Newcastle United 4 - 1 Reading - 17/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 38

Disco

Just back.decent if not spectacular display, still lots to work on but some nuch needed confidence in and off the pitch was gained.

The big plus was Ritchie and Shelvey, obvious quality and Hayden sat well and also broke into space a few times, great to see.

The defence is dodgy as hell, Goofy was a passenger, Perez again looks lost , Dummett was very very slightly better than Saturday, Anita is better at fullback, Sels cant kick,Gayle worked hard all night.

Take that, steady the nerves but by far from convincing at times.

We played tonight like we should have on Saturday. Reading were not as good as Huddersfield but we pressed so well in the 1st half and their passing it out from the back was pretty poor. Thought that was Shelvey's best game for ages and I still think he was nowhere near his best. Ritchie was superb (except one terrible pass) and Hayden was really impressive. Mbemba was really good too. Ayoze did some lovely stuff but some easy control let him down but glad to see him playing better. Gouff didn't do too much but I thought what he did do was efficient and provided some nice balance.

A worry from tonight (other than conceding just before HT again) is that Mikel Antia absolutely barks out loads of instructions  before every defending corner and it all looks an absolute mess because players seem to not know what their job is and it all seems a bit panic stations. We didn't defend corners very well at all until about 70 minutes when we finally managed to clear our lines from them

I think that might just be down to new players every week getting used to the way Rafa works. From what I saw of his work at Liverpool Benitez will implement his methods right down the levels so I would expect that every member of the squad will be able to step in and do a job once they have adjusted.

I knew it was handball from my position so was surprised that neither the linesman or the ref gave it. I don't think it's right that they only changed their mind because of the protests of the keeper, it was like Joe Hart when he managed to change the mind of the ref when Tiote scored a screamer a few years ago. Guess they got the right decision in the end but whatever

Think I'm still bitter about Hasselbaink and Morten Gamst Pedersen scoring handball goals against us in the last decade or so

So I believe this would be a good end of the weekend for you all.

Yes, thank you Jo. Though now I'm jealous of long Portuguese weekends so I'm off to listen to some Fado and depress myself again  ;)

Long portuguese weekends? Only 2 days.

About Fado, I could use some too. I got really happy with our EURO win, but now I'm depressing like hell since we couldn't get an Olympic medal in football.

O0 Win first major international trophy and then depressed about Olympics... It's a good job you're not an England/Newcastle fan you may not have made it through the Summer!

We played tonight like we should have on Saturday. Reading were not as good as Huddersfield but we pressed so well in the 1st half and their passing it out from the back was pretty poor. Thought that was Shelvey's best game for ages and I still think he was nowhere near his best. Ritchie was superb (except one terrible pass) and Hayden was really impressive. Mbemba was really good too. Ayoze did some lovely stuff but some easy control let him down but glad to see him playing better. Gouff didn't do too much but I thought what he did do was efficient and provided some nice balance.

A worry from tonight (other than conceding just before HT again) is that Mikel Antia absolutely barks out loads of instructions  before every defending corner and it all looks an absolute mess because players seem to not know what their job is and it all seems a bit panic stations. We didn't defend corners very well at all until about 70 minutes when we finally managed to clear our lines from them

I think that might just be down to new players every week getting used to the way Rafa works. From what I saw of his work at Liverpool Benitez will implement his methods right down the levels so I would expect that every member of the squad will be able to step in and do a job once they have adjusted.

Surely they should all know their jobs before the game though and where they are meant to stand and/or which player to mark though?

This was before any subs had been made so there shouldn't have been any confusion

Surely they should all know their jobs before the game though and where they are meant to stand and/or which player to mark though?

This was before any subs had been made so there shouldn't have been any confusion

If there's one thing I'm supremely confident in Rafa sorting out it's defending set pieces. He won't stand for any nonsense here and it's a very coachable thing. We just need to survive them until it's drilled into the players.

“I know we can do much better, how much? That’s difficult to quantify, but I am sure we will improve.

“We’ll have bad games but I know that we will get better. Players could leave and players will come in before the end of the transfer window.

“So it’s quite complicated to keep everybody focused. But we’ll get offers and some may go.

“At the moment it’s not easy for players to focus when they could leave, but we saw that against Reading.”

“We have to play well and show that character. It’s always important to get results, the way you get helps you grow in the future.

“If you do well we have more possibilities to win games.

“We could be saying the same about Fulham or Huddersfield , we made one mistake at Fulham and two against Huddersfield.

“We made another against Reading and we conceded a goal but scored four.

“In the end, what matters is winning.”

Rafa's big on rotation. It might take a few games for players to adjust.

Think I'm still bitter about Hasselbaink and Morten Gamst Pedersen scoring handball goals against us in the last decade or so

Swear fucking Pedersen did it twice too. Forrins, man, they don't follow the rules. :rant:

Edit: Maybe the other one was Gallagher. Forrin.

Swear f***ing Pedersen did it twice too. Forrins, man, they don't follow the rules. :rant:

I thought he did it twice too or that shit striker they had called  Paul Gallagher or something doing it one year

Swear f***ing Pedersen did it twice too. Forrins, man, they don't follow the rules. :rant:

I thought he did it twice too or that shit striker they had called  Paul Gallagher or something doing it one year

:lol: Shit hot on that like.