Preparing for the Premier League

Altamullan

Our left flank is tragic, we desperately need a new LB and LW, but we really need to focus on an attacking mid to sit behind Gayle. Finally some competition for Shelvey.

TBH there's a case for almost every position, which tells its own story.

Though that's probably true for every team out there to be fair. You ask any fan and they would probably choose at least 5 players to be replaced.

Still have slight hope for Aarons but obviously can't be relied on. Could be an unexpected bonus....

If Rafa thought he could tame him, Balotelli would probably be available from Nice without breaking the bank. He's had a good season at Nice, and just scored a great goal against PSG. He's strong and fast, runs the lines and is suited to playing up front by himself. At 26 he's a good age and still has room to improve.

No thanks, total liability.

• 2 weeks later...

Stab in the dark re who is going and how much we might get plus which positions we might stregthen. I reckon this gives £62m to add to the war chest (plus removal of wages etc) and a guesstimated expenditure (for purchases, assuming in reality we'll get some loans and maybe a free or two) of £100m; net spend £38m.

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Matz Sels  £5m

Tim Krul

Freddie Woodman loan

Ciaran Clark

Grant Hanley £3m

Jamaal Lascelles

Chancel Mbemba  £6m

Kevin Mbabu

NEW CB £14m

NEW CB £4m

Achraf Lazaar £3m

Paul Dummett

Massadio Haidara

DeAndre Yedlin

Jesus Gamez £2m

Jamie Sterry loan

Vurnon Anita

NEW LB £8m

Isaac Hayden

Jack Colback £5M

Matt Ritchie

Jonjo Shelvey

Mohammed Diame £4m

Rolando Aarons  loan

Yoan Guoffran  £2m

Christian Atsu buy £5m

Siem de Jong £9m

Henri Saivet £4M

NEW CM £18

NEW CM £4m

NEW LM £12m

Dwight Gayle

Ayoze Perez

Daryl Murphy £3m

Aleksandar Mitrovic £8m

Emmanuel Rivière £3M

Adam Armstrong loan

NEW no10 £20m

NEW striker £15m

Stab in the dark re who is going and how much we might get plus which positions we might stregthen. I reckon this gives £62m to add to the war chest (plus removal of wages etc) and a guesstimated expenditure (for purchases, assuming in reality we'll get some loans and maybe a free or two) of £100m; net spend £38m.

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Matz Sels  £5m

Tim Krul

Freddie Woodman loan

Ciaran Clark

Grant Hanley £3m

Jamaal Lascelles

Chancel Mbemba  £6m

Kevin Mbabu

NEW CB £14m

NEW CB £4m

Achraf Lazaar £3m

Paul Dummett

Massadio Haidara

DeAndre Yedlin

Jesus Gamez £2m

Jamie Sterry loan

Vurnon Anita

NEW LB £8m

Isaac Hayden

Jack Colback £5M

Matt Ritchie

Jonjo Shelvey

Mohammed Diame £4m

Rolando Aarons  loan

Yoan Guoffran  £2m

Christian Atsu buy £5m

Siem de Jong £9m

Henri Saivet £4M

NEW CM £18

NEW CM £4m

NEW LM £12m

Dwight Gayle

Ayoze Perez

Daryl Murphy £3m

Aleksandar Mitrovic £8m

Emmanuel Rivière £3M

Adam Armstrong loan

NEW no10 £20m

NEW striker £15m

Canny cheap

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Matz Sels  £5m

Tim Krul

Freddie Woodman loan

Ciaran Clark

Grant Hanley £3m

Jamaal Lascelles

Chancel Mbemba  £6m

Kevin Mbabu

NEW CB £14m

NEW CB £4m

Achraf Lazaar £3m

Paul Dummett

Massadio Haidara

DeAndre Yedlin

Jesus Gamez £2m

Jamie Sterry loan

Vurnon Anita

NEW LB £8m

Isaac Hayden

Jack Colback £5M

Matt Ritchie

Jonjo Shelvey

Mohammed Diame £4m

Rolando Aarons  loan

Yoan Guoffran  £2m

Christian Atsu buy £5m

Siem de Jong £9m

Henri Saivet £4M

NEW CM £18

NEW CM £4m

NEW LM £12m

Dwight Gayle

Ayoze Perez

Daryl Murphy £3m

Aleksandar Mitrovic £8m

Emmanuel Rivière £3M

Adam Armstrong loan

NEW no10 £20m

NEW striker £15m

Canny cheap

Isn't Gouffran on a free? We'll be lucky to get that for Riviere.

