Queens Park Rangers 0 - 6 Newcastle United - Post :fwap: reaction from page 37

BlueStar

You're talking about the most supported club in Sweden though. If Newcastle 3pm away fixtures are easily accessible, attendances will be affected for Heed, Blyth, Shields et al.

People on Twitter were correctly noting that the Friday night football is another victory for the armchair football fan, removal of the blackout would be the killer blow.

I was talking about the league as a whole, not just my team (who has dropped in their attendances since moving to a new arena, and now hasn't got the highest attendances in the country any more).

Can also add that a vast majority of the match going fans that I know support at least one team in one of Europe's big leagues and follow them almost as much as their local team, so there is competition from the TV for all our games over here.

What if Gateshead away games were shown live on TV? I would bet anything that it'd drum up interest for them and make more people go to their games.

To me, you lot are sounding eerily similar to big movie companies whinging about home streaming meanwhile Star Wars is making over 2 billion dollars in the cinema. People want the best experience, and that is going to games/cinema. That will never, ever change, no matter how comfortable your sofa is.

If all 3pm games are available, which is what you're proposing, nobody will be choosing to watch Gateshead games though.

It will happen eventually like, the FA/PL only care about making money and pandering to the global market. Won't change my opinion though, what has made the English game brilliant and unique is the fact that there is support for thousands of clubs across the country.

You're talking about the most supported club in Sweden though. If Newcastle 3pm away fixtures are easily accessible, attendances will be affected for Heed, Blyth, Shields et al.

People on Twitter were correctly noting that the Friday night football is another victory for the armchair football fan, removal of the blackout would be the killer blow.

I was talking about the league as a whole, not just my team (who has dropped in their attendances since moving to a new arena, and now hasn't got the highest attendances in the country any more).

Can also add that a vast majority of the match going fans that I know support at least one team in one of Europe's big leagues and follow them almost as much as their local team, so there is competition from the TV for all our games over here.

What if Gateshead away games were shown live on TV? I would bet anything that it'd drum up interest for them and make more people go to their games.

To me, you lot are sounding eerily similar to big movie companies whinging about home streaming meanwhile Star Wars is making over 2 billion dollars in the cinema. People want the best experience, and that is going to games/cinema. That will never, ever change, no matter how comfortable your sofa is.

If all 3pm games are available, which is what you're proposing, nobody will be choosing to watch Gateshead games though.

It will happen eventually like, the FA/PL only care about making money and pandering to the global market. Won't change my opinion though, what has made the English game brilliant and unique is the fact that there is support for thousands of clubs across the country.

Asked earlier if anyone has any stats from around Europe that can back this up. If there are, I'll hold my hands up and say that you've got a point, but until I've seen them, I'll disagree.

Asked earlier if anyone has any stats from around Europe that can back this up. If there are, I'll hold my hands up and say that you've got a point, but until I've seen them, I'll disagree.

Nowhere in Europe has a comparable football pyramid.

Guest neesy111

This, our lower league must be treble the size of quite a few european countries.

This, our lower league must be treble the size of quite a few european countries.

So you can't compare just because there are more fans in the English league?

So you can't compare just because there are more fans in the English league?

More leagues and more clubs all playing at the same time, not just more fans.

I suspect there's nowhere else with non-league football culture quite like ours either.

I still don't agree that that means you can just ignore the rest of the world. And I'm not sure that saying how well supported the lower leagues are really support your point, as as I have said, if you support a team you will go and watch them.

I still don't agree that that means you can just ignore the rest of the world. And I'm not sure that saying how well supported the lower leagues are really support your point, as as I have said, if you support a team you will go and watch them.

Pretty sure the rest of the world can watch the Premier League at 3pm, no?

Your second point simply ignores the reality of the situation. You think fans at North Shields just support them and not Newcastle?

Your second point simply ignores the reality of the situation. You think fans at North Shields just support them and not Newcastle?

We used to be able to watch every game, now because of your stupid laws we only get one.

I'm sure they do, and they would still go and watch North Shields even if Newcastle were on tele, is my point.

Guest neesy111

We used to be able to watch every game, now because of your stupid laws we only get one.

I'm sure they do, and they would still go and watch North Shields even if Newcastle were on tele, is my point.

None of the laws have changed though.

Aye, they have for international audiences.

Guest neesy111

That's very likely the PL changing how their games are done with new TV deals kicking in.

Some would, plenty wouldn't. It would also be far more difficult to get kids into lower league football if not just Newcastle were on the box, but Chelsea and Man City who it's hard to keep them away from in the first place, especially in areas without top flight football.

With all due respect, it's got absolutely fuck all to do with the rest of the world how English football operates and the mind boggles that you think it does. The PL might have whored itself out to the highest bidders worldwide but that's up to them, there are more clubs happy to keep them from having even more power and money. I could start supporting an Australian team tomorrow, that doesn't give me the right to start demanding they play their games in the middle of the night for my convenience. :lol:

The whole argument that it'll make no odds is bewildering to me - "We've got by far the deepest and strongest pyramid in world football. Why don't we change it to be more like other countries whose lower leagues are a total irrelevance? I'm pretty sure it'll make no difference at all."

Not the ones to do with the 3pm blackout. It's a rule imposed by Ofcom, whose influence abroad is absolutely zero.

