The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Video technology is great. Don't agree with "it kills the excitement" or anything like that. What kills the excitement is having absolute dogshit decisions go against you and losing games as a result of them. I'm all for it.

Video technology is great. Don't agree with "it kills the excitement" or anything like that. What kills the excitement is having absolute dogshit decisions go against you and losing games as a result of them. I'm all for it.

For me bad decisions are part of the game. A discussion point. No need to be pissing about with multiple delays a game, particularly when decisions aren't often clear cut.

Game going to the dogs. Money talks.

For me bad decisions are part of the game. A discussion point. No need to be pissing about with multiple delays a game, particularly when decisions aren't often clear cut.

Game going to the dogs. Money talks.

:lol:

These arguments against video tech have been debunked for decades, have been demonstrably disproven time and again by virtually every other sport that has used video tech for years, yet these same old argument get doled out, getting in the way of bringing football, the biggest sport in the world, into the current century.

For fun, sit there with a stopwatch next time you're watching a Premier League game, any game, and stop-start each time there is a stoppage in play, and see how long those stoppages are. A fine-tuned video-replay decision is going to be  a fraction of these delays that already exist in footie, and will actually make the game better, fairer, and not screw up a team's fortunes due to horrendous decision-making and, in some cases, actual matchfixing / cheating in other shitty leagues.

Well absolutely nothing I've said has been demonstrably disproven like but there you go.

All you need to do is watch that pilot tonight and it's apparent it has a negative effect on the spectacle. Football should be as close as possible at the top level as it is at grassroots. The money riding on the decisions is the only driving force behind this, it's a lowda wet.

I'd be really interested to see how video will work and how far it will go. Part of me would rather it was just a second referee watching the game on TV all the time, in constant dialog with the on-field ref so it's seamless.

Stoppages are going to be difficult, as challenges would be. I can see situations where you check to see if there's an offside but it turns out something else was wrong, or the video is inconclusive. Also can't see it stopping diving, which is the worst offence in football at the moment, because every contact looks worse in slo-mo.

Interesting for sure.

Like with tennis, cricket, etc., it took years before they fine-tuned the process of video-replays, and finally now it's pretty quick and seamless. Ian's suggestions are great, and these are the convos we should be having to explore how we can make this tech a part of the game in the long term. Another solution is keeping it like cricket: only one or two decisions can be referred, so you only get maximum of 0 to 2 replays, rest is business as usual. This way it's only used for the most contentious of calls, instead of pulling up video each time Hazard dives.

You'll still get debate. For example Spain shouldn't of been given a penalty as the lad just runs into the back of him whilst the defender gets in between the ball and him facing the ball. At worst obstruction and therefore indirect free kick in the box or has that rule been removed?

The thing is it's not seamless in the slightest. In cricket & NFL referred decisions take minutes to resolve. Tennis is different in that there isn't really any room for interpretation.

The amount of decisions that we all fail to agree on after dozens of replays anarl. Tbh I'll never be won over, the game needs to be au naturale.

I'm against it like. Fine for yes/no decisions (like the goal line), but there aren't very many of those. The ones that are obvious are already picked up virtually every time.

The thing is it's not seamless in the slightest. In cricket & NFL referred decisions take minutes to resolve. Tennis is different in that there isn't really any room for interpretation.

The amount of decisions that we all fail to agree on after dozens of replays anarl. Tbh I'll never be won over, the game needs to be au naturale.

I see both sides of this argument, but do you really think the game nowadays is anywhere near "au naturale"? Something needs to be done to make the game more honest, perhaps this is the way...