It's no rocket science that we need to improve the 1st team and squad. Personally I hope that we don't sign too many players at once and just focus on first team players (starting quality). We don't want to break up too much of the current eleven and start from scratch when it comes to building up the team spirit and so on. Replace some of the starting ones and let the some of the current players drop down and become more like squad players. We might be able to sign many players better than what we have but that would also mean that it will take time to get all the pieces together and work as a team. Seen numbers of 7-10 players and when it gets closer to ten new ones I think it's a bit too many too soon. A few steps at the time..

Personally I'd go for a new CB, LB, CM, LW, #10 and a striker at a maximum and even then it's getting close to too many Imo. Add another winger if we don't sign Atsu.  It's quite a few players but it's not like it's an entire new midfield or back four either which is important Imo.

I've seen lots of people (mainly twitter mongs) mention that 70-100m only gets you like 3-4 players. There are a lot of good deals to be done out there, loans as well, and just because some clubs sign players like P. van Anal for 14m or whatever it doesn't mean that we can't get equal or even better quality for less money. Say that we have 80-100m after player sales then it's more than enough for the summer window, I mean I would probably even save a bit from that for the January window.

I'm kind of bored so I'll just give a loose and stupid example anyway without mentioning player names. I'm just putting a fee as an example, and it doesn't have to be this fee, or in respective position as below, but just toying with the idea of 80-100m

CB around 15m

LB around 10m

Couple of quality loans 6m (could even be for one of the positions above))

That's 4 players for around 30m! Which means that we'd still have 50-70m to spend. Rafa is well connected as well so I'm sure he can find bargains as well :thup:

NEW CM £18

Canny cheap

:lol: love a bargain! Happy to volunteer; reckon I am even better at fouling than Hackie Jackie C, and available at 5% of the salary.

:lol: Someone call Rafa!

Those decent enough to be part of a Premiership squad I'd say are: Krul, Darlow, Yedlin, Clark, Mbemba, Dummett, Hayden, Shelvey, Perez, De Jong, Ritchie, Atsu*, Gayle

13 players. Question marks over Lazaar and Gamez since they didn't really play. Anita probably too but his contract is up and there's no talk of renewal.

Add 8 new quality first team players and we'll do more than alright.

It maybe a pipe dream etc etc, but would anyone take Rooney as the 10 for 2 seasons?

How is it a pipe dream? He's been on the wane ( har har) for a couple of seasons now. If he's not producing for Man U in the premier, what are the chances he'll be able to do it with us? I just don't think he's what we need at all.

He's the kind of player who can get a ball under control in the final third, whether by finding a pocket of space or back to goal lower body strength. We've had a year of Diame and Perez being powderpuff up there. He'd lay it off for decent wingers and we'd advance up the pitch. Plus he could get 12 goals with Shelvey feeding him early bullets quite comfortably.

He's playing with much better players than Shelvey so I doubt that, he just isn't very good anymore.

It happens as he's been playing at the top level since he was 16, even ignoring that though he's earning 300k a week ffs. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Rooney is way past it, I'd rather we didn't try and sign big named players past their best. I don't mind a 33 year old experienced head type player, but the likes of Rooney no thanks! Their wages as well are unreal.

Certainly agree that there are deals to be had out there.  You only need to look at last summer to see examples of good scouting that has paid off:

Ousmane Dembele - 12.75m

Naby Keita - 12.75m

Mo Salah - 12.75m

Wanyama - 12m

Redmond - 11m

Guerreiro - 10m

Dzeko - 9m

Rudiger - 7m

Not saying we could attract players of that ilk necessarily - but 70-100m can take you a long way if spent sensibly.

Guest neesy111

Certainly agree that there are deals to be had out there.  You only need to look at last summer to see examples of good scouting that has paid off:

Ousmane Dembele - 12.75m

Naby Keita - 12.75m

Mo Salah - 12.75m

Wanyama - 12m

Redmond - 11m

Guerreiro - 10m

Dzeko - 9m

Rudiger - 7m

Not saying we could attract players of that ilk necessarily - but 70-100m can take you a long way if spent sensibly.

The thing is most sides will wish the same as us in spending money wisely, usually harder than on paper.

Guest Howaythetoon

We have attracted some good players over the years who have had the misfortune of working with the likes of Pardew, Carver and McClaren so were often under coached, Pardewed or basically stopped giving a fuck. Under Rafa we have a world-class coach with greater contacts in the game than any of our scouts under Ashley so I'm hopeful we will be able to bring in the right kind of quality needed. Ba, Remy, Cabaye, Santon, Debuchy, Ben Arfa, Wijnaldum, Cisse, Yanga-Mbiwa, Janmaat, Thauvin, Cabella and de Jong for example were all highly rated or proved good quality for us at times.