Queens Park Rangers 0 - 6 Newcastle United - Post :fwap: reaction from page 37

BlueStar

Such as? How will Premier League teams being on television more ever benefit Hartlepool/Macclesfield/Wycombe?

Many of these clubs already exist on the breadline, and we've seen a few go out of business in the last few years, like Darlington and Chester. It only takes a small dip in attendances to push small clubs over the edge - and they would dip, no question. There'd be a gradual decline of new supporters, and an immediate decline in the supporters of Premier League/Championship clubs who go casually to lower league clubs when their side is away from home. I used to go to Hartlepool regularly with my dad, and the 10 year old me would have been having none of that if Newcastle were on the TV at the same time.

It's not scaremongering to suggest that clubs like Gateshead/Tranmere/Leyton Orient will see a hit if Newcastle/Liverpool/West Ham are on TV at the same time, it's bloody obvious.

Clubs streaming their games online that aren't Televised to their own paying members through their own official website, only to people with a certain amount of purchase history of tickets? Probably a stupid as fuck idea but it's past midnight so :lol:

Of course I find it frustrating being away from the UK now and not being able to watch the games, and I'll try my best to see whatever I can. But I still support the blackout, I agree with everything Wullie's said.

There is definitely also an element of nostalgia in listening to the games on BBC too as I did for many games all of my childhood.

While I'm on a subject that I've always had a bee in my bonnet about, and apropos of nothing really:

There's always the possibility that the PL will go the way of La Liga, with all ten games staggered over the weekend away from everything else for TV purposes. I think that would be really damaging to our football culture long term too - possibly even moreso than just televising PL games at 3pm actually.

IMO, one of the things that has kept English and Scottish lower league football so relevant, is that they all (mainly) kick off at the same time. There's something really brilliant about that. If you're watching the PL results come in, you're also watching the National League results come in, and the Scottish second division, and that has always been the way of it. That doesn't happen anywhere else, and I think it's part of the reason that leagues below the top flight in other major footballing nations become an irrelevance, stuck out of the way when only fans of those clubs are paying any attention at all. If you're a Bayern fan wanting to know the 2. Bundesliga results, you have to go out of your way to find them when they're played in the early evening on Friday, and Sunday afternoons, away from the Bundesliga. If you're a Man United fan keeping up with the Premier League games on Saturday, you're finding out the Woking result whether you like it or not. I've always loved that. It keeps all five main tiers in the general public consciousness.

I pay a (relatively) decent amount of attention to leagues below the top flight around Europe when I'm betting and when you do that, you realise how amazing the English pyramid is in how much coverage there is of even the non-league compared to the third tier in countries like Spain and Germany. I think the synchronised kick off times are a big part of that.

Not sure how we got onto this topic considering we're in the Championship anyway like. At the QPR game, like every Football League game that isn't televised/chosen before kick off for extended highlights, there was one camera. That's part of the deal with being relegated, and it's tough shit really.

While I'm on a subject that I've always had a bee in my bonnet about, and apropos of nothing really:

There's always the possibility that the PL will go the way of La Liga, with all ten games staggered over the weekend away from everything else for TV purposes. I think that would be really damaging to our football culture long term too - possibly even moreso than just televising PL games at 3pm actually.

IMO, one of the things that has kept English and Scottish lower league football so relevant, is that they all (mainly) kick off at the same time. There's something really brilliant about that. If you're watching the PL results come in, you're also watching the National League results come in, and the Scottish second division, and that has always been the way of it. That doesn't happen anywhere else, and I think it's part of the reason that leagues below the top flight in other major footballing nations become an irrelevance, stuck out of the way when only fans of those clubs are paying any attention at all. If you're a Bayern fan wanting to know the 2. Bundesliga results, you have to go out of your way to find them when they're played in the early evening on Friday, and Sunday afternoons, away from the Bundesliga. If you're a Man United fan keeping up with the Premier League games on Saturday, you're finding out the Woking result whether you like it or not. I've always loved that.

I pay a (relatively) decent amount of attention to leagues below the top flight around Europe when I'm betting and when you do that, you realise how amazing the English pyramid is in how much coverage there is of even the non-league compared to the third tier in countries like Spain and Germany. I think the synchronised kick off times are a big part of that.

Not sure how we got onto this topic considering we're in the Championship anyway like. At the QPR game, like every Football League game that isn't televised/chosen before kick off for extended highlights, there was one camera. That's part of the deal with being relegated, and it's tough s*** really.

It doesn't matter how we got onto the subject. That was superbly put.

It protects what little is left of the special football culture that's left in this country. That's good enough for me.

We were still manically chasing goals until the last few minutes. Reckon Benitez wanted them to calm the f*** down when he took off a striker but they were enjoying themselves too much and kept cutting them open [emoji38] Honestly never seen owt like it in the flesh, it was a merciless battering from the first minute to the last.

