Newcastle United 4 - 1 Reading - 17/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 38

Disco

Few things. Clark was gash, Mbemba was decent. Anita is a better RB than Janmaat, we found that out last season. Hayden was excellent. Gayle, Gouffran and Richie ran their knackers off and deserve credit.

Needed the goals to brush off some cobwebs, confidence still an issue. Hanley or Lascelles in for Clark at the weekend and Diame for Perez, if he's fit.

Better but some way to go.

He's not like

He is like. Defensively anyway. Not a big statement though, Janmaat is dire positionally. 

Giveover man

Few things. Clark was gash, Mbemba was decent. Anita is a better RB than Janmaat, we found that out last season. Hayden was excellent. Gayle, Gouffran and Richie ran their knackers off and deserve credit.

Needed the goals to brush off some cobwebs, confidence still an issue. Hanley or Lascelles in for Clark at the weekend and Diame for Perez, if he's fit.

Better but some way to go.

He's not like

He is like. Defensively anyway. Not a big statement though, Janmaat is dire positionally. 

Giveover man

Anita looked positionally dodgy in the build-up to the pen last night and was destroyed by their number 7 on a couple of occasions. Think they're both suspect defensively tbh.

One v One I agree, Anita doesn't get caught out of position anywhere near as often though. The team is just so much more balanced with Anita at RB because he picks his spots better and doesn't leave the CBs having to cover for him anywhere near as often.

Janmaat just imbalances the team with his horrible decision making and the results with him at RB compared to without speak for itself.

People can continue to hope it will get better but I have personally had enough and I'm hoping Rafa has too, his performances have been shite for months and the team usually plays better without him.

If that's Gamez or Anita I really don't care, I just hope he doesn't start as his performances don't deserve it.

One v One I agree, Anita doesn't get caught out of position anywhere near as often though. The team is just so much more balanced with Anita at RB because he picks his spots better and doesn't leave the CBs having to cover for him anywhere near as often.

Janmaat just imbalances the team with his horrible decision making and the results with him at RB compared to without speak for itself.

People can continue to hope it will get better but I have personally had enough and I'm hoping Rafa has too, his performances have been s**** for months and the team usually plays better without him.

If that's Gamez or Anita I really don't care, I just hope he doesn't start as his performances don't deserve it.

Agree give Gamez a go and not saying Jammaat doesn't have his faults as he does but he is a far superior option to Anita

I completely disagree like, end of last season we looked far more solid with anita there than we ever did with Janmaat, the amount of times he gets caught on the wrong side of his winger is beyond belief.

Guest neesy111

I completely disagree like, end of last season we looked far more solid with anita there than we ever did with Janmaat, the amount of times he gets caught on the wrong side of his winger is beyond belief.

This.

And I disagree with you - Anita got skinned a few times last night - he doesn't have the physical presence and offers very little in attack. In 3 games in midfield, right wing and right back he has not been very good as he is not a very good player

And I disagree with you - Anita got skinned a few times last night - he doesn't have the physical presence and offers very little in attack. In 3 games in midfield, right wing and right back he has not been very good as he is not a very good player

Janmaat is never in position to get skinned. Benitez found him out at the end of last season and preferred Anita there and has gone back to that again after giving him another shot at it against Fulham and Huddersfield.

Janmaat is never in position to get skinned. Benitez found him out at the end of last season and preferred Anita there and has gone back to that again after giving him another shot at it against Fulham and Huddersfield.

Before mouthing off what Rafa is going to do let's see who plays the most games in that position - Janmaat started off under Rafa, got an injury against Southampton and then returned to his position against Tottenham so get your facts right before you raise a point. 

That's the thing though...Janmaat has all the attributes to make a fabulous right back, when he arrived here and when him and Sissoko were making that right side their own, he was probably my favourite player. But then so many goals got conceded from his side and he was nowhere near, and to be completely honest looked like he didn't think it was part of his job remit to do any actual defending.

I was giving him a clean slate this season when it looked like he wanted to stay, but I just don't trust him to do the defending side of his job properly.

