NUFC History - Matchday Experiences/Memories - Those Were The Days Thread

NG32

Can remember Wrexham match abandoned at half time. About 4000 in the ground. Sat in East Stand but can remember there must've been just a few hundred along the back wall of Gallowgate. Can't remember 1st match other than the smell of brewery, seeing police covered in spit and the peanut seller.

Being about 12 when we won away to West Ham 2-4, Shearer and Owen tearing it up. Main memory is being in my glory with a black and white Santa hat on singing "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey at HT along with loads of other people around me :blush: It was a quality atmosphere during the game aswell. A week before Christmas I think it was!

Darren Ambrose giving us the lead at Old Trafford is another moment I will never forget. Absolute scenes in the away end! But we all know what happened after..

I accidentally smacked a copper in the face when Owen scored his hat-track. Absolute pandemonium, I had the list ticket before the divide and a copper right next to me and in celebrating my right fist went backwards and smashed him right on the nose and his hat went flying and was quickly being tossed about by joyous toon fans.

Being about 12 when we won away to West Ham 2-4, Shearer and Owen tearing it up. Main memory is being in my glory with a black and white Santa hat on singing "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey at HT along with loads of other people around me :blush: It was a quality atmosphere during the game aswell. A week before Christmas I think it was!

Darren Ambrose giving us the lead at Old Trafford is another moment I will never forget. Absolute scenes in the away end! But we all know what happened after..

Definitely the gayest away day story I've ever heard.

Suppose you were sniffing coke off prostitutes tits at the age of 12 at Burnley away or something, aye?

I was also at the Bournemouth cup tie in 1992 (the first one) that was postponed to due pea soup fog. Couldn't see the Leazes End, from the Scoreboard and could barely see the Milburn too. :(

That game was started in the full knowledge that it could not have been finished, but getting to half-time meant no refunds. The last embers of McKeag.

Much better now we have Ashley!

I was also at the Bournemouth cup tie in 1992 (the first one) that was postponed to due pea soup fog. Couldn't see the Leazes End, from the Scoreboard and could barely see the Milburn too. :(

That game was started in the full knowledge that it could not have been finished, but getting to half-time meant no refunds. The last embers of McKeag.

Yup. Was hell on in the local press the day after. The club relented and everyone was let in half-price for the re-arranged game (which we lost on pens)

My first game was a 1-0 win over Tranmere Rovers on 10th October 1992, I'd just turned 8. That win made it 10/10 wins at the start of the 1992/93 season.

David Kelly scored the goal.

7,000 locked out that day. Every match after that was all ticket. Remember the panic when they locked the gates at the Gallowgate with 1000s legging it round to the Leazes as word went round that there was still a bit of space in there as we stood there smug watching them all because we had our season tickets.

They games weren't all ticket after that,  I used to play Saturday afternoon so didn't get to too many games but I was at Derby at home where we put in 4 and another game shortly afterwards where we smashed some team and both times I ended up in the Leazes after they locked the gates in the Gallowgate.

Anyway, memories; ending up on the pitch at home to Everton after fights broke out with away fans in the East Stand Paddock, Hibs fans looking to take the Leazes at HT in a pre season friendly, petrol bomb game. As for matches, far too many but a mention to the Fulham game which was on motd, it pissed down all game and we came back to win very late on and there was steam coming up from the crowd in the Gallowgate. Could go on for ages; Gayle and Bennett game, nearly throwing up on a NYD when hung over and McCrerry sliced his leg open in front of us. Brighton filling the Leazes end on their way to promotion and QPR hammering us as they went up - completed outclassed us that day.

I'd best stop now, so many great memories, oh Kenny Wharton sitting on the ball.....

Yup. Was hell on in the local press the day after. The club relented and everyone was let in half-price for the re-arranged game (which we lost on pens)

Yeah, £4 in. Andy Hunt x2 and then the inevitable penalty loss. I was at the first tie at Dean Court as I was (just coincidentally, like) visiting my grandmother in Surrey that weekend. I was just a kid and met a group of seven lads on the train. We went to a bar in Bournemouth and did a full round which meant I had to hold onto the stanchion for the entire game, of which I remember nothing.

My first game was a 1-0 win over Tranmere Rovers on 10th October 1992, I'd just turned 8. That win made it 10/10 wins at the start of the 1992/93 season.

7,000 locked out that day. Every match after that was all ticket. Remember the panic when they locked the gates at the Gallowgate with 1000s legging it round to the Leazes as word went round that there was still a bit of space in there as we stood there smug watching them all because we had our season tickets.

They games weren't all ticket after that,  I used to play Saturday afternoon so didn't get to too many games but I was at Derby at home where we put in 4 and another game shortly afterwards where we smashed some team and both times I ended up in the Leazes after they locked the gates in the Gallowgate.

Anyway, memories; ending up on the pitch at home to Everton after fights broke out with away fans in the East Stand Paddock, Hibs fans looking to take the Leazes at HT in a pre season friendly, petrol bomb game. As for matches, far too many but a mention to the Fulham game which was on motd, it p*ssed down all game and we came back to win very late on and there was steam coming up from the crowd in the Gallowgate. Could go on for ages; Gayle and Bennett game, nearly throwing up on a NYD when hung over and McCrerry sliced his leg open in front of us. Brighton filling the Leazes end on their way to promotion and QPR hammering us as they went up - completed outclassed us that day.

I'd best stop now, so many great memories, oh Kenny Wharton sitting on the ball.....

We drew 1-1 at home to Derby that season.

Guest reefatoon

Cracking read this thread.

