The other games today 2017/18

Greg

:lol: Score the most points in the stage, fail to make the cut. Sounds about right, the way things are going for us about now.

The fact that you called goals points entitles you to less sympathy.

Suck me.

If you guys went ahead and made Panama you’re 51st state like you said you would then they wouldn’t have knocked you out.

Can’t wait for the Alaskan Bush people to knock you out in 4 years time.

:lol:

The American players goinf back to MLS for the easy life has not done this side any favours whatsoever. In fact I'd directly attribute it to the problems.

Had kid of forgotten about this, but those guys completely regressing in their prime since going back MLS is a huge reason why we we're so bad.

The American players goinf back to MLS for the easy life has not done this side any favours whatsoever. In fact I'd directly attribute it to the problems.

There’s not much evidence for that though. Of all the players who have returned from Europe, Bradley’s the only one who might realistically be playing in a top European league. Guzan and Altidore might be bouncing around the Eredivisie or Scotland. Howard was already finished, Dempsey came back before for the last World Cup and his form really hasn’t dropped for the U.S. since then, and Bedoya never really stuck even when he was in France.

In fact, I’d argue that having more MLS-based players has elevated the play of the rest of the teams in the confederation relative to the U.S. and that’s what’s made a big difference this cycle.

[/quote

100% correct

There’s not much evidence for that though. Of all the players who have returned from Europe, Bradley’s the only one who might realistically be playing in a top European league. Guzan and Altidore might be bouncing around the Eredivisie or Scotland. Howard was already finished, Dempsey came back before for the last World Cup and his form really hasn’t dropped for the U.S. since then, and Bedoya never really stuck even when he was in France.

In fact, I’d argue that having more MLS-based players has elevated the play of the rest of the teams in the confederation relative to the U.S. and that’s what’s made a big difference this cycle.

I'm pretty high right now, so I can't fully flesh out my opinion here, but Bradley was the biggest culprit. He's been awful for a few years now, and he's all we have in midfield except for some decent younger guys. I can understand why him and Altidore went back, or Gonzalez not leaving for Europe a few years ago, but when you're not testing yourself at the top level you're not going to progress. Fortunately the younger generation are taking risks in Europe right now and it's working out for them.

You're right about Central American countries getting better because of MLS, definitely.

Well I think that supports my point. All the teams have MLS players. It's levelled the playing field. You need players to be playing and thriving in any European leagues to have an edge over your opponents. Pulisic looks streets ahead of anybody else because he's been kept away from MLS and the entire system.

I'm sure it's only one issue but it's got to be relevant. MLS in its current guise might have a lot of positives but it is not a league that will push these players to the required level. Get them the fuck out of there.

I'm pretty high right now, so I can't fully flesh out my opinion here, but Bradley was the biggest culprit. He's been awful for a few years now, and he's all we have in midfield except for some decent younger guys. I can understand why him and Altidore went back, or Gonzalez not leaving for Europe a few years ago, but when you're not testing yourself at the top level you're not going to progress. Fortunately the younger generation are taking risks in Europe right now and it's working out for them.

:lol:

The players bear a significant burden for where we are now, but more than anything we’ve been dying for competent leadership for years. Klinsmann playing almost as many unique starting XIs as matches managed over five years, constantly coming out with zany bullshit, publicly undermining players. Arena being the same manager he was when he last managed us despite the game clearly evolving since then. And even more problematic is that nothing has been demanded of them. We still have no footballing ethos, no direction. It’s a massive clusterfuck run by incompetent morons.

Well I think that supports my point. All the teams have MLS players. It's levelled the playing field. You need players to be playing and thriving in any European leagues to have an edge over your opponents. Pulisic looks streets ahead of anybody else because he's been kept away from MLS and the entire system.

I'm sure it's only one issue but it's got to be relevant. MLS in its current guise might have a lot of positives but it is not a league that will push these players to the required level. Get them the fuck out of there.

U.S. players should absolutely be pushing themselves to get to Europe, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t think, with the exception of Bradley, the return of those who have come back is the root cause of our current predicament.

Jordan Morris, for example, is one who’s been hyped to fuck since college and I’ve yet to ever be impressed by him. Had a chance to sign for Wolfsburg (iirc, don’t quote me on that), but turned it down to stay home and play for Seattle. Sure doesn’t seem like it’s paid off.

Sunil Gulati is the most culpable here, hiring Arena simply because he "knows CONCACAF,"  employing only nine full-time scouts to watch talent from a massive nation, among so many other systematic things wrong with USSF. Arena's post-match quotes about not making big changes are damning, too, there was no way he can be k.ept on.

I think it's the whole thing. Those that have come back, those that won't make the leap, those that have gone and got lost. Looking at the squad for this game and basically the whole lot is MLS based.

Now the MLS is perhaps a good system for football in the US giving past failed leagues, and as much as I hate it I can totally understand why it is the way it is. But if you have this structure and salary cap there needs to be an acceptance that this structurally restricts the level and limits the potential of players. Even with an improved youth program, the aim has to be on jettisoning players to Europe ASAP.

Sunil Gulati is the most culpable here, hiring Arena simply because he "knows CONCACAF,"  employing only nine full-time scouts to watch talent from a massive nation, among so many other systematic things wrong with USSF. Arena's post-match quotes about not making big changes are damning, too, there was no way he can be k.ept on.

Unless Gulati goes I’d don't expect anything substantial to change. Arena will go but they’ll make some wildly uninspiring pick to replace him. Kreis, Vermes, Porter, some politically safe pick but certainly no one who’s ever been tested on the world stage.

Some of the goals in those games. Panama’s equaliser didn’t go in and the Honduras equaliser has the bloke miss a sitter against the bar comes back out and smacks off Ochoa’s bonce to fly in.

Probably cost Fifa a fortune in advertising revenue too which is always nice.

Well at least it avoids some unnecessary off field drama between the US and the hosts next summer. But how bad can you be not to get out of that qualifying zone. Losing to Trinidad itself was so pathetic seeing the opposition were bottom of the pile.