The other games today 2017/18

Greg

I'm sure Huddersfield's staff and fans couldn't give a flying fuck what their form is like [emoji38]

They did well over the course of the season and earnt it. They only dropped from 3rd because they were rotating and resting players.

Lets not all sit here like we're the kings of the world, this tinpot rugby club were a Derby equaliser away from putting us under huge amounts of pressure.

They dropped from third because they shit their pants.

Seems an odd time to shit their pants, being under absolutely no pressure at all at the time of most of their bad results

Even after the Derby game they were still in a decent position (they had a extra game over reading), they followed that up by losing 4-1 to Fulham and losing third place, they shit their pants.

I can't find Shintonghost's original post to quote, but he made the remark that we are crazy to expect mid table from our team. Simple question, had Rafa been in charge the season we went down with that squad would he'd have had the same results as McClaren or would we have been mid table or thereabouts ? The correct answer is not the first option there. It was not the squad that necessarily got us relegated that season it was the total ineptitude of the manager, I still maintain it was a squad more than capable of staying in the top flight. We've lost an aging Colo and Taylor from the back, Janmaat, Gini, Sissoko, Townsend (for half a season) and a well past his sell by date Cisse. We've arguably replaced them with better players, I would certainly take Clark and Lascelles ahead of those two in centre defence, hell our best CB that year couldn't get a game this season because of them. Janmaat and Yedlin are pretty even in my book, Townsend and Ritchie too, Diame is nowhere near Gini or Sissoko, however Gayle is a light year ahead of the Cisse of cica 2015. Hayden of today versus Tiote then, it's not close in my mind.

People keep saying how we are not good enough, a huge amount of work needs to be done and how we'll need to spend 70 - 100 million just to stay up. That's all bollocks. I still think Rafa will change the squad considerably and spend close to that 100 million figure but that's because he's not happy just to settle for survival or even a low mid table spot. He'll be looking top 10 for sure and if you look past the top 6 teams in the PL along with Everton, there is really nothing there to scare anyone, you could basically put a blanket over all the teams from 8th down.

Anyway completely nothing to do with this thread but whatever. Oh and by the way I'm supposed to be the pessimistic bastard on here :)

Not sure how Huddersfield shit their pants, no more than we or Brighton did in all honesty. After that Derby equaliser they knew they were pretty much garuantee a play off place (possibly were). Towards the end the rotated their squad in a gamble to be ready for the play offs, they have won that gamble. Once your in the play offs it's very much a whole bunch of nothing where you finish, and you can pretty much see how Huddersfield were focussing for the play offs rather than giving it all to gain an advantage that in reality doesn't exists. Looking at all the teams in there it was only ever Huddersfield who pushed us and Brighton at any point during the season, despite Reading and Sheffield Wednesday finishing above them.

I can't find Shintonghost's original post to quote, but he made the remark that we are crazy to expect mid table from our team. Simple question, had Rafa been in charge the season we went down with that squad would he'd have had the same results as McClaren or would we have been mid table or thereabouts ? The correct answer is not the first option there. It was not the squad that necessarily got us relegated that season it was the total ineptitude of the manager, I still maintain it was a squad more than capable of staying in the top flight. We've lost an aging Colo and Taylor from the back, Janmaat, Gini, Sissoko, Townsend (for half a season) and a well past his sell by date Cisse. We've arguably replaced them with better players, I would certainly take Clark and Lascelles ahead of those two in centre defence, hell our best CB that year couldn't get a game this season because of them. Janmaat and Yedlin are pretty even in my book, Townsend and Ritchie too, Diame is nowhere near Gini or Sissoko, however Gayle is a light year ahead of the Cisse of cica 2015. Hayden of today versus Tiote then, it's not close in my mind.

People keep saying how we are not good enough, a huge amount of work needs to be done and how we'll need to spend 70 - 100 million just to stay up. That's all bollocks. I still think Rafa will change the squad considerably and spend close to that 100 million figure but that's because he's not happy just to settle for survival or even a low mid table spot. He'll be looking top 10 for sure and if you look past the top 6 teams in the PL along with Everton, there is really nothing there to scare anyone, you could basically put a blanket over all the teams from 8th down.

Anyway completely nothing to do with this thread but whatever. Oh and by the way I'm supposed to be the pessimistic bastard on here :)

it's all a game of opinions  O0

Probably Giggs, but Skybet has Huddersfield at 8/13 for relegation. It's very likely, but 8/13 ?!?!

btw, we're sixth favourites at 7/2.

Burton were 8/13 to be relegated from this Championship this season fwiw.

Huddersfield are probably a team that could have a one-season wonder and stay up, then drop like a sack of shit the following season.

If there is going to be a post season thing, it should be premiership vs la liga. Take 20th vs 20th, all the way to 1st vs 1st, so every side only has one game. Do it over a weekend, all throughout the day, so most of them are on tv. Draw out of a hat for home vs away. Last game would be the best two sides. League with the most points would win a little trophy.

Would be ace!

Probably Giggs, but Skybet has Huddersfield at 8/13 for relegation. It's very likely, but 8/13 ?!?!

btw, we're sixth favourites at 7/2.

Seems like a good deal that given the teams in the league next season.

I'd like a play off for a fourth relegation spot from the next four teams above the relegated 3 teams. This Turd Bowl would stop owners/teams like Ashley/Pulis fc giving up at 40 points

I like this idea. It narrows the margin of error for zombie clubs and 'bum' & incompetant owners like Ashley (who sanction Jan sell-offs without replacing key players, because 40 points or close to it have been banked).

Although when the stakes are this high keep any such play-off/s away from Wembley - lower placed teams have to travel to an away venue. This way the previous 38 fixtures still have value.

Guest Howaythetoon

Happy for Huddersfield tbh. I don't get the hate. They have shown ambition to be a PL club and achieved the dream so good luck to them. Far better than Reading who have been there and not done it. Its a two fingers up to the muppets who commentate, pundit and write about our game as well that clubs need proven British managers with experience etc. No they don't they need good coaches and good management throughout and anything can be achieved. Little old Huddersfield in the PL with a relatively rookie manager and a side that cost bobbins. That's what footy should be all about. I'd far rather they stayed up than say Stoke who simply just want to survive. Obviously if they ended up being that type of club I'd want shot of them as well. I say little btw, they are a historical club in English football.

Guest chopey

Italy 3-0 up against San Marino in a friendly within 15 minutes. This could end up being a cricket score :lol:

It really couldnt, both sports are scored diferently.

The UK must be one of the only countries in Europe that doesn't get the CL on basic TV

It kind of is, because it's on Freeview which is effectively terrestrial now.

The UK must be one of the only countries in Europe that doesn't get the CL on basic TV

Is that not just the final though?

Which Freeview channel is it on? ???