Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Farsley 2 up, so looking like curtains.

Boston still 0-0 at the other end.

Edit - Boston have literally just scored this second, so South Shields and Spennymoor look set to both miss out on the playoffs.

Edited by Paullow

9 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Boston 2 up, so probably the final nail for Shields, and then Spenny to a lesser extent.

I honestly think the National League North is the top natural level for North East clubs outside of the 3 main ones.

Hartlepool have done very well to stay as high as they have for so long, probably the closest we’ll get to the exception to the rule. The 3 main clubs are well supported, and I honestly think the support for the lower/non-league league clubs is very much secondary to those clubs. I can’t be that being sustainable, especially if we do end up competing at the very top level.

Shame about Spartans. Their goal difference suggests they were better than wherw they finished. Oddly, they seemed to have turned the corner after several years of barely surviving relegation; a malaise set in 3 months ago and they became listless and abject - a sure sign of problems off the pitch affecting performance.

14 minutes ago, TomYam said:

Shame about Spartans. Their goal difference suggests they were better than wherw they finished. Oddly, they seemed to have turned the corner after several years of barely surviving relegation; a malaise set in 3 months ago and they became listless and abject - a sure sign of problems off the pitch affecting performance.

They only won 4 out of the 21 league games in 2024. Losing 13. 

Conceded 46. Scored 27. 

they started the season very well. But then nose dived. 

similar to how we did (spenny) but we managed to eventually sort things out.  Won the last 9 home games on the bounce. 

I’m kind of pleased we missed out on playoffs. If we some how went up I think it would be a massive struggle atm. Hopefully next season we can push on from this last 3-4 months 

It'll be a bit better for Morpeth next season with Blyth, almost certainly Hebburn, and possibly Stockton or Dunston entering the league next season. Marske left the league half way through, and after that it's just Whitby at a push that you could consider local. In contrast there were 6 local sides in the league below this season, and that will hopefully remain the same next year with Bishop Auckland and the NL playoff winner replacing the one or two local sides that get promoted.

The more NL sides in the NPL the better in terms of crowds, less travelling (for our sides), and the feeling of a more progressive and boisterous local scene.

image.thumb.png.508c4b8c8a21e4017dbde968a4e6ec69.png

Any truth in the rumours Gateshead might not be allowed in the Play Offs?

Aldershot manager yesterday was saying they need to be prepared in case a team drops out of the Play Offs (Aldershot finished just outside) and Twitter is saying it's do with Gateshead and their stadium not being up to EFL standards.

3 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

Any truth in the rumours Gateshead might not be allowed in the Play Offs?

Aldershot manager yesterday was saying they need to be prepared in case a team drops out of the Play Offs (Aldershot finished just outside) and Twitter is saying it's do with Gateshead and their stadium not being up to EFL standards.

I'd be surprised at that like. What are Bromley, Altrincham and Solihull Moors facilities like in terms of Football League standard? Halifax & Barnet have been in the FL. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut