NUFC History - Matchday Experiences/Memories - Those Were The Days Thread

NG32

My first match at SJP was a 0-0 against Blackburn in the late 90s, can't remember if it was a league or cup game. I went to about 5 games before seeing Newcastle score a goal. Then I got my season ticket in 2000 and saw my first ever goal and win in a 3-2 against Derby with Daniel Cordone scoring :love:

This wasn't a game I went to but I remember I was young and obsessed with checking the scores on Ceefax. There were 3 pages of scores but I only cared about the Newcastle one so I pressed HOLD to freeze the screen when we were playing Sheffield Wednesday and we were winning 4-0. I didn't realise by freezing it meant that the score wouldn't update. So my dad got in and told me that Newcastle won 8-0 I couldn't believe it and was convinced that if I checked the Newcastle score on Ceefax every week and then pressed HOLD, the score would double by full time.

That was the first game with the stadium as 52000. That one was special for me too. I had shared a season ticket for years, but I got a new seat that was just mine, right in the 4th row of the Milburn paddock near the Gallowgate 6 yard line and that was my first game there. Stephen Glass scored a long ranger too.  A few days later we beat Spurs 2-0 at home, Gary Speed ran over near us to celebrate and I fucking loved being so close to the front.

Wettest match - at home to Oxford in 1991. Match was called off at HT (should have never been allowed to start) with the score at 1-1. Absolutely soaked along with 13000 others that were there. :( I was also at the Bournemouth cup tie in 1992 (the first one) that was postponed to due pea soup fog. Couldn't see the Leazes End, from the Scoreboard and could barely see the Milburn too. :(

cant remember the oxford game, but was at the abandoned bournemouth game- in scoreboard also. Can remember a comeback against Charlton in the rain, with the gallowgate end literally steaming after the goals.

I was at the famous abandoned Fiorentina friendly in 2012. A memorable occasion. About 10,000 children watching the players kick the ball a maximum of about 3 metres at a time before the ref stopped play early in the second half.

Guest neesy111

with Daniel Cordone scoring

Was that the mental case who had his earrings soldered on so they couldn't be removed? [emoji38] I was there.

Aye. Bang in to his drugs n all.

3 goals in 2 home games And did fuck all else for us.  Classic Mick Wadsworth signing.

One that sticks in my mind , details a bit sketchy though , was a mid week game against Chelsea . The headlines in the rags going into the match were "Newcastle hit by H bomb" as we had just been tanked by Liverpool 6 - 0 . Anyway St. James's was rammed and rocking and we thumped Chelsea 5 - 1 ... all was well again and I visited every corner of the Gallowgate that night , swept along in the celebrating masses.... Memorable experience

So many 80s teenage memories - most of them at away games. The 8-1 defeat at West Ham on a Monday night where Pedro ended up in goal, a win at Oxford where Billy Whitehurst  (playing for them) offered out the whole away end, the '87 Cup game at Spurs (mental inside the ground, far worse outside), Paul Goddard scoring a midweek winner at Arsenal. A copper scraping me off the floor after I slipped celebrating Andy Thomas scoring in a win at Chelsea.

Sadly, also some less happy memories (NF songs, monkey chants)...

I've had a look on a certain video website to check my failing memory. I'd previously mentioned it pissing down in a motd game at home to Fulham - I knew it was Charlton, look for Newcastle v Charlton and it will come up, you can't really tell but the rain was torrential and the steam coming off the crowd was something else.

The next item after that game is the Derby 4-0 game, well worth a look, we were great that day, the crowd amazing, oh for safe standing.

Must also mention the KK FA Cup game at Liverpool, around 14k of us there, what a night, also on that well known site. The noise we made all through that game was something very special.

I've had a look on a certain video website to check my failing memory. I'd previously mentioned it pissing down in a motd game at home to Fulham - I knew it was Charlton, look for Newcastle v Charlton and it will come up, you can't really tell but the rain was torrential and the steam coming off the crowd was something else.

The next item after that game is the Derby 4-0 game, well worth a look, we were great that day, the crowd amazing, oh for safe standing.

Must also mention the KK FA Cup game at Liverpool, around 14k of us there, what a night, also on that well known site. The noise we made all through that game was something very special.

mentioned the steam further up :lol:

Aye remember Anfield on the friday night well, wagged school. had our coach windows put out, freezing journey back with missing windows.

Can't remember which was my first match. First visit to SJP was to welcome the team back following a cup final defeat. An uncle (now deceased) took me and I can still remember the wonder of it all. Walking through narrow wooden walkways full of hundreds of people (past Grey's monument -- must have been cleaning the monument or digging out below or something). The crush getting in (upstairs Milburn)  the level of noise in the ground. Some guy dressed as a magpie dancing around the players as they walked around the pitch, people waving tin foil on cardboard cups. It was literally amazing, to me, like a carnival. f*** knows what it would have been like if we'd won! Still can't figure out if it was 1972 or 1974.

Sure that was 74 mate, i think I've got a magazine (or whatever) somewhere with a photo from the directors box with the caption, "We lost, but what if had won?"

Being about 12 when we won away to West Ham 2-4, Shearer and Owen tearing it up. Main memory is being in my glory with a black and white Santa hat on singing "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey at HT along with loads of other people around me :blush: It was a quality atmosphere during the game aswell. A week before Christmas I think it was!

Darren Ambrose giving us the lead at Old Trafford is another moment I will never forget. Absolute scenes in the away end! But we all know what happened after..

Definitely the gayest away day story I've ever heard.

