Newcastle United 3-1 Birmingham - 18/01/2017 - Post-match reaction from page 14

Greg

Sels - 6 - typical Sels performance. No horrible blunders, but wasn't under much pressure.

Yedlin - 8 - Bossed the right flank from end to end.

Findley - 7 - Seemed very nervous initially, backed off a lot, a bit Saylor-esque. But grew into the game, didn't try anything too risky, played the ball from side to side, and made a good block or two.

Hanley - 9 - Thought he was tremendous in the air, very committed. Looks faster than the last time I saw him as well.

Lazaar - 7 - Really good defensively, didn't show much going forward.

Shelvey - 10 - 'Nuff said.

Tiote - 7 - Solid. Did one outrageous trick that got the crowd going. Customary booking for GBH, but gave a good showing on probably his last outing.

Ritchie - 8 - Best he's played in a while.

Barlaser - 7 - I didn't think he seemed nervous at all. Someone sat near me piped up about how composed he seemed. Thought he played well, though was anonymous for parts of the second half. One excellent driving run.

El-Mhanni - 5 - Didn't really do or offer anything, but some good tracking back (</Pardew>). Seemed slightly over-awed by the occasion.

Gouffran - 8 - His best performance in a while, ran the channels well, put in a good shift. Knackered by the end.

Would have been ridiculous if we'd thrown that away, totally one way traffic for 70 minutes. I haven't seen it back but Ritchie went through one on one and tried to lift it over the keeper who handled it outside the box, at least it looked like he did but it wasn't given. Tiote managed to 2 footed tackle thin air and Gouffran was pretty good but was totally shagged by the end. From the young lads, El-Mhanni may as well have been picked from the crowd, doesn't seem to know what run to make and wasn't able to beat his man at all. Barlaser probably had less than 40 touches and Findlay was quite comfortable but Birmingham just let him have the ball.

Shelvey is the man though, hopefully he stays out of trouble for the rest of the season

Was impressed with Findlay tonight and to a lesser extent Barlaser. Thought the young lad on the left lacked a little bit of assertiveness. All will come better with game time. Game looked comfortable and actually Gouffran did great up top. He is limited but he always gives you 200%. Made effective runs and we reaped the rewards having had our most creative midfielder back. Canny glad for Gouffran personally, takes loads of stick but has been a model pro for us and has rarely been played in the position we signed him as.

As well as the natural nervousness/unfamiliarity of being interviewed, you could hear what it meant for the lad, from Gateshead and at the club since he was 8, to play for the first team tonight  Can't tell whether in picking out the quote above you're: 1. your taking the p*ss out of his Geordie accent; 2. slating him for his birthday performance:the highlight thus far of 12 years of football 4+ times per week; 3. Saying you do the same. 1. Do you really want to do that? 2. Very harsh. 3. You & me both (... oh and David/everyone else).

I genuinely didn't know who Findlay and ElMhanni were. Neither did anything really wrong just both looked lacking experience. As did Barlaser. But that's obvious... I'd play them vs Oxford.

When I told my 8 year old who was playing tonight, he piped up with: "Ahhh El-Mhanni, he's cracking! He's just like Messi!!" Turns out this level of 'optimism(?)' is based on this:

I genuinely didn't know who Findlay and ElMhanni were. Neither did anything really wrong just both looked lacking experience. As did Barlaser. But that's obvious... I'd play them vs Oxford.

When I told my 8 year old who was playing tonight, he piped up with: "Ahhh El-Mhanni, he's cracking! He's just like Messi!!" Turns out this level of 'optimism(?)' is based on this:

The fact that you have spawned is genuinely terrifying to me.

Would have been ridiculous if we'd thrown that away, totally one way traffic for 70 minutes. I haven't seen it back but Ritchie went through one on one and tried to lift it over the keeper who handled it outside the box, at least it looked like he did but it wasn't given. Tiote managed to 2 footed tackle thin air and Gouffran was pretty good but was totally shagged by the end. From the young lads, El-Mhanni may as well have been picked from the crowd, doesn't seem to know what run to make and wasn't able to beat his man at all. Barlaser probably had less than 40 touches and Findlay was quite comfortable but Birmingham just let him have the ball.

Shelvey is the man though, hopefully he stays out of trouble for the rest of the season

1m 49s here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38671834

Very time consuming? :lol:

It would cost them pennies to hire someone to do it.

Aye, I don't understand that either. Not like it needs editing if it's just raw match footage with no commentary.  Isnt it basically just hitting 'upload' on a massive file and waiting? :lol:  What's hard/time consuming (other than the waiting, but surely they have more to do in that job than sit starting at a screen) about that.  Seems a no brainer to me, to do it

Just because there is the demand from a few people on here doesn't make it worth while.

They'd get watched a lot more than the U23 highlights they have on there imo.  If I had the choice between listening on the radio live, or watching the full thing on there a few hours later, I'd watch it every single time