Do NUFC Need To Change Away Ticket Criteria?

Crumpy Gunt

A friend of mine does corporate games for his company and i asked if he could get tickets for Leeds. He said he couldn't so no preferential treatment for corporate customers.

Lad I know in same boat - given tickets for Derby away but was told no chance when asked for Rotherham.

My work, through their corporate sponsorship, can get 4 tickets for every away game like. I've just got 4 this morning for Forest. Although last season it was 6 tickets so maybe they are cutting down on the corporate allocation.

Could start giving more points for game a further away or for games mid week etc. Maybe even a loyalty point for home cup games too?

They did that for the Sheff Wed cup game last year (I think) after it was requested at the Fans Forum. Anyone know why they didn't bother this season?

I've got a mate who whinges every year that he can't get a Sunderland away ticket. He says his 15 years of being a ST holder should get him loyalty points. He's only been to one away game in those 15 years - Souness' last game away at Man City haha! Thing is, i've got 15 years as well but also 120 loyalties, so why should he be on a level playing field? If you say, on average, you an away game costs you £100, that's £12k i've spent more than him!

You can make the system as simple or as complicated as you like but the way it is now is absolutely fine. The more you go, the more you're rewarded. Simples.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the points system as it is. 

More popular away games with lower allocation means less chance of getting them sadly.

However as someone pointed out...only one or two games sold out last year before reaching zero.  So far, this season we've had Leeds/Hull and potentially Forest & definitely Burton, but the rest have reached zero.

Do the miles, earn the points, buy the tickets. Its the only way to reward people...but aye, cup tickets and a few points for renewing should be awarded too imo. 0.5 points for a cup ticket, probably 10 for a ST.

I'm lucky that i'm in the situation where I don't have to worry about points but I think a few changes are perhaps needed.

I think the main complaint by the new away followers is that people who haven't been for years can still get tickets for the games they want (Im not even sure this is true btw)

Perhaps the club should reduce everyone's points by the same number every year. That way you're always trying to keep your head above zero and those with loads of points will see a steady reduction over the years towards zero. Maybe reduce it by the average number of points that ST holders get each year. If you go to less than average your points go down (but not below zero) if you go to more your points grow.

I also agree that you should retain points gained for life, just because you dont have a ST for a year you shouldn't lose them all. If you get rid of your ST your points should be frozen and only become active again when you renew.

I'm not a season ticket holder but I wouldn't mind going to the occasional away game. Got my eye on Blackburn (should get a really good allocation) but even I can see that selling out. :(

I think that could be our biggest allocation this season, given the terrible attendances due to the ongoing protests against the owners. We'll definitely get the whole of the Darwen End (about 6k), so it depends whether they decide it's worth the logistical hassle of giving us additional in one of the side stands.

I'm not a season ticket holder but I wouldn't mind going to the occasional away game. Got my eye on Blackburn (should get a really good allocation) but even I can see that selling out. :(

You'll get one no bother at all for that! It's on TV and the majority will be back at work the next day and we'll get a huge allocation!

The only 'fairer' way than the current system would be to do it over 5 years or so. So if you went to 19, 19, 5, 5, 5 away games then you'd lose 19 at the start of the next season so your points would take a big hit and others may be catching you up.

Other than that though I see the current system as pretty good. All this about cup games is pointless imo. Away tickets loyalty should always come from just that...away tickets.

The only 'fairer' way than the current system would be to do it over 5 years or so. So if you went to 19, 19, 5, 5, 5 away games then you'd lose 19 at the start of the next season so your points would take a big hit and others may be catching you up.

Other than that though I see the current system as pretty good. All this about cup games is pointless imo. Away tickets loyalty should always come from just that...away tickets.

That's what the mackems use isn't, albeit over the last 3 years?

I think it's debatable whether it's fairer. Probably depends which side of the fence your on in terms of having points or trying to build them. My personal opinion is that our system is better, although I can see the justification for this type.

Aye. For me you should get points for having a season ticket (like 5 points) and also for cup games. I have loads of points as it happens but don't think it's fair on someone like my Dad who has been a season ticket holder for like 40 years or so and cannot get to certain away games now because he has less points than someone like me. He's probably been to as many if not more away games

You'll get one no bother at all for that! It's on TV and the majority will be back at work the next day and we'll get a huge allocation!

