Preparing for the Premier League

Altamullan

Guest Howaythetoon

3 top class players down the spine would transform our team and therefore I'd rather for example see us spend 60m on 3 such players than 60m on five or six OK players. If you look at Rafa's teams of past, he requires a top keeper, CB, CM and CF and that's what we need.

This is arguably our most crucial transfer window under Ashley because it will determine our future and Rafa's. Bring in the goods and we can really kick on. Don't and what's the point of promotion and having Rafa?! He's not a miracle worker like some managers. Having Rafa and fighting relegation or mid-table is like having a Ferrari and driving it at 20mph.

Give the man the funds and let him get the right payers and we will be just fine.

3 top class players down the spine would transform our team and therefore I'd rather for example see us spend 60m on 3 such players than 60m on five or six OK players. If you look at Rafa's teams of past, he requires a top keeper, CB, CM and CF and that's what we need.

This is arguably our most crucial transfer window under Ashley because it will determine our future and Rafa's. Bring in the goods and we can really kick on. Don't and what's the point of promotion and having Rafa?! He's not a miracle worker like some managers. Having Rafa and fighting relegation or mid-table is like having a Ferrari and driving it at 20mph.

Give the man the funds and let him get the right payers and we will be just fine.

I agree regarding quality before quantity, but we desperately need a LW and LB and #10 as well on top of that spine of three. Dummett is "ok" defensively more often than not, but having someone being able to pass the ball even decently would improve the team on a whole, so much. The balance would be so so much better with a player able to handle a football. Would make us much more fluid.

Anita is better defensively than Yedlin and can read the game. His main flaw is his lack of physical ability which is down to his size. Depends how you want your defenders to play. I get the impression these days more people want their defenders to be better at attacking as a priority. Obscure imo.

Danny Simpson was arguably one of the best RBs we've had in recent years and he was (for me) surprisingly unpopular...

Danny simpson won the prem league last year! aaargh!

Always hated his backing off players and allowing them the tme to do what they liked...

Anita is decent enough back up, we need him to challenge Yedlin.

Danny simpson won the prem league last year! aaargh!

Always hated his backing off players and allowing them the tme to do what they liked...

Anita is decent enough back up, we need him to challenge Yedlin.

I agree about his occasional backing off but I also think he was a solid RB defensively.

There's no pace in the squad atm, and we completely lack a spine. Central midfield has been a problem for years and will continue to be next year unless someone of pedigree is brought in.

This squad would go down if we didn't add to it imo. Not enough quality or match winners at PL level.

There's no pace in the squad atm, and we completely lack a spine. Central midfield has been a problem for years and will continue to be next year unless someone of pedigree is brought in.

This squad would go down if we didn't add to it imo. Not enough quality or match winners at PL level.

I think with a Nº10 and winger, this team would stay up. We need more matchwinners than ritchie and shelvey that´s for sure. I like Gayle, just wonder if he can repeat it in the prem, really hope he does...

We matched / were better than Hull in the cup this year despite losing on penalties. I suspect we'd have just enough in our locker to stay up at present like. Obviously that's on the basis of one game though [emoji38]

Honestly have no idea why people would give Anita a new contact like.

He's dire at CM and is okay in a lower league as a full-back, he's been here a good few years and it's hasn't happened for him.

It's time to move on.

In fairness under Rafa ( small sample size i know ) in the PL he was pretty solid at fullback as well, i don't think it would be that easy to replace him as a back up full back.

4 permanent signings and a couple of loans (starting quality) would be pretty good :thup:

Absolutely spot on. We can actually transform the side without permanent signings all in one window, if we use the loan system cleverly imo.

Key positions as identified 1st choice CB, CM and CF.

LW, LB and GK should be areas we look to strengthen in as well, but get some loans in some of these areas to cover 1st half of season.

There must be young players out there who are better than we have and would jump at chance of 1st team experience.

Realistic spending of 50-60m in summer with loans on top.

Very doable.

He's dire at CM and is okay in a lower league as a full-back, he's been here a good few years and it's hasn't happened for him.

It's time to move on.

In fairness under Rafa ( small sample size i know ) in the PL he was pretty solid at fullback as well, i don't think it would be that easy to replace him as a back up full back.

more importantly why try to address something that doesn't need addressing (yet) when there's so much more that does?

4 permanent signings and a couple of loans (starting quality) would be pretty good :thup:

Absolutely spot on. We can actually transform the side without permanent signings all in one window, if we use the loan system cleverly imo.

Key positions as identified 1st choice CB, CM and CF.

LW, LB and GK should be areas we look to strengthen in as well, but get some loans in some of these areas to cover 1st half of season.

There must be young players out there who are better than we have and would jump at chance of 1st team experience.

Realistic spending of 50-60m in summer with loans on top.

Very doable.

was gonna say before i reckon rafa's contacts would have some great loans lined up if they let him

We need a threat on the wing and he could do that...

Aim higher Imo.

Worth considering that Kodak's fee is potentially £15m and he's done nothing this season to suggest villa would accept less.

Got to give him time to develop

Aim higher Imo.

Worth considering that Kodak's fee is potentially £15m and he's done nothing this season to suggest villa would accept less.

he's probably had too much exposure tbh

Aim higher Imo.

Reading back my post is horribly written!

Villa potentially need to pay Bristol City £15m for Kodja.

He's had a decent season.

Can't see why Villa would sell him for less than £15m

Is what I was trying to say!

Edit and just noticed the Kodak comment. Duh

It's time to move on.

more importantly why try to address something that doesn't need addressing (yet) when there's so much more that does?

Yup. :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

If Hull are the team that goes down, or even if they don't, does anyone else think that Grosiki is a very Rafa-type player that would work well for us?