The other games today 2017/18

Greg

It's pretty funny like as the link to this forum that used to be on my homepage took me to a page in an old Other Games thread where he was being absolutely slaughtered for being absolutely shite :lol: I think even Leffe didn't rate him too much.

I know he was young but he seemed to pretty much turn world class overnight.

Guest firetotheworks

Have to wait till he does it in the latter stages of the Champions League to say that

I think him doing it against the English teams who regularly get the latter stages is a fair indication of what he's capable of against the non-English teams in the latter stages.

Have to wait till he does it in the latter stages of the Champions League to say that

I think him doing it against the English teams who regularly get the latter stages is a fair indication of what he's capable of against the non-English teams in the latter stages.

What English teams regularly get to the latter stages?

Guest firetotheworks

It's pretty funny like as the link to this forum that used to be on my homepage took me to a page in an old Other Games thread where he was being absolutely slaughtered for being absolutely shite [emoji38] I think even Leffe didn't rate him too much.

I know he was young but he seemed to pretty much turn world class overnight.

Even after his first season I thought he'd drift away once defenders worked out what he was doing. Even now I'm surprised by him because most of what he does looks really basic, but he's just so good at the fundamentals of the game in the same way that Shearer was.

Will be interesting to see how Kane and Spurs as a whole get on against Real Madrid

I don't think that's fair like, we can safely say Shearer is one of the greatest English strikers ever, perhaps the greatest, without him doing it against Madrid.

Means Tino Asprilla is one of the best strikers of all time

Guest firetotheworks

Here we go.

All of them generally get beyond the group stages. If you're talking semi finals and the final, Spurs aren't getting there or competing enough for him to be able to prove anything.

Just shows how important your off the ball work is at the top level.

He's absolutely fantastic at making runs off the ball to create space for those behind him and himself. Which makes him ridiculously dangerous.

In terms of that particular skillset he's the best in the league by far.

Will be interesting to see how Kane and Spurs as a whole get on against Real Madrid

I don't think that's fair like, we can safely say Shearer is one of the greatest English strikers ever, perhaps the greatest, without him doing it against Madrid.

I was just saying in general it will be interesting to see how he gets on. He doesn't specifically have to be brilliant against them although I think to be called the best striker in the world he has to prove it on the biggest stage against the best teams and this season looks like the time he might do just that

Of course it's fair, it's the tournament which the greats are judged on and what places them above the rest.

It's why Mbappe was getting insane hype, because he was toying with the best teams around.

It's not even about Madrid, Spurs went out in the Group stage last year. Getting to the KO stages would be a start.

Here we go.

All of them generally get beyond the group stages. If you're talking semi finals and the final, Spurs aren't getting there or competing enough for him to be able to prove anything.

What do you mean "here we go"? [emoji38] Do you think the English teams over the last 5 years have been as good as Barca, Real, Atletico, Bayern, Juve? That's what I'm talking about. The English look like they'll make a bit of a comeback in Europe this season however

Of course it's fair, it's the tournament which the greats are judged on and what places them above the rest.

It's why Mbappe was getting insane hype, because he was toying with the best teams around.

It's not even about Madrid, Spurs went out in the Group stage last year. Getting to the KO stages would be a start.

I read Triggs post wrong tbh.

For some reason read it as him putting massive emphasis on this one game which obviously he never did at all :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

I doubt anyone will break Shearer's record, you are talking insane figures. Kane is arguably the best all round centre-forward at the moment though, ridiculously good.

Guest firetotheworks

Here we go.

What do you mean "here we go"? [emoji38] Do you think the English teams over the last 5 years have been as good as Barca, Real, Atletico, Bayern, Juve? That's what I'm talking about. The English look like they'll make a bit of a comeback in Europe this season however

No I don't, but nor was that what you originally said or asked tbf.

FWIW, I think it's a bit of an oddity to gauge your opinion on a player based the team they face beyond a certain point, when obviously it's a team sport. It's a bit 'Messi needs to win the world cup' for me once you get to that level, because no individual is going to overcome those teams without a team that can already compete with them.

Here we go.

FWIW, I think it's a bit of an oddity to gauge your opinion on a player based the team they face beyond a certain point, when obviously it's a team sport. It's a bit 'Messi needs to win the world cup' for me once you get to that level, because no individual is going to overcome those teams without a team that can already compete with them.

It's not really that, just Kane until this season had done nothing in Europe's elite competition. It's completely fair to hold off on calling someone the best till they prove it against the best imo.

Here we go.

Those five teams have been consistently in the latter stages of the Champions League in recent years. No English team has so no it's not the same as just doing it against the English teams in the PL up until this season anyway. That was my point.

I think Spurs are capable of competing with any team in Europe and not getting embarrassed. A striker should of course be judged by what they do up against the best defenders when they won't get as much space or as many chances. It's common sense when you are talking about how to rate a player who you think is the best in the world in their position

Guest firetotheworks

I doubt anyone will break Shearer's record, you are talking insane figures. Kane is arguably the best all round centre-forward at the moment though, ridiculously good.

Shearer's record isn't an insane figure anymore like. We're into the era of a goal a game strikers now and Kane could average 18 goals a season from now until 2027 and beat the record.