That's the thing though...Janmaat has all the attributes to make a fabulous right back, when he arrived here and when him and Sissoko were making that right side their own, he was probably my favourite player. But then so many goals got conceded from his side and he was nowhere near, and to be completely honest looked like he didn't think it was part of his job remit to do any actual defending.

I was giving him a clean slate this season when it looked like he wanted to stay, but I just don't trust him to do the defending side of his job properly.

Agree that Janmaat has his faults but he is still far superior than Anita in that position - me personally would like to see Gamez given a go.

Agree that Janmaat has his faults but he is still far superior than Anita in that position - me personally would like to see Gamez given a go.

Jaanmat's faults are pretty unforgivable for a defender though. Looking surprised when someone sneaks in for a header on the far post behind him. Over-elaborating on the ball high up the pitch then losing possession which means the centre backs have to go wide to cover like happened with Mbemba against Huddersfield and in turn left Lascelles exposed at the back.

Crowd: 48,209 including 550 travelling fans.

That means that a total of 100,288 fans have watched United's opening two home league games of the season - more than were at SJP a year ago for the first pair of games against Southampton and Arsenal (100,098).

:icon_salut:

N-O's picked up a canny collection of John Carver style posters over the last few months. Crumpy, Chris Babblingloony. tubestation and shintonsghost all make TCD sound positively logical. Can't wait for the worst poster awards this season.

Crumpy's been here ages like.

N-O's picked up a canny collection of John Carver style posters over the last few months. Crumpy, Chris Babblingloony. tubestation and shintonsghost all make TCD sound positively logical. Can't wait for the worst poster awards this season.

So have the other lot probably.

Jaanmat's faults are pretty unforgivable for a defender though. Looking surprised when someone sneaks in for a header on the far post behind him. Over-elaborating on the ball high up the pitch then losing possession which means the centre backs have to go wide to cover like happened with Mbemba against Huddersfield and in turn left Lascelles exposed at the back.

And Anita is left for dead and out of position also and his offensive play is virtually none existent - we both agree Janmaat is not the best but I'll argue blind with anyone he brings more to the table than Anita does. Personally as I said I would give Gamez a try in that position although preseason he was left for dead a few times also.

As has TCD who speaks more sense than most of the hysterical loonytoons on here

And Anita is left for dead and out of position also and his offensive play is virtually none existent - we both agree Janmaat is not the best but I'll argue blind with anyone he brings more to the table than Anita does. Personally as I said I would give Gamez a try in that position although preseason he was left for dead a few times also.

Anita's last 6 games at RB last season:

Villa: Clean sheet

Palace: Clean sheet

Liverpool: Assists the first & crosses it in the for second

Man City: Scores the equaliser

Swansea: Clean sheet

Southampton: Assists our goal

This week we conceded from a penalty and he was involved in putting Hayden through on goal & the 4th goal. Your takeaway from all this is he's woeful for this position then?

Anita's last 6 games at RB last season:

Villa: Clean sheet

Palace: Clean sheet

Liverpool: Assists the first & crosses it in the for second

Man City: Scores the equaliser

Swansea: Clean sheet

Southampton: Assists our goal

This week we conceded from a penalty and he was involved in putting Hayden through on goal & the 4th goal. Your takeaway from all this is he's woeful for this position then?

Yeah it is - I can name various clean sheets, assists and goals for Janmaat also and the best performance at right back under Rafa's spell in charge was Janmaat against Tottenham - entitled to your opinion as is everyone let's see who plays the most games there. Anita has started in 3 positions already because he has been shocking in midfield and right wing.

It was the first against Liverpool he crossed in and he wasn't involved at all in the 2nd goal; and are you really going to give him an assist for passing the ball 10 yards to Townsend from 45 yards out against Southampton. not once have I said Janmaat is great and I would personally give Gamez a go or get a new right back. As I said though I will argue all day with anyone who says Anita is better in that position than Janmaat. Unfortunately I don't think Janmaat is the answer either.