Manically ? I know what you mean but it wasn't manic, it was calm and the natural way of power over something weaker. I only listened to it and caught highlights but it sounded like we kept going, no showboating at 3 up, relentless. To keep concentration like that is what seperates the good teams from the teams with good players. All is pointing up right now.

Fucking hell, I was at the match and you were listening to it on the radio and you still know better. Typical madras [emoji38]

IMO, one of the things that has kept English and Scottish lower league football so relevant, is that they all (mainly) kick off at the same time. There's something really brilliant about that. If you're watching the PL results come in, you're also watching the National League results come in, and the Scottish second division, and that has always been the way of it. That doesn't happen anywhere else, and I think it's part of the reason that leagues below the top flight in other major footballing nations become an irrelevance, stuck out of the way when only fans of those clubs are paying any attention at all. If you're a Bayern fan wanting to know the 2. Bundesliga results, you have to go out of your way to find them when they're played in the early evening on Friday, and Sunday afternoons, away from the Bundesliga. If you're a Man United fan keeping up with the Premier League games on Saturday, you're finding out the Woking result whether you like it or not. I've always loved that. It keeps all five main tiers in the general public consciousness.

Not sure how we got onto this topic considering we're in the Championship anyway like. At the QPR game, like every Football League game that isn't televised/chosen before kick off for extended highlights, there was one camera. That's part of the deal with being relegated, and it's tough shit really.

A German wanted to lecture me about how English football had sold out to the global rich, TV and sponsorship while their clubs had retained their souls through varying degrees of fan "ownership".

I had to point out to him that if that really was the case then why were they absolutely dictated to by TV schedules every weekend with very few traditional Saturday afternoon kick offs.

Plenty wrong with English football at the highest levels but keeping our kick off times, predominantly, to the traditional time is a good thing.   

Wullie's absolutely nailed it with both those posts.

Even if there was a subscription service for overseas fans, it'd only be a matter of time before fans/pubs here found a way round it and joined in watching.

There's also little doubt in my mind we wouldn't be pushing 50k at home if every Championship game was televised. Last time we were down I only missed about four home games, just buying tickets on a game-by-game basis, because it wasn't just a case of turning the laptop on.

Even if there was a subscription service for overseas fans, it'd only be a matter of time before fans/pubs here found a way round it and joined in watching.

We get every PL game over here including Saturday 3pms.  Every game for every team, you just choose which one you want to watch.

We get every PL game over here including Saturday 3pms.  Every game for every team, you just choose which one you want to watch.

Should've clarified I meant for anything outside the PL. It's a piece of piss for fans here to watch PL 3 o'clocks as well.

Is there any actual evidence that Wullie has a point here though? Has lower league attendances gone down in Spain, Germany, France etc since the introduction of games being shown on TV? I would argue that people will always go to games because watching on tele isn't a direct replacement to watching games live. I can watch each and every one of AIKs game on TV, but I still have a season ticket and go to every home game and the away derby games. If anything, games being shown on TV means that my interest in the team and sport goes up and I'm more likely to go to more games. And this is in a league that is utter shite, probably worse than the Championship. Pretty sure that last year was the most attended year in Swedish football history, so games being shown on TV doesn't seem to hurt the sport whatsoever over here.

You're talking about the most supported club in Sweden though. If Newcastle 3pm away fixtures are easily accessible, attendances will be affected for Heed, Blyth, Shields et al.

People on Twitter were correctly noting that the Friday night football is another victory for the armchair football fan, removal of the blackout would be the killer blow.

You're talking about the most supported club in Sweden though. If Newcastle 3pm away fixtures are easily accessible, attendances will be affected for Heed, Blyth, Shields et al.

People on Twitter were correctly noting that the Friday night football is another victory for the armchair football fan, removal of the blackout would be the killer blow.

I was talking about the league as a whole, not just my team (who has dropped in their attendances since moving to a new arena, and now hasn't got the highest attendances in the country any more).

Can also add that a vast majority of the match going fans that I know support at least one team in one of Europe's big leagues and follow them almost as much as their local team, so there is competition from the TV for all our games over here.

What if Gateshead away games were shown live on TV? I would bet anything that it'd drum up interest for them and make more people go to their games.

To me, you lot are sounding eerily similar to big movie companies whinging about home streaming meanwhile Star Wars is making over 2 billion dollars in the cinema. People want the best experience, and that is going to games/cinema. That will never, ever change, no matter how comfortable your sofa is.

I have weird views on this because in theory I agree with the blackout but in practice I just want to be able to follow my team.

It's for the greater good Ian. Character building

TBF I have been to a couple of Bromley games already this season. Only while the weather's good mind.