:thup:

I think the thing is with away tickets, there are always those that are gonna miss out. No system is perfect. However the club membership scheme is little more than a scam.

yes, this loyalty points s**** does my head in, im with the OP and have given up trying to get an away ticket

for those of us who must start somewhere its nigh on impossible to get to a game like Leeds.

give me back the days of first come first served, obviously season ticket holders, it takes loyalty to get up and queue on a wet Monday morning just as much as  the corporate/well off guys who can rack up points because money is no problem week in week out.

i think a compromise of half to go on sale to those who want to roll up and queue  O0

This is bollocks. You serve your time going to the unattractive away games over the years and that loyalty is rightly rewarded when it comes to attractive games with small allocations. If you think it's only wealthy people and corporates with lots of loyalty points you are very wrong and don't really understand our loyal away core.

This.

Not sure about Blackburn like, think demand will be huge. Can't see it going to members.

We'll get 8000 won't we? The whole Darwen End?

Think it's just over 7k these days because they don't sell the seats in the first few rows anymore.  I blame myself for that because I was put in the very front row when we beat them 2-1 in an FA Cup replay in 1995 and I ran on the pitch when Clarkie scored 5 minutes before the end.  Wrestled to the ground off 3 stewards and thrown out but as the gates were all open because the match was almost finished I simply walked back in again. Stayed in the ground for 45 minutes after the final whistle singing "Walking in a Keegan Wonderland" as I think he'd sold Andy Cole the week before and took a bit of stick from the fans.

Not sure about Blackburn like, think demand will be huge. Can't see it going to members.

We'll get 8000 won't we? The whole Darwen End?

Think it's just over 7k these days because they don't sell the seats in the first few rows anymore.  I blame myself for that because I was put in the very front row when we beat them 2-1 in an FA Cup replay in 1995 and I ran on the pitch when Clarkie scored 5 minutes before the end.  Wrestled to the ground off 3 stewards and thrown out but as the gates were all open because the match was almost finished I simply walked back in again. Stayed in the ground for 45 minutes after the final whistle singing "Walking in a Keegan Wonderland" as I think he'd sold Andy Cole the week before and took a bit of stick from the fans.

Ha ha brilliant! Great night! You're right we were there for ages! Hottiger's inward-bending free kick for the 1st - magic!

Aye it definately doesnt need changing like.

Last season only 2 games (Bournemouth and Sunderland) didnt go to at least 0 points, majority went to members.

So theres 17 points you could have got last season. This season Fulham, Derby, Villa, QPR, Barnsley and Preston all went to at least 0 points, so theres another 6 points you could have got.

So in just  1 and a half seasons you could have been on 23 at least, factor in thr Pardew years and anyone going regularly from around 2012 could be looking at 75+ by now.

Just because people fancy going now we're doing well and doing big games like Leeds and cup ties Hull etc, doesnt mean they should be able to when ST holders have been going for years when we were shite.

Besides, as ive outlined above, this season alone you could hve gone to 6 of our 7 away games, so the system is fine.

Last season only 2 games (Bournemouth and Sunderland) didnt go to at least 0 points, majority went to members.

So theres 17 points you could have got last season. This season Fulham, Derby, Villa, QPR, Barnsley and Preston all went to at least 0 points, so theres another 6 points you could have got.

So in just  1 and a half seasons you could have been on 23 at least, factor in thr Pardew years and anyone going regularly from around 2012 could be looking at 75+ by now.

Just because people fancy going now we're doing well and doing big games like Leeds and cup ties Hull etc, doesnt mean they should be able to when ST holders have been going for years when we were shite.

Besides, as ive outlined above, this season alone you could hve gone to 6 of our 7 away games, so the system is fine.

Exactly. Maybe you should get 5 points every season you renew aswel. Incentive to keep season ticket

Just because people fancy going now we're doing well and doing big games like Leeds and cup ties Hull etc, doesnt mean they should be able to when ST holders have been going for years when we were s****.

Spot on mate - I said the exact same before!

Only those two last season and for years it has only been Sunderland I think above 0 points bar Liverpool on the last day of the season when they could have won the league?