Guest neesy111

Some would, plenty wouldn't. It would also be far more difficult to get kids into lower league football if not just Newcastle were on the box, but Chelsea and Man City who it's hard to keep them away from in the first place, especially in areas without top flight football.

With all due respect, it's got absolutely fuck all to do with the rest of the world how English football operates and the mind boggles that you think it does. The PL might have whored itself out to the highest bidders worldwide but that's up to them, there are more clubs happy to keep them from having even more power and money. I could start supporting an Australian team tomorrow, that doesn't give me the right to start demanding they play their games in the middle of the night for my convenience. :lol:

The whole argument that it'll make no odds is bewildering to me - "We've got by far the deepest and strongest pyramid in world football. Why don't we change it to be more like other countries whose lower leagues are a total irrelevance? I'm pretty sure it'll make no difference at all."

Spot on Wullie.

That's very likely the PL changing how their games are done with new TV deals kicking in.

That must be just Europe due to that thing a while ago where pubs were getting Greek TV or something.

Guest firetotheworks

You only need to look at televised vs non-televised attendances in the Europa Cup to see it just on a club by club basis. Televised matches tend to have lower attendences than non-televised matches. It's simply there to see.

Not trying to suggest any change to the pyramid, man. If the local TV issue harms those lower league clubs, fair enough.

I just want to be able to watch Newcastle United play on TV / Streaming and am willing to pay for this in the Championship, and have gone out extra out of my pocket through the entire time I've supported this club via NUFC radio subscriptions, PPV on satellite, paying for the extra TV channels etc.  And I've always been for globalizing and allowing the worldwide supporters and football interested people access to such games. The PL on NBC has opened up the sport over here, and fair enough if you don't give a f*** about that and say the PL is whoring itself out, but whether you care about it or not, your global supporters can have an opinion on this matter too - lord knows we've been following allowing through the highs and lows too. :thup:

I also wish some better posters than me from across the pond (kanji and SEMTEX) would wake up and give me a hand here :lol:

This is a mid night wake up message, so I'm going back to sleep to leave you to fight alone.

But ultimately there is little point in arguing. You're fighting against the magical element of tradition. Its immune to criticism because people love to pretend its still 1996. No solution will work unless its exactly how it is now. No comparisons or stats can be used when tradition is in play. Plus, they're all good being nearby, and anyone outside of the city isnt relevant. Newcastle for newcastlians.

People have already admitting they could go see any 3pm premiership game because of worldwide streams, and yet haven't mentioned the fact the pyramid has not crumbled because of it.

Only a matter of time before more games are available anyway. Whether it's 3pm premier league games being streamed in England or lower league games being available through club websites or something.

Not trying to suggest any change to the pyramid, man. If the local TV issue harms those lower league clubs, fair enough.

I just want to be able to watch Newcastle United play on TV / Streaming and am willing to pay for this in the Championship, and have gone out extra out of my pocket through the entire time I've supported this club via NUFC radio subscriptions, PPV on satellite, paying for the extra TV channels etc.  And I've always been for globalizing and allowing the worldwide supporters and football interested people access to such games. The PL on NBC has opened up the sport over here, and fair enough if you don't give a f*** about that and say the PL is whoring itself out, but whether you care about it or not, your global supporters can have an opinion on this matter too - lord knows we've been following allowing through the highs and lows too. :thup:

:thup:

The trouble is that if you start allowing clubs to provide access to matches on an ad-hoc club-by-club basis, you're getting closer to a La Liga type system where the TV money pours into specific clubs and everyone else is left with fuck all.

The Championship/Football League has tried before to provide more access to games and it took an entire TV network down with it. The demand simply isn't there even in the UK, outside of a few clubs with big enough fanbases to support it, so I suspect the one camera setup will remain for the foreseeable future.

You only need to look at televised vs non-televised attendances in the Europa Cup to see it just on a club by club basis. Televised matches tend to have lower attendences than non-televised matches. It's simply there to see.

Don't think this is hugely relevant. This is a factor of the Europa league being downplayed to fuck by everyone in involved, so no fans really gives a shit about going to the games in the first place. The early rounds of the tournament are just treated as a total after thought and the fans have reacted accordingly.

I don't see this as being hugely comparable to bread and butter games in the league. Surely the more relevant stat would be how attendances at televised premier league games have been affected. But somehow removing the # of season ticket holders.

Guest neesy111

The trouble is that if you start allowing clubs to provide access to matches on an ad-hoc club-by-club basis, you're getting closer to a La Liga type system where the TV money pours into specific clubs and everyone else is left with fuck all.

The Championship/Football League has tried before to provide more access to games and it took an entire TV network down with it. The demand simply isn't there even in the UK, outside of a few clubs with big enough fanbases to support it, so I suspect the one camera setup will remain for the foreseeable future.

That and the costs of doing it would out-weight the money that comes in from it.  For example if only newcastle fans had access to watching every game live, then we would have to do the setup for all away games.

Perfectly easy to get round that by funneling all the money into one big pot, or a pot per league or something. Even if it was available per football club website, there'd still be price structure and the streams would likely come from a single source.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say something like this could benefit the smaller clubs should the money be shared out equally.