Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Newcastle United - 2/1/2017 - post match bicker from pg.28

Greg

That's bullshit. We spent less than anyone else in real terms.

Alright Charnley.

What do you mean by that? We sold all of our best players and made a profit of over £30m. It has to be factored in. Of course we should be doing better with the players we have, but I expected our squad to be far stronger at the start of September and we're paying the price a bit now for the lack of genuine quality in several positions.

Alright Charnley.

What do you mean by that? We sold all of our best players and made a profit of over £30m. It has to be factored in. Of course we should be doing better with the players we have, but I expected our squad to be far stronger at the start of September and we're paying the price a bit now for the lack of genuine quality in several positions.

We have a better squad than everyone in this league (I'll say better team aswell) which aren't helped by tactics that don't get the best from the personnel.

Guest neesy111

Alright Charnley.

We have a better squad than everyone in this league (I'll say better team aswell) which aren't helped by tactics that don't get the best from the personnel.

I think that notation of us having the best squad is coming under serious fire.  The midfield minus 2-3 players is awful.  Colback man, I wouldn't wish him onto my enemies.

Alright Charnley.

I think that notation of us having the best squad is coming under serious fire.  The midfield minus 2-3 players is awful.  Colback man, I wouldn't wish him onto my enemies.

Because other teams would adapt their tactics to losing a player or so. Central midfield we have Shelvey, Hayden , Anita, Colback and Diame. Can other teams in this division lose 2 or 3 in a position and still be playing near first choices ?

Guest neesy111

My mate has said the amount of idiots in our end was at ridiculous levels today, quite of few of them massively on drugs.

Been awful second half like

Eh? It was basically the same as the end of the second half up until five minutes before they scored from a set piece.

We're playing Blackburn though, not Liverpool.

And we're Newcastle, not Liverpool.

You really think we were doing well in this half until they scored? What did we create?

There's no point discussing it, we clearly see things very differently.

You haven't even explained it. Should we accept two losses to Blackburn?

How can I explain it? You don't agree in the slightest. I felt we were still well in control and didn't see them holding out for the full 90 mins. We went off the boil for 5 mins and were hit by a classic sucker punch after a ludicrous foul from one of our worst players.

And obviously two defeats to Blackburn would be pretty terrible on paper. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate that we have deserved something from this match.

We deserved something from our games with Liverpool and - er- Blackburn back in 96 when we lost both....it cost us the title and you only get what you deserve - we were predictable and slow to build attacks and they won with their one real chance, given to them by a brain-dead idiot who should be manning a dust cart....oh, wait, that's an insult to guys that do....

Alright Charnley.

Because other teams would adapt their tactics to losing a player or so. Central midfield we have Shelvey, Hayden , Anita, Colback and Diame. Can other teams in this division lose 2 or 3 in a position and still be playing near first choices ?

Chomp.

With Shelvey out and Anita (correctly) being used exclusively as a fullback, that leaves only Colback, Hayden and Diame to play in three central midfield roles. It's clearly a position we need to address and not the strongest in the league.

Miserable result and a miserable set of late winners from Brighton and Reading.

Before the meltdown goes into full swing we completely dominated that game and had enough chances to win 3 games.

I hope this Cleverly loan happens because I don't want to ever look at Colback again. A few reinforcements this window will hopefully see us up.

All credit to the other Champ sides that won...they are showing the necessary character to come from behind in a pressurised situation and that is a quality this Newcastle team clearly lack. They managed it against Norwich by humping the ball long in injury time and getting lucky bounces(something they attempted in the last few minutes of this match and never looked like succeeding). I have said for a while that this team is FAR from certain to be promoted because they lack character, have become predictable and have been sussed out by other teams ; do not rule out a consistent challenge from Leeds either and Derby cannot be ruled out.

Colback should never play again but will because we have Africans heading away for weeks. Rafa will have a tough task getting new players because other clubs can see our situation and hold him to ransom...we also do not look the  certainties for promotion that we did a month ago.

You cannot pull other teams apart if you lack pace...and we do, in a big way especially with Colback in m/f.

If Rafa cannot get the players he wants - and the team clearly needs - we will struggle to avoid the Play-offs and heaven help us if THAT happens..

