The other games today 2017/18

Greg

This is fucking stupid like, everyone who claimed video officiating was shit was right :lol:

I operated correctly, the concept is a good one, but that was an absolute farce :lol:

I'd be all for blatant offsides being overturned but it's impossible to keep any consistency, who decides the cut off point? Being potentialy an inch offside was never really a problem but if they're to use the technology correctly (or try to) many of those close calls are going to end up like this.

I can't remember who it was, but someone mentioned something similar, that it has to be clear cut and something that isn't opinionated, so like offsides, goal line clearances etc, but not whether deciding if a foul is a foul or not.

Guest neesy111

Video refs have way more angles than the broadcasters have btw

Not bothered personally. Justice for the shit call to rule out the Cameroon goal earlier :cool:

Aye it's obviously offside, it never needed to be perfect though. That shite isn't good for the game.

So it's ok for tight offside's to be incorrectly called?

Then they should be made public.

Exactly. If they are going to use it then the viewer and fans (in stadiums with a big screen) should get all the angles and also the discussion between the video ref and normal ref should be heard on the telly

Guest neesy111

This is fucking stupid like, everyone who claimed video officiating was shit was right :lol:

I operated correctly, the concept is a good one, but that was an absolute farce :lol:

I'd be all for blatant offsides being overturned but it's impossible to keep any consistency, who decides the cut off point? Being potentialy an inch offside was never really a problem but if they're to use the technology correctly (or try to) many of those close calls are going to end up like this.

I can't remember who it was, but someone mentioned something similar, that it has to be clear cut and something that isn't opinionated, so like offsides, goal line clearances etc, but not whether deciding if a foul is a foul or not.

That's fine, because you remove the human interpretation from it.  Technology should be there to aid officials when they can't 100% be certain of a situation.

Exactly. If they are going to use it then the viewer and fans (in stadiums with a big screen) should get all the angles and also the discussion between the video ref and normal ref should be heard on the telly

I agree with you on this to be honest.  But this is the first major tournament with it. The main thing right now is them to get the decisions correct. I'm sure more things (such as this) can come later

I'm gonna be sick.

Guest neesy111

I'm gonna be sick.

Why?

it would make the public understand how these decisions are made and make the system transparent.

Aye as well as that, in the game earlier a Portugal goal got disallowed for an offside from about 10 seconds before the goal. If you go back far enough in any goal there'll be a foul or offside

Not bothered personally. Justice for the shit call to rule out the Cameroon goal earlier :cool:

Aye it's obviously offside, it never needed to be perfect though. That shite isn't good for the game.

Eh? You're either offside or you're not. :lol:

I'm gonna be sick.

Why?

it would make the public understand how these decisions are made and make the system transparent.

Well, on a fundamental level I don't believe there's any need for 'VAR', but specifically regarding the listenable discussion - I'd rather minimise anything that turns the sport into more of a popcorn flick.

I'm gonna be sick.

Why? If they're going to use it the thought process of the video refs needs to be heard

The whole discussion now surrounds some shite technology.

What a vile, sadistic system. Keep the sport pure.

Pretty hard to reconcile this with the vitriol that gets spewed at the refs each weekend.

I'm gonna be sick.

Why?

The amount of protection referees get is insane tbh, they should be made to TV interviews after games imo, and if they make a mistake, own up to it and just say why they made the decision they did, people would instantly be much more understanding to them.

I'm gonna be sick.

Why?

Well, on a fundamental level I don't believe there's any need for 'VAR', but specifically regarding the listenable discussion - I'd rather minimise anything that turns the sport into more of a popcorn flick.

Its better than everyone just standing around not having a clue what's going on for a minute

Guest neesy111

I'm gonna be sick.

Why?

The amount of protection referees get is insane tbh, they should be made to TV interviews after games imo, and if they make a mistake, own up to it and just say why they made the decision they did, people would instantly be much more understanding to them.

Referees in other sports don't do TV interviews, why the hell should football do it?  It actually would undermine them.

Also they don't get an insane amount of protection, football is played such a pace now that it's terribly hard for them to interpret a situation in a split second and make a decision they are completely happy with.

It always has been, for over a hundred years, so yeah. There's a point where too much technological advancement is pushed into the game and based off that goal this is it.

Eh? You're either offside or you're not. :lol:

I don't think you've understood what I've said there like, the process never needed to be perfect.

Not bothered personally. Justice for the s*** call to rule out the Cameroon goal earlier :cool:

Aye it's obviously offside, it never needed to be perfect though. That s**** isn't good for the game.

Ive always maintained yes. End of the day offside was only brought in to stop goal hanging. If a defence is going to live off an offside trap which ultimately shrinks the game then I say let them die by the sword occasionally. Attacking team should always get the benefit of the doubt if there is any. Not followed the full thread but with regards to that image posted I'd want that to be deemed onside.