Matt Ritchie: Released (Official)

Fenham Mag

That free kick on the edge of the box where he just hopelessly floated it to nobody was a piss take.

agreed, so frustrating. He needs to be burying those, it was a perfect position for him. I've watched him practice shots from that exact location before games, so he should fancy himself from there

He's got our most assists this season hasn't he? Waste of a shirt is a bit dramatic to say the least. He's not fantastic at this level by any stretch of the imagination but Howay.

Hasn't got one in ten games

He’s just not contributed anything tangible in recent memory. The Ayoze one wasn’t on him obviously but he’s cracking post, over hitting or under hitting set pieces and is currently keeping in form Jacob Murphy out the team if Gayle or Joselu starts. Just hard to stomach that.

Guest neesy111

I just think we'll be able to unlock space and counter much more effectively with Murphy in the side.  Ritchie's play is quite predictable which I think makes it easier for teams to defend against.

I just think we'll be able to unlock space and counter much more effectively with Murphy in the side.  Ritchie's play is quite predictable which I think makes it easier for teams to defend against.

I agree with this mind.

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye.

Guest neesy111

Neither are good enough going forward mind if we get taken over.  Would like Murphy to go out on loan if we can do that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Neither are good enough going forward mind if we get taken over.  Would like Murphy to go out on loan if we can do that.

Aye same here. I like him mind, he is a threat.

Guest neesy111

He has potential, decision making needs to be better which will come.

Guest Howaythetoon

He has potential, decision making needs to be better which will come.

Again it’s because of his age, lack of experience, that he’s a winger and really needs a long run in the side. I genuinely think he was bought for the long-term, Rafa happy with that thinking there is money for the first-team. Otherwise I do t think he’d have signed him at all. I’d like to see him start wide right every match because he is better than Ritchie IMO and the side badly needs someone who has pace and balls carrying threat down that side.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ritchie btw, would he make a decent right-back/full-back? Wouldn’t mind seeing it tried out. A poor man’s Milner for Liverpool at full-back perhaps...

Guest Howaythetoon

Ritchie btw, would he make a decent right-back/full-back? Wouldn’t mind seeing it tried out. A poor man’s Milner for Liverpool at full-back perhaps...

He was abysmal against Chelsea playing as a left wing back so probably not.

Ha ha forgot about that tragedy.

Yesterday, Ritchie was responsible for the best move of the match, where he found Perez running off the shoulder with a lofted through ball. Whilst his numbers may have took a hit in recent months, I still think he contributes enough good moments in games to warrant being in the team, particularly a team whose only aim is to stay in the league. That said, I think Murphy has been really impressive lately, I love his ability to turn out of danger in tight spaces and put us on the front foot in games, so I can absolutely understand people wanting Murphy in the team over him. But I still feel a lot of this Ritchie criticism is a bit dramatic, we're struggling as a team at the moment so singling out one player as being responsible for making us a less potent attacking outfit is a bit simplistic, in my opinion.

I'm worried that Murphy might not produce under the pressure of a relegation fight. Ritchie has his faults, but he has a good temperament usually, I think Rafa sticks with him for that as much as anything else.

Guest neesy111

I'm worried that Murphy might not produce under the pressure of a relegation fight. Ritchie has his faults, but he has a good temperament usually, I think Rafa sticks with him for that as much as anything else.

I can see that point of view against the top teams but Vs Swansea I think we need to be a little bit more expansive in our approach.

• 4 weeks later...