The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Don't want it for sendings offs or penalties or anything subjective. But over the line, inside outside the box penalty awards.

Make it like tennis and cricket, limited challenges per team.

Both are much more start / stop games.

When an offside striker scores - looks to linesman, no flag = goal. Drama. Don't want to fanny about for minutes on offsides. Offsides are also subjective to a degree.

Don't want it for sendings offs or penalties or anything subjective. But over the line, inside outside the box penalty awards.

Make it like tennis and cricket, limited challenges per team.

Both are much more start / stop games.

When an offside striker scores - looks to linesman, no flag = goal. Drama. Don't want to fanny about for minutes on offsides. Offsides are also subjective to a degree.

Just make it so that you need conclusive evidence to overturn a decision. If not, the original call stands.

It's not romanticism, it's more being afraid of it going too far the other way and destroying the essence of the game. Football is the only sport I watch on a regular basis, and one of those reasons is when I've tried others (Rugby Union, Rugby League, American Football) the stop-start nature of things makes it completely unwatchable. In Rugby they spend minutes on end watching and rewinding decisions, and half the time they still don't know for sure because of subjectivity or varying camera angles.

This is just my opinion, and there are others who enjoy those sports, and would perhaps enjoy the sacrifice of the tempo of the game in favour of increasing the percentage of correct decisions. For me it's an extremely fine margin that is being tread by doing so, and it doesn't take much to change the very fabric of the game. Technology that comes in has to be for cut and dry decisions and it has to be close to instant. For goal line stuff this was a no brainer as the technology is instantaneous. For other stuff, it's a lot harder. I would probably support technology that helps with offside decisions as I feel that could feasibly be done very quickly.

Which offsides though? All of them? Only ones that lead to goals?  What if one leads to a corner which in turn produces a goal?

There are some which are blatant on first viewing, but the linesman will miss them.  If the linesman sees them as blatant and says there's no need to video reply it, then what? Do you have the video refs overruling the on pitch refs? 

Could probably do offsides from some computer AI with sensors. I mean, cars are driving around without needing a driver now, they can surely teach computers to identify offsides. Same with balls going out for throw ins and corners. Computer should say when it goes out, linesman just needs to identify who it touched last, and even that could be automated.

Could probably do offsides from some computer AI with sensors. I mean, cars are driving around without needing a driver now, they can surely teach computers to identify offsides. Same with balls going out for throw ins and corners. Computer should say when it goes out, linesman just needs to identify who it touched last, and even that could be automated.

Been saying this for years.

Arturo Vidal is funny.

Screenshot_20170418-203742.0.png

It's clear referees are in dire need of more help at the top of the game. We're seeing far too many match critical decisions go wrong these days. Sooner they figure out the best way to help the better. And scrap the paid spectators, sorry, 5th and 6th officials they really do next to f*** all and that's being kind.

Personally would welcome video refs for match critical decisions. Yeah the game might have to stop for a moment or two but it be worth it to avoid seeing teams lose out unfairly.

I used to be totally against video referees but I'm for it now like.

That game last night was disgustingly bad, I mean look at the state of that red card and first offside decision. Two decisions that basically ruined the tie.

Been saying this for years.

Arturo Vidal is funny.

Wonder if he posted a "funny" pic of the "handball" that hit Carvajal's chest to win him the penalty that he missed in the first leg :iamatwat:

Fans of other German teams are probably feeling really bad for the poor minnows of Munich right now, for they most certainly haven't experienced the same thing time and time again in the Bundesliga.