Remember a cup game way back in 87 against Blackpool. It was bedlam outside the Gallowgate, trying to get in the ground, queues all over, pushing and moving and really tight. There was this police woman on a horse trying to keep a bit of order. The horse was foaming away and some bloke said "Christ,  look at that horse foaming at the mouth" and the police woman replied straight back at him "so would you if I had my legs wrapped around you". Went down a treat it did. Cracking 4-1 win too, lovely finish from Gazza to round it off. Used to love midweek games back in the day.

Anyway, memories; ending up on the pitch at home to Everton after fights broke out with away fans in the East Stand Paddock, Hibs fans looking to take the Leazes at HT in a pre season friendly, petrol bomb game. As for matches, far too many but a mention to the Fulham game which was on motd, it p*ssed down all game and we came back to win very late on and there was steam coming up from the crowd in the Gallowgate. Could go on for ages; Gayle and Bennett game, nearly throwing up on a NYD when hung over and McCrerry sliced his leg open in front of us. Brighton filling the Leazes end on their way to promotion and QPR hammering us as they went up - completed outclassed us that day.

We drew 1-1 at home to Derby that season.

You're right, I've just checked, it was Notts County we put 4 against and we then put 6 passed Barnsley. I haven't bothered looking but did we put 4 passed Derby when we went up when Keegan was playing? I've got memories of them in an orange kit and we put 4 in

Get your memories in here.  :lol:

I was at the match in 1988/89 (I think) when we played Wimbledon in the FA, where Vinny Jones grabbed gazza by the nads.  I always remember the incident at the end of the match where Mirandina ran up and flying kicked David Beasent in the back.  :lol:

The still had the fences up then, I remember my old man raging at Vinny Jones through the fence.  :lol:

That was the year Wimbledon went on to win the cup.

After Mira kicked Beasant, Dennis Wise legged it after Mira. At this point the whole corner surged forward trying to climb the fences to twat the little fucker/protect Mira (all the other players had left the pitch; for some reason I recall them leaving off by between the Leazes/East stand). I got on top of the fence, at which point one of the spikes punctured my jeans (missed nads thankfully). When I jumped down and looked behind me expecting to see a baying mob, I was all alone. Mira and Wise, sensing a pitch invasion, had already legged it toward the tunnel, but I made a show of running down the line towards him. I got about a third of the way down the East stand when I noticed a copper looking at me. He just stood there shaking his head and said "We're all disappointed son, get yersel away home." Still the best bit of  policing I have come across in my life.

I wasn't really aware of NUFC until the summer of '96, aged 7. It was just a combination of finally discovering football (parents don't really like it), Euro '96 and Shearer coming home - I went from 0 to 100 in months. Never looked back since then and quite vividly remember where I was listening/watching most of our games from the 96/97 season. The 5-0 against Man Utd was sitting on the floor playing with my 10-month old baby brother, 7-1 was sat in the ASDA car park while mam and dad were shopping, 4-3 v Leicester was with my uncle Dusty etc.

My first football match was actually at Sunderland v Bury because my school were giving out wads of free tickets (I know we go on about this, but it really is true. Struggled to sell tickets for their new stadium so almost every match was offered to school kids.... and Chester-le-Street isn't exactly nearby either!) First Newcastle match was against CSKA Sofia in late '99, I think.

And favourite goal in person was definitely Ben Arfa v Bolton. I was right behind that one, it was amazing.

One of my favourite crowd reactions from the days of the terraces was when there had been a change of ends at the warm up and the opposing keeper would jog towards the Leazes end, the whole end would start applauding him. You could see that this had made a good impression on him and he would start to clap back at the Leazes enders. This would be met with the biggest collective roar of fuck off and flicking the v's. I nearly pissed meself that first time and used to look forward to it every home game for years to come, it was fucking marvellous  :lol:

I don't know how anyone remembers their first game, I think mine was a game against Wrexham, some other team that played in red or a  supermac managed Fulham, I have memories of times in the leazes end when it was little more than a pile of rumble and a pretty deserted one and also in the west/centre paddock. Just can't recall which happened first. We were definitely in the 2nd division at the time at it must have been the late 70's or very early 80's.

It wasn't until the post Keegan (as a player) era that I started to go on a regular basis. That was not a great time, selling all our best players and employing people like Willie McFaul to manage the team. Culminating in a relegation.

Can't remember which was my first match. First visit to SJP was to welcome the team back following a cup final defeat. An uncle (now deceased) took me and I can still remember the wonder of it all. Walking through narrow wooden walkways full of hundreds of people (past Grey's monument -- must have been cleaning the monument or digging out below or something). The crush getting in (upstairs Milburn)  the level of noise in the ground. Some guy dressed as a magpie dancing around the players as they walked around the pitch, people waving tin foil on cardboard cups. It was literally amazing, to me, like a carnival. Fuck knows what it would have been like if we'd won! Still can't figure out if it was 1972 or 1974.

My first match at SJP was a 0-0 against Blackburn in the late 90s, can't remember if it was a league or cup game. I went to about 5 games before seeing Newcastle score a goal. Then I got my season ticket in 2000 and saw my first ever goal and win in a 3-2 against Derby with Daniel Cordone scoring :love:

This wasn't a game I went to but I remember I was young and obsessed with checking the scores on Ceefax. There were 3 pages of scores but I only cared about the Newcastle one so I pressed HOLD to freeze the screen when we were playing Sheffield Wednesday and we were winning 4-0. I didn't realise by freezing it meant that the score wouldn't update. So my dad got in and told me that Newcastle won 8-0 I couldn't believe it and was convinced that if I checked the Newcastle score on Ceefax every week and then pressed HOLD, the score would double by full time.