Suppose you were sniffing coke off prostitutes tits at the age of 12 at Burnley away or something, aye?

No. We didn't play Burnley away in my time as a supporter till I was 28 - by which time my cocaína days were over, mostly.

Can't remember which was my first match. First visit to SJP was to welcome the team back following a cup final defeat. An uncle (now deceased) took me and I can still remember the wonder of it all. Walking through narrow wooden walkways full of hundreds of people (past Grey's monument -- must have been cleaning the monument or digging out below or something). The crush getting in (upstairs Milburn)  the level of noise in the ground. Some guy dressed as a magpie dancing around the players as they walked around the pitch, people waving tin foil on cardboard cups. It was literally amazing, to me, like a carnival. f*** knows what it would have been like if we'd won! Still can't figure out if it was 1972 or 1974.

Sure that was 74 mate, i think I've got a magazine (or whatever) somewhere with a photo from the directors box with the caption, "We lost, but what if had won?"

It was the Chronicle pull out. I've still got two copies somewhere.

O0

Sounds like the cup final return of 1974, I was there too, also in the West Stand.. 

Think they started the metro tunneling around about then,  so that would explain the wooden fences round the monument.

In about '95 when I was about 13/14 me and me mates used to stand at the gates under the Leazes/Milburn corner where you could see the pitch, I remember one game I think against QPR where Beardsley scored 2 in a few minutes rifling one into the top corner and a steward opened a door and let us all in to watch the last few minutes; the place was bouncing. I also remember before the Strawberry corner was filled in being took up onto the roofs by my older cousin to see into the ground on a night game. Being a teenager at a time when the club was going through its meteoric rise was just magical. The inky memories I have of those days are still so vivid and it was so easy to fall In love with the club, such a contrast with the post millennium/Ashley eras.

Beam backs at the Odeon, even home games too. Being enraged when you got yet another click on your mint blue Asics away top. Before that even when your mam got you one of those kits with the sew on NUFC badge from Kids Style in North Shields and being both happy you had a strip but gutted at the same time. Ceefax like others have mentioned. Getting the Pink every Saturday. Being in the Junior Magpies. Queuing for hours for tickets to cup games then sitting miles away from your mates in the only spare seat in the Gallowgate. Buzzing for a week after we beat Barca and telling everyone at school about the unbelievable atmosphere.

Remember going to the parade after losing the '98 cup final where thousands upon thousands turned out and thinking imagine the scenes had we won. My mate going on and on about how much he hated Pistone after he got raped by Overmars and how he wanted to drop a dead cow from an Overpass onto the top deck of the bus right on Pistone's head. We all agreed that it was a fitting and just punishment. Shearer and Steve Watson giving speeches on the balcony of the civic centre and saying how they were going to bring the World Cup home that summer in France :lol: haha class.

My first game was a 1-0 win over Tranmere Rovers on 10th October 1992, I'd just turned 8. That win made it 10/10 wins at the start of the 1992/93 season.

David Kelly scored the goal.

7,000 locked out that day. Every match after that was all ticket. Remember the panic when they locked the gates at the Gallowgate with 1000s legging it round to the Leazes as word went round that there was still a bit of space in there as we stood there smug watching them all because we had our season tickets.

I think that was the first game I went to with my mates, we were fifteen. We'd managed to score some bottles of K cider for on the train, but being obviously underage drinking them was a bit tricky. I wasn't even aware there was so many locked out. I just remember the police on horses separating the queues, two abreast lads. All that shite. Trying not to get drooled on by the horse! It was even something mental like £3.75 to get in in.

My first game was a 1-0 win over Tranmere Rovers on 10th October 1992, I'd just turned 8. That win made it 10/10 wins at the start of the 1992/93 season.

7,000 locked out that day. Every match after that was all ticket. Remember the panic when they locked the gates at the Gallowgate with 1000s legging it round to the Leazes as word went round that there was still a bit of space in there as we stood there smug watching them all because we had our season tickets.

I think that was the first game I went to with my mates, we were fifteen. We'd managed to score some bottles of K cider for on the train, but being obviously underage drinking them was a bit tricky. I wasn't even aware there was so many locked out. I just remember the police on horses separating the queues, two abreast lads. All that s****. Trying not to get drooled on by the horse! It was even something mental like £3.75 to get in in.

I was at that game with CP40, Quinn and O'Brien combined with some neat one touch stuff before Quinn scored. I think.

With all the recent talk of the Forest away game being moved to the Friday it reminded me of one of my trips down there. 1-1 when we we were going for the title. Great goal by Beardsley had give us a first half lead. Second half late on with the game under control Batty mis-controls a simple pass and the ball slides under his foot to Woan who advances and cracks one in from 25 yards.

Driving back with my dad and brother up the M1 we pass the team coach and see all the players and management dejected in their seats. So I get my brother to open the sun roof of the car and I stand up out through the roof as my brother drives alongside the coach as I gesture to them all for a few minutes to get their heads up which those that could see on that side acknowledged.

As we all know it mattered not in the end.

cant remember the oxford game, but was at the abandoned bournemouth game- in scoreboard also. Can remember a comeback against Charlton in the rain, with the gallowgate end literally steaming after the goals.

Exactly the same.

Fuck me, that Charlton game. Was in the Gallowgate Corner. Easily the wettest I have ever been at a football match.

Harold Palmer chanting on the pitch pre-match that day I think?!

He was aye. I didn't know who he was, the best answer I could get was some nutter who entertains the troops on Anglo Italian cup trips.

Ha ha! 'Ged the Metro Inspector' should really have been a UK number one!