Newcastle United lose Judicial Review against HMRC

ChrisMcQuillan

Surely Ashley sells up and the individuals get done, not the club?

My belief (in blind hope) is that

If they all stay, i'd think the club would also get backlash as a punishment to them.

If they all leave, they won't just get off scott free leaving the everything on the club (who theoretically are innocent as nobody there now would have perpetuated it)

Therefore, it would make sense to sell the club whilst the stock is high and let those individuals take the flak instead of it being devalued.

I can't be bothered to type it out more clearly.

HMRC have no jurisdiction to dock points or demote leagues. The FA won’t force it, not when it’s more than likely we aren’t the only ones doing this (wham & chelsea also investigated). It’ll be widespread, not us coming up with some new scheme, so the FA will have to be real careful as it might be us this year but two years down the line it could be one of their star pupils. You think they’ll do the same to them? No chance. Then we’d have them over a barrel.

Hefty fines (think the figures were less than £2m so even if it were ten times that amount we’d cope) and hopefully prison sentences for those involved. It’s not a sporting matter so the punishment can’t be aimed at the club on the field. If you say we gain advantage by saving money, then we’d be able to prove the amount saved wouldn’t give us any real points advantage and we’ve since lost any advantage being relegated. Additionally we won’t be able to pay any fines levied at us in the conference, it’s much better for hmrc to get their pound of flesh from us where we are.

This if we’ve actually done anything wrong, still no evidence of that apart from paper talk.

If we are even guilty of anything, as soon as any court case to prosecuted is brought up then the club would be instructing the lawyers to see how much in fines it would take for them to drop legal action. HMRC would much rather take the income from fines then paying the risk to go to court where they could end up with nothing and a large legal fee to pay.

Remember when Spurs were deducted 12 points, fined £600k and booted out of the FA Cup in the mid 90s due to financial irregularities, only to be given their points back, put back in the FA Cup, and just had their fine doubled instead?

I know Spurs have their own transfer deadlines and stuff, but I hope they remember this if we are guilty...

When comparing the two instances, and what goes against us, could be argued that we have arguably been more obstructive (than Spurs). Spurs owned up to what they did, Charnley and Co chose to mislead the FA (deleted emails, Penfold's dishonest actions have been noted).

If guilty i don't the expect the club to receive any leniency, re: the precedent you have highlighted, because Charnley and Co have obstructed (even the failed appeal doesn't look good) & led the authorities on a wild goose chase from the get go.

What a load of bollocks. As usual  :lol:

What factual evidence has come to light or is in the public domain, to date, which could in any way substantiate

those statements you have made ?

The club's a PLC so I doubt it. Don't think anything will come out of this tbh but it's still absolutely mad we're even having to talk about this. Hope Ashley fucking dies.

The club isn't a Plc, there aren't any shares that are publicly traded.

In the FA choose to do anything off the back of this, in theory it shouldn't be the sporting fortune of the club that is held accountable, i.e. no points deduction... unless it is proven that we've gained an unfair advantage over competitors in the transfer market and hence on the pitch. Do we think we've systematically beaten other teams to desirable signings due to this?

If anything I reckon a fine might have to be paid, but no doubt Ashley will pay that out of our transfer war-chest  :cheesy:

His image will be tainted but he clearly doesn't give a fuck about that.

Pretty sure the FA already said when we were first raised that it’s not a footballing matter and they are not interested in it. No doubt Chelsea and West Ham being involved as well had some bearing on that decision being made.

The club's a PLC so I doubt it. Don't think anything will come out of this tbh but it's still absolutely mad we're even having to talk about this. Hope Ashley f***ing dies.

The club isn't a Plc, there aren't any shares that are publicly traded.

In the FA choose to do anything off the back of this, in theory it shouldn't be the sporting fortune of the club that is held accountable, i.e. no points deduction... unless it is proven that we've gained an unfair advantage over competitors in the transfer market and hence on the pitch. Do we think we've systematically beaten other teams to desirable signings due to this?

If anything I reckon a fine might have to be paid, but no doubt Ashley will pay that out of our transfer war-chest  :cheesy:

His image will be tainted but he clearly doesn't give a f*** about that.

Can't PLCs be privately held by another PLC? In Ashley's case, MASH? I'm probably wrong like.

Remember when Spurs were deducted 12 points, fined £600k and booted out of the FA Cup in the mid 90s due to financial irregularities, only to be given their points back, put back in the FA Cup, and just had their fine doubled instead?

I know Spurs have their own transfer deadlines and stuff, but I hope they remember this if we are guilty...

When comparing the two instances, and what goes against us, could be argued that we have arguably been more obstructive (than Spurs). Spurs owned up to what they did, Charnley and Co chose to mislead the FA (deleted emails, Penfold's dishonest actions have been noted).

If guilty i don't the expect the club to receive any leniency, re: the precedent you have highlighted, because Charnley and Co have obstructed (even the failed appeal doesn't look good) & led the authorities on a wild goose chase from the get go.

What a load of bollocks. As usual  :lol:

What factual evidence has come to light or is in the public domain, to date, which could in any way substantiate

those statements you have made ?

As alleged by the HRMC in court, entered into the public domain, quoted from The Mirror article the other day.

The Magpies MD faced some withering criticism in the court document. HMRC investigator Griffiths accused Charnley of having “a track record of dishonesty” and claimed “he could not be trusted”.

Griffiths said: “Mr Charnley had demonstrated his lack of honesty by misleading the FA officials who had interviewed him.

“This was founded on Mr Griffiths’ view that Mr Stainrod (the agent who has had files already seized by HMRC) had told the truth in his interview with HMRC, which axiomatically meant that Mr Charnley had not told the truth when he advanced a different story in his interview with the FA.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-united-facing-major-tax-11305023.amp

Quite happy to lean towards the HMRC's case, or what they allege, given the club's previous form and how it's operated for a decade plus which has seen club officials effectively been labelled as liars and misleaders in court before (ie. Keegangate). It's how Ashley's SportsDirect United rolls.

Enjoy the view from the sandpit, as well as the club's protestations along the lines "we woz treated unfairly by dem, it's like dey were a SWAT team or sumthun".

I don't understand people like Charnley. What makes some two-bit former chai-walla so loyal to his boss that he's willing to mislead government agencies? Why not just fucking quit?

And do what? He's a fraud with no real professional experience, no professional football club would let him run the bloody ticket office, let alone be Managing Director and he isn't going to get any real job for a proper private business.