I want to believe that this is just a slow start to what Rafa's overall plan is and that it takes time to build from the bottom up... it's f***ing soul-destroying though when we aren't beating w*** teams in the Championship. We ARE better than this, whether our players don't believe in themselves or they're just losing motivation though is something that needs addressing, we shouldn't have to 'buy' the league via the January transfer window with the squad we have. There's no way we should be using the excuse that Shelvey being banned is the cause of our problems currently, it's ridiculous.

I think it's exactly a sign of Rafa's long term plan. Right now we need a settled side, a team that will win 7-8 games out of 10. This is what we are doing, a lot of our players will not be here long term, a lot of them which Rafa has signed. He's got a squad who should get those 6, 7, or 8 wins out of 10 for this league. As we move on they will gradually be phased out, first teamers now will drop down to squad players and then away from the club. The problem is when we lose those 3 games or so out of 10 we are losing them all at once. We need to keep composed though in order for Rafa's plan to work, with our position in the top 2 narrowing and NUFC's habit of shooting ourselves in the foot that is where the concern comes in.

All very well to talk about long-term plans....we don't HAVE long-term, we have to go up this season or Rafa will almost certainly be away and the club back to square one. If that happens, it could be YEARS before we get out of this league, look at the likes of Leeds and Sheff Weds..both well-supported clubs and have been down for years now...

Reflecting on yesterday i agree that while we were by miles the better team it counts for nothing, we spent the journey home with our tails between our legs, no points and tbh i felt like shit.

In reply to the comment of dickheads high on drugs at the match.......i went home and away throught the 80's n 90's and saw 1000x worse and tbh i thought our away fan base has changed, a more reserved less pissed up bunch to what i grew up with, no hint of trouble and while yes there was a lot of teens there i felt on the whole we we exceptionally well behaved.

Rafa is being tested, his squad aint all that it seems and is being proved,Shelvey being out has cost us our ONLY creative link and we look like we have no answer for it.we played better than the Forest game imho but it just wouldnt go in, devoid of a plan b is worrying, i was convinced Diame was the key yesterday but it was noticeable when he tired the team went to pieces.

Perez i think had 15 mins? I watched him hide the whole time, a disgrace, and also Ritchie at times was playing like a 13 year old following the ball wherever it went instead of staying wide and doing his job.

Cracks are there, this is now a massive few week possibly in our history as it could go either way , back on track etc or collapsing and heaven forbid stuck in this league for years?

Alright Charnley.

It's debatable imo. I remember sitting down to watch the Fulham game back in August and when the team was announced I looked at it and tbh it didn't fill me with much confidence. Clearly if we do go up serious investment is required. I do think Rafa should be getting more out of what he has been in the last couple of months though. Two 1-0 defeats v Blackburn is pathetic in all honesty. I mean they hadn't even won a game since they beat us last time.

Miserable result and a miserable set of late winners from Brighton and Reading.

Before the meltdown goes into full swing we completely dominated that game and had enough chances to win 3 games.

I hope this Cleverly loan happens because I don't want to ever look at Colback again. A few reinforcements this window will hopefully see us up.

All credit to the other Champ sides that won...they are showing the necessary character to come from behind in a pressurised situation and that is a quality this Newcastle team clearly lack. They managed it against Norwich by humping the ball long in injury time and getting lucky bounces(something they attempted in the last few minutes of this match and never looked like succeeding). I have said for a while that this team is FAR from certain to be promoted because they lack character, have become predictable and have been sussed out by other teams ; do not rule out a consistent challenge from Leeds either and Derby cannot be ruled out.

Colback should never play again but will because we have Africans heading away for weeks. Rafa will have a tough task getting new players because other clubs can see our situation and hold him to ransom...we also do not look the  certainties for promotion that we did a month ago.

You cannot pull other teams apart if you lack pace...and we do, in a big way especially with Colback in m/f.

If Rafa cannot get the players he wants - and the team clearly needs - we will struggle to avoid the Play-offs and heaven help us if THAT happens..

I think that's where our lack of creativity comes in, Shelvey aside. Its difficult to come from behind if you don't have players in a team who can create chances, and we only have Shelvey. I've seen nothing from any of our other midfielders that suggests they should be playing in the premiership.