball because of his lack of pace like

Guest Howaythetoon

Well he can't carry the ball because of his lack of pace like

Its not down to pace, its down to ball control. Jonas had no pace but could carry the ball. Robert Lee could for us as well.

Its not his lack of pace that makes him an average player, despite what some would have you believe, you don't have to be quick to succeed in the PL. Its the way he slows the game down from an attacking sense. He cannot carry the ball because he doesn't have the ball carrying skills so he's constantly checking himself looking for a safe pass and it effects our game going forward.

Obertan was exactly like that and it was always infuriating to watch. A player with that much pace at his disposal and 99/100 he'd pussy out of taking the man on and just end up dropping the ball back to Danny Simpson in our half.

Guest Howaythetoon

Its not his lack of pace that makes him an average player, despite what some would have you believe, you don't have to be quick to succeed in the PL. Its the way he slows the game down from an attacking sense. He cannot carry the ball because he doesn't have the ball carrying skills so he's constantly checking himself looking for a safe pass and it effects our game going forward.

Obertan was exactly like that and it was always infuriating to watch. A player with that much pace at his disposal and 99/100 he'd pussy out of taking the man on and just end up dropping the ball back to Danny Simpson in our half.

He had pace but zero ball control so when he did run with the ball he looked like a headless chicken.

One thing I don't get is, why doesn't he cross the ball earlier instead of constantly cutting back? You don't need pace for that, just got to look at Albrighton's crossing, and Beckham's for that matter.

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing I don't get is, why doesn't he cross the ball earlier instead of constantly cutting back? You don't need pace for that, just got to look at Albrighton's crossing, and Beckham's for that matter.

Lack of confidence? Maybe Rafa has instructed him not to? Its frustrating like and doesn't help our attack at all. Gayle was furious with him a few matches back IIRC.

He's a solid player, definitely one to keep in the squad. The lad needs to be rested for a few games. He's looked totally shot for the last month.

When he's bright he can be the difference in some games.

If we get a decent offer maybe Rafa would listen to offers but even if we sold him for a profit, what would that bring in?

Guest firetotheworks

Lack of confidence? Maybe Rafa has instructed him not to? Its frustrating like and doesn't help our attack at all. Gayle was furious with him a few matches back IIRC.

He's a left footed player that predominantly plays on the right. Of course he cuts in. I'm sure Beckham would get it onto his right if he was played on the left, and Albrighton does exactly that at all times.

FWIW, I have no problem with Ritchie, he's in poor form at the moment, that's really obvious, but at a basic level he gives you a certain amount of tenacity and desire to get involved that you wouldn't get with other players. When he's back in form he'll be fine.

He's a left footed player that predominantly plays on the right. Of course he cuts in. I'm sure Beckham would get it onto his right if he was played on the left, and Albrighton does exactly that at all times.

FWIW, I have no problem with Ritchie, he's in poor form at the moment, that's really obvious, but at a basic level he gives you a certain amount of tenacity and desire to get involved that you wouldn't get with other players. When he's back in form he'll be fine.

Been "out of form" for absolutely ages mind

Guest firetotheworks

Only a couple of months. Compare that to Perez.

Only a couple of months. Compare that to Perez.

Aye but I wouldn't say Perez is out of form. He's just not very good, in the position he's played in for the last two and a half seasons anyway

• 2 weeks later...

So bad.  I know he's not blessed with pace, but he seems to have gotten even slower.  He doesn't run around like a loon and track back as much as he did last season.  Even his set pieces, which are such an asset, seem to have gone to shit. 

Basically, from open play, he has been ineffectual for nigh on the entire season.  Consistently gets in the team, but IMO, has probably been our worst first team regular.  I know he has got some important assists from corners and free kicks.  But along with a lot of other players in this squad, he just isn't good enough. 

I hate the way he slows down every single attack. The opposition have time for a cuppa and a biscuit before they stroll back into position and our attack comes to nowt.

Needs dropping